Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2017, 11:28 PM   #2401
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Not sure how large your CaRx is, bit when I subbed in a Bluline 10 for the prior Bluline 20, the pump burned up in less than 18 months. Flow was also low so now I am back to the 20. I use a lot of Bluline/PW pumps and this was the first one I didn't get at least 10 years from.

I realized there was a rubber guard in the inlets. That was the problem. The pump definitely runs warm still. I don't plan to mess with it now that it's hooked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 03:07 AM   #2402
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Johnny

How big is your tank? How big is the reactor? How much coral? There are sooo many variables that enter into the correct PH of the reactor, dKH of the effluent to maintain a stable tank dKH. Remember it is of somewhat little importance what the PSI and bubble rate are. The important thing is to determine what tank alk you want and have the reatore tuned to maintain that. The only single number that will effect that (well two numbers) effluent dKH and flow rate.

I have my reactor set at 40 ml/min and a ph of 6.44

Measure your tank ALK daily and make small adjustments to psi and/or bubble rate to match the tanks usage of alk. If you ave to get ph down below 6.4 you should than increase flow rate and at about 6.3 PH your media will start to turn to mush.

Here are some calculators to play around with to get to what you need, want.

http://reef.diesyst.com/reactor/reactor.html

10g
>7.5g sump
Foster care - dottyback
Few corals that survived my doser failure

Chamber ph: 6.49
Display ph: 7.8 - 8.1
Effluent Alk: 16dKh
Display Alk: 8.2
Masterflex is set to 5ml

I am just testing and waiting to see if the alk will rise or hold.

Unread 07/04/2017, 09:56 AM   #2403
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Is it normal for the ph inside the reactor to fluctuate? 6.45-6.51; I assume it's because the tanks ph is going up and down a bit? The picture displays a 24 hour cycle.

Unread 07/04/2017, 12:28 PM   #2404
hkgar
Registered Member

Use the compare funtion in the Apexx graph and overlay the tank ph to see if there is a relationship.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 11:07 AM   #2405
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

PH inside the reactor should be stable. It is better, IME, to set your regulator so that the solenoid is open all the time and the pH set by adjusting bubble rate. pH controller would just function as a low level cutoff.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 11:41 AM   #2406
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
PH inside the reactor should be stable. It is better, IME, to set your regulator so that the solenoid is open all the time and the pH set by adjusting bubble rate. pH controller would just function as a low level cutoff.

I've tried and tried to do this but not successful yet. I tweak bubble size, bubble rate, but always end up with a wandering pH and having the solenoid control it. It is my holy grail to have it work like you describe above!

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 01:39 PM   #2407
hkgar
Registered Member

Ignore the PH, unless it drops below 6.3. Tweek PSI and/or bubble rate to maintain the dKH in your tank, not to hit a specific regulator ph. If dKH in tank is increasing than either decrease PSI or bubble rate. If dKH in tank is decreasing than increase either PSI of bubble rate. Once stability is establish than dose to raise to a dKH you desire or shut and off until dKH is reduced to what you want. Some try to adjust to get to the desired dKH and than adjust to get stability.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 02:20 PM   #2408
scuzy
Registered Member

What's a start of psi on the regular to test with?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 10:41 AM   #2409
michael.lemke
Registered Member

I'm looking at this 7550-60

Looks to be in good condition. I'm wondering if the pump head will work and what tubing I'll need for it. Do I need the stuff from masterflex or can I get an appropriate size from the hardware store? I'm currently using the feed from a manifold and my main pump. I do have the aquarium plants regulator so this would complete my system. Thanks in advance!

Or would I be way better off with this one for twice the price?!?

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 10:58 AM   #2410
scuzy
Registered Member

Second unit gives you more precision fine tuning.

Unread 07/06/2017, 11:01 AM   #2411
swk
Registered Member

I would throw an offer of 300 at the second unit and see what happens. I've known a few folks have that work.

Also fwiw, and I don't recommend going this long, but I just replaced my pharmed tubing after 13 months lol...

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:01 AM   #2412
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Make sure that second unit is the head that accepts ls17 tubing. That tubing can be had for cheap. I can't recall if it is the performance or precision head

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:02 AM   #2413
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
I would throw an offer of 300 at the second unit and see what happens. I've known a few folks have that work.

Also fwiw, and I don't recommend going this long, but I just replaced my pharmed tubing after 13 months lol...

I offered 500 and they countered 550. I could find another and try the 300 I'd be ecstatic for that price!

Unread 07/06/2017, 11:07 AM   #2414
swk
Registered Member

I know I ended up with my backup pump this way lol. I offered a crazy low ball offer and he accepted. At that point I couldn't turn down a 7523-60 for 250 bucks lol.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:14 AM   #2415
scuzy
Registered Member

I have a easyload 2 head for sale if you looking for one that worked with ls17

Unread 07/06/2017, 12:58 PM   #2416
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Quote:

He came down to 500?!! Is that pretty good.

Unread 07/06/2017, 01:06 PM   #2417
swk
Registered Member

No, I paid 250
For it with easy load 2 head.

Unread 07/06/2017, 11:37 PM   #2418
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Everything is going good guys. My alk has been within 10-15 ppm of each other. Starting to narrow it down to the single digits. This is my current problem.

My psi is at 2.5. Around the later afternoon I notice my ph goes up. I check, and the psi is dropping or already at 0.

What is causing my psi to drop? I have bubbles at the top of my reactor but it doesn't not bother the effluent flow. What is causing my psi to be erratic and drop randomly?

Unread 07/07/2017, 09:02 AM   #2419
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
Everything is going good guys. My alk has been within 10-15 ppm of each other. Starting to narrow it down to the single digits. This is my current problem.

My psi is at 2.5. Around the later afternoon I notice my ph goes up. I check, and the psi is dropping or already at 0.

What is causing my psi to drop? I have bubbles at the top of my reactor but it doesn't not bother the effluent flow. What is causing my psi to be erratic and drop randomly?

A change in ambient temperature will impact the total PSI inside the tank. That can also impact the output PSI. Not sure what regulator you are using but a cheap regulator could also be part of the issue. Try raising the PSI to 3.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 09:05 AM   #2420
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
A change in ambient temperature will impact the total PSI inside the tank. That can also impact the output PSI. Not sure what regulator you are using but a cheap regulator could also be part of the issue. Try raising the PSI to 3.

Unread 07/07/2017, 09:12 AM   #2421
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Ended up ordering this guy for CHEEP! I'll keep looking for a brushless unit and hopefully get someone unloading one for a deal. The one I have has to be better than the little valve from Home Depot! Lol where do I order tubing? What size should I get?

Unread 07/07/2017, 09:13 AM   #2422
swk
Registered Member

See what size tubing that head works with. Those kind only work with one size. Otherwise the links are all on the first page of the thread to everything you need.

Unread 07/07/2017, 09:15 AM   #2423
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Quote:
See what size tubing that head works with. Those kind only work with one size. Otherwise the links are all on the first page of the thread to everything you need.

Thanks! I'll look. It does have a dial to adjust the tube size. Pice of whole set up to come.

Unread 07/07/2017, 10:12 AM   #2424
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lemke View Post
Thanks! I'll look. It does have a dial to adjust the tube size. Pice of whole set up to come.

That head has a model on it. Look it up on the Cole Parmer website. That will tell you what tubing it supports. That said, tubing size aside, that head will only support clear silicone tubing. It will not support the pharmed tubing and for that, I am not sure where to go. You may need to get the original Cole Parmer tubing unless you can determine the specs (OD, ID and wall thickness) of the tubing it supports and find a comparable silicone tubing from somebody like tygon. Once you have your tubing, set the tubing size with the top dial and adjust the flow rate using the 2nd dial.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 10:41 AM   #2425
Jonnywhoop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post

Aquarium plants carbon doser

Raising my psi drops my ph inside the tank to 6.4, almost teetering into the high 6.3.

At 2.5 psi I'm around 6.6ph