Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2020, 07:37 AM   #1
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Large Used Tank Questions before buying and transportation

Hey all,

I am not necessarily new, but I have never bought a used tank before, and about to buy a BIG used one.

I did some research on what to look for and I am going to see the tank this Saturday before buying and picking it up the following Saturday.

The deal is kind of unbeatable which makes me nervous, full 240g tank setup including, 3 Kessil 360 and 4 vipar spectrum light boxes, 90 gallon sump, apex classic with two energy bars, protein skimmer, return pump, the works, only for $2000.

The main thing I am worried about is the seal of the tank, the tank is about eight years old, two owners, first had it for six, current has had it for two.

Main things to look for, excess bubbles in the seal between glass panels, chips in the glass, any salt creep at the base of the tank or edges.

I already am planning on resealing the inner silicone of the tank as it is eight years old.

Is there anything major I should look for when I go up saturday? The tank is currently up and running, upon inspection on Saturday and the approval of buying it, the previous owners will begin to break it down for transport the following week.

For transport I plan on renting a 10' uhaul, as putting an eight foot tank in my 5' bed just doesn't seem smart. I also plan on putting a thick foam/rubber pad under the tank in the uhaul to prevent damages while traveling (1h 30 minutes distance).

Thoughts/concerns/missing anything?

Excited to be part of the reefing community again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110094269_10217492537245349_1595154783308761647_n.jpg (38.9 KB, 26 views)
PaulieReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It sounds like a good deal and it sounds like you're covering all the bases. It's great that you can see it in action before deciding. I can't think of anything else you could do. Maybe let a little air out of the trailer tires? It may be a good idea to contact some glass tank builders and ask for transport pointers.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you can get big styrofoam sheet for it to sit on, plus some U-Haul big orange straps with takeup ratchet to keep it steady and prevent rolling---it would help. I'd also use cardboard scrap to brace the sides and inside, to cushion against any point-impact in some highway desperation maneuver. Hopefully the transport will be gentle and emergency-free. Definitely have your help lined up and heavily bribed with pizza to get that item safely indoors.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 02:10 PM   #4
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
If you can get big styrofoam sheet for it to sit on, plus some U-Haul big orange straps with takeup ratchet to keep it steady and prevent rolling---it would help. I'd also use cardboard scrap to brace the sides and inside, to cushion against any point-impact in some highway desperation maneuver. Hopefully the transport will be gentle and emergency-free. Definitely have your help lined up and heavily bribed with pizza to get that item safely indoors.
Good ideas!

Unread 08/09/2020, 03:14 PM   #5
outssider
Registered Member

I would check carefully for scratches. That's something you'll have to live with forever. Also I wouldn't reseal it unless it's bad, you may end up doing more harm than good unless you really know what your doing

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2020, 04:35 PM   #6
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
I would check carefully for scratches. That's something you'll have to live with forever. Also I wouldn't reseal it unless it's bad, you may end up doing more harm than good unless you really know what your doing
Few scratches but nothing noticeable stepping back from the tank. As far as resealing, going to have to do it, the seals arn't terrible, but I don't want to have to do it in a few years when the tank is setup and established.

I will be doing a week long leak test after I reseal it and let it cure.

Unread 08/10/2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

New silicone will not adhere to old silicone.
Good Luck with it.

Unread 08/10/2020, 11:31 AM   #8
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
New silicone will not adhere to old silicone.
Good Luck with it.
Yup! I ordered a scrapper and some acetate, so it has a nice clean new surface!

Unread 08/11/2020, 04:01 PM   #9
PaulieReef
Registered Member

After much discussion, decided to just hiring a moving company that is fully insured. $575 bucks to move it, I feel is worth it.

Unread 08/11/2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2020, 05:09 PM   #11
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieReef View Post
After much discussion, decided to just hiring a moving company that is fully insured. $575 bucks to move it, I feel is worth it.
It's such a large setup, you are best to have professionals move it. I can't imagine moving a 240 gallon tank !

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2020, 05:57 PM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

3 guys moved my 250-- should have seen the odd guy on 1 end.

Unread 08/12/2020, 06:51 AM   #13
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieReef View Post
i was coming here to say just this. professional movers are never a bad idea with large tanks.

i bought a large used tank a few years back (160g oceanic) and it was something else to marshal around. even with 3 large, strong people, we had a hell of a time getting it in the van and in the house.

as for the price. wanting to get rid of a big tank is a powerful motivator. i paid $900ish for mine (used) when i bought it, it came with some equipment. i sold/traded/gave away most of the equipment that i didn't need. used the tank for several years, and when it came time to get rid of it, i couldn't find any takers.

i ended up cutting the asking price all the way down to $250 with some free frags, still no bites. so i finally threatened to just call 1800gotjunk on my local reef group and someone finally came and got it for free.

there's a real niche market for large tanks. to some people they're quite valuable, to others, just a hassle, and that outlook can change quickly.

as far as the seal goes... my tank was built in 2005 and still had the original seals. it had been through 3 owners and was still tight as a drum. if those original seals look like they're in good shape, i would probably just leave them alone myself. if it ain't broke, ya know?

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote