Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2013, 09:15 AM   #76
travis32
Registered Member

I just got a Sohal for my 230gallon piano wave shaped tank (6 ft long). It is around 4-5" in length, very good coloration. It was at the LFS for a year in a reef tank. Doing very well.. So far I've fed it Rods food, which it ate some, but wasn't overly excited about. It was way more excited when I fed formula 1 flake... (Maybe what the LFS fed it?) Looks like I have to get some nori for it too to keep agression down.

Right now I have a couple rocks that are covered in fuzzy algae, it loves LOVES nipping at that algae. Several spots that are cleaned off down to the rock in under 2 days. I figure live algae is healthier than nori probably.

So far it is chasing my hippo around at times, my hippo was the bully.. It would go attack my chromises just to keep them separated... lol.

So far the agression is simply chasing type stuff. And it's funny the hippo goes and hides in his cave and the Sohal runs around looking for him. I'm not worried since it's only been a couple days and neither of them fights the other for food.. So, I think it'll be o.k.

The sohal will be my only showfish though. I need to add a pair of clowns, and would like a dragonet or two eventually. But, I think those should be safe additions at some point.. hopefully.

I'm looking forward to see this fish's personality develop. It doesn't seem overly agressive so far, but, it is for a very active fish!

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2015, 04:34 PM   #77
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Hallo@all

I have a 1450 gallon SPS only tank. I thing about a pair of powder blue and one Sohal.

I am also plan some pair of angels. Pair Genicanthus semifasciatus, pair Apolemichthys xanthopunctatos, pair Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus, pair Pomacanthus navarchus, pair Holacanthus tricolor, and one Pomacanthus imperator or Pomacanthus annularis.

Is this list works together with a Sohal? Or risk to high?

Greetings Tow

Last edited by Achilles Torben; 05/22/2015 at 04:55 PM.
Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 03:38 PM   #78
Joke
Registered Member

There easy to care fir if you have a 6 foot tank. Do not put one in any less. When i got my first one i had him in my 4 1/2 foot long thank for 4 years it got to the point where every fish were hiding even during feeding time. You can keep them in a 4-5 foot tank but i strongly dont recommend it as they wil turn into a killer. Ive had success keepinging one in a 7 foot predator tank thinking he would becom aggressive but turns out to be the most peaceful fish in all my tanks. He is happy and growing soon will be the 6th year in my tank

Joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 04:03 PM   #79
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

They are easy to care for when small but they olny get more aggressive with size and anything under the 300g mark should be avoided like the plague. 8ft tank length is good 10ft is better

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 03:36 AM   #80
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Hello, thank you. My tank is 12.5 ft. My riff is in the middle of the tank so the fish have two sides and can swim cycles.

I visit somebody who have the second Sohal. The first was a beast the second friendly. But now I often heard when they grow they are terrible to new bigger tankmates. My idea is to put him at least. And when I have to introduce another big fish I catch the Sohal an put him into Qt (150 gallon) for two weeks.

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 05:13 PM   #81
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Every fish is different... I spoke to somebody on RC that has kept over a dozen Sohals and only 3 were mean. This includes large ones as well.

I almost feel a large Hippo / YB Blue Tang has just as much chance as being aggressive.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2015, 12:28 PM   #82
Red Sea reefer
Registered Member

I had one about 6.5 " he was eating good and doing good and never been aggressive to any other fishes even for the new add he don't care be just swimming all over the tank , the tank was small it's 160 gallon and he was doing great tell he end up ate by my anemone
And am planning to get another one , this fish is my favorite .

Red Sea reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 04:41 PM   #83
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Mines maybe about 4" and could care less about tank mates. Love this tang. Lively, always active.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2020, 03:18 PM   #84
Salty150
Registered Member

This thread needs a revival.

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote