Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Dsekula
Registered Member

Anemone and powerheads

Hi to all those fellow anemone keepers!!
When originally setting up my tank one of the topics I looked into was how to successfully keep the two mentioned items (an anemone and powerhead) as "tank mates". Maybe we can share or successful and unsuccessful attempts at diy fixing the inherent issue with this. After two years using my chosen fix I feel I can give the honest pros and cons.
I personally used pvc repair screen (like for screen doors) adheared with high temp hot glue cut to size. I've had my bubble tip sit on the mesh temporary without issues. The down side to this is algae will grow on the mesh and gunk gets collected. I scrub these off with a toothbrush about every other week which isn't too bad in my book but still a pain. If you don't get good adheasion the screen will pop off or if you really over do scrubbing but can be heated and reattached easily enough. It's also pretty easy tonpeal off with a razor blade etc if you didn't like the effect.IMG_20180421_134021.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 12:53 PM   #2
ClownNut
Registered Member

here's the super ghetto version
Gyre before by Li Cai, on Flickr

here's the improved version
snap-on design for easy removal and clean.
the gutter guard also removable if need to replace.
I will make an even smaller version this summer.
the worst thing can happen to an anemone if it floats, it might lose a few tentacles if that.
Gyre after(white) by Li Cai, on Flickr

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

Nice! How did u attach the mesh to the, what I'm thinking is, PVC?

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 09:46 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I will tell you from trial and error, it is not just enough to wrap a powerhead in smaller mesh material, you also have to find a way to divert flow. The mesh must be offset as in the second picture above.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 07:55 AM   #5
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
Nice! How did u attach the mesh to the, what I'm thinking is, PVC?

that's 3" pvc pipe.
i tapped the pipe and use some nylon screws to hold the gutter guard in place. it will be as simple as unscrewing 4 screws to replace the front guard and 3 for the side guard. as the gutter guard is super cheap, 4 bucks will last you forever.
because it's much more space around water can go through, even a 12" anemone want to go for a swim, wont be a problem at all. worst case it will lose a few tentacles.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote