Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2018, 09:42 AM   #1
goldhopper
Registered Member

Whats Growing in my Sump?

My 220 Gallon tank is about 6 months old and all the water paramters are great (Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, Phophates 0, PH - 8.1, Calcium 470, etc.etc.). I am new at this and built everything myself with a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. I have a little Brown algae but that is gone and no other algae outbreaks. The 100 gallon (60 gallons of saltwater) sump is below the tank in the basement and automatically does a water change every night with 5 gallons emptied and 5 gallons refilled. I noticed about a week ago that there is little fatty deposits in the Sump where the tank empties into and in the Return section. I recently added a UV sterilizer but I do not think that is causing the problem although I could be wrong. Does anyone know what these little fatty deposits are and what to do about it? They come off very easily. Happily none of these are in the return section or the Refugium. Also, does anyone have an idea how I can clean the PVC of these fatty deposits and algae. There is no easy way to get to the PVC. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic2.jpg (25.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (45.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Pic3.jpg (47.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Pic4.jpg (71.6 KB, 27 views)
goldhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Floowid
Registered Member

Kind of look like pineapple sponges to me. If so, they are good, not bad.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:47 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. Pineapple sponges.. VERY common..VERY harmless.. beneficial filter feeders.. Their population seems to explode in a new tank then it seems to subside a bit..

and as always.. This site here is a good read/scan for all newbies as it covers/contains most of the stuff that pops up in our tanks..
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/
I'd HIGHLY suggest looking through it and even bookmarking it..

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Mendozasreef
Registered Member

Good answers.. thanks... always wondered what that stuff was..I have lots in my sump.

Mendozasreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, clean, sump, unknown