Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2016, 09:07 AM   #51
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khngl123 View Post
Has anyone use the destaco media with ill effect? I've been battling stn on my sps and couldn't narrow down the issue after a few months. All parameters are within acceptable range. I have a buddy that also ran the same reactor(A3 Extrema) with destaco media and have the same thing happened to his sps. The stn started from the base and now also seeing the tip stn, any idea and opinion is appreciated.

I have been running the DaStaCo media for close to a year with no issues. The media is almost pure Calcium chloride that is tested by Triton for purity so there is little chance it has anything to do with your stn issues.

Unread 04/12/2016, 11:42 AM   #52
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The Dastaco parts are all 220. But all the 220 components plug into the Dastaco controller. And the controller you plug into a Convertor.

The convertors are about $34 bucks on Amazon.

Cvhjhj, I have been playing with one for over 6 months now. It took about 30 minutes to assemble, fill with media, and get it running. Since then haven't had to spend any time on it.

Dastaco has a US distrbutor now, customer service is US based.

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2016, 10:13 PM   #53
carlos danger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
The Dastaco parts are all 220. But all the 220 components plug into the Dastaco controller. And the controller you plug into a Convertor.

The convertors are about $34 bucks on Amazon.

Cvhjhj, I have been playing with one for over 6 months now. It took about 30 minutes to assemble, fill with media, and get it running. Since then haven't had to spend any time on it.

Dastaco has a US distrbutor now, customer service is US based.
Hopefully they will switch this over to a 120v now that they have Dave from Unique Corals as their designated U.S rep. For that kind of money it needs to be 120v. They're starting to go mainstream here so hopefully it happens.

carlos danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 09:22 PM   #54
sunilp
Registered Member

i'm using one for almost 10 months. It's the most rock solid system you can get to get stable parameters. I don't worry about mg, ca, or alk anymore. no more mixing chemical.

sunilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 09:32 AM   #55
Sphack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilp View Post
i'm using one for almost 10 months. It's the most rock solid system you can get to get stable parameters. I don't worry about mg, ca, or alk anymore. no more mixing chemical.

So what does it measure that enables it to keep the parameters so constant?

Unread 05/22/2016, 09:38 AM   #56
carlos danger
Registered Member

If you use the Triton media it is tested for purity and is very pure but doesn't have any trace elements and if you want that will need to dose separately. I know Dave says if your'e going to use their media that you should do the Trition method by dosing a bunch of other stuff and then test by sending in the results and making any adjustments after getting the results back.

Thats nice but I can see that "route" getting very expensive by sending in samples, tweeting the results, then re-sendind more samples and using different bottles to get different results depending on "your tanks needs".

I think Reborn media is pretty good and when tested came back at less than 2% of impurities. I'm sure that varies from batch to batch and brand to brand. Anyone running just ARM or reborn in their Dastaco or have all users been transformed to using the Trition media and method? I'd be curious to know.

Unread 05/26/2016, 12:40 AM   #57
carlos danger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos danger View Post
If you use the Triton media it is tested for purity and is very pure but doesn't have any trace elements and if you want that will need to dose separately. I know Dave says if your'e going to use their media that you should do the Trition method by dosing a bunch of other stuff and then test by sending in the results and making any adjustments after getting the results back.

Thats nice but I can see that "route" getting very expensive by sending in samples, tweeting the results, then re-sendind more samples and using different bottles to get different results depending on "your tanks needs".

I think Reborn media is pretty good and when tested came back at less than 2% of impurities. I'm sure that varies from batch to batch and brand to brand. Anyone running just ARM or reborn in their Dastaco or have all users been transformed to using the Trition media and method? I'd be curious to know.
So I guess your limited to the types of media that can be used inside the reactor because of the Co2 saturation inside the chamber. Some people say that ARM melts like butter in there?

Unread 05/26/2016, 01:42 AM   #58
o2manyfish
Registered Member

You can use other types of media in the Dastaco reactor. The controller is calibrated for the Dastaco media which burns at a lower ph.

You can use other media, you just have to figure out the calibration. So your alk knob may be set to 6 but your alk may actually be at 8.

When you say with Triton, you are "dosing a bunch of other stuff".... If you are keeping a successful coral tank chances are you have been dosing "other stuff" already. Whether that stuff is coming from water changes, or 2 part, or pretty little blue bottles, or Secret Recipes that offer results. Most of the products on the market for additives are trace elements.

Excluding things like Acro power which is Amino acids.

So you are already adding a "bunch of other stuff" - Triton testing will let you know which "other stuff" you are consuming the most of and then you can add just what your tank needs.

I've been doing the Triton tests for about 18 months. I've done 5 or 6 tests. And I only have 2 Triton trace bottles that I dose when I remember. I've sent in a bunch of tests because I have been trying different things and I wanted to see the results.

As far as testing to change my dosing. My dosing in the past 18 months hasn't changed much at all. You definitely don't need to be testing every 3 months like I have been doing, unless you are like me and try things and want to see what the changes are in the water chemisty.

Unread 05/26/2016, 07:30 AM   #59
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
So I guess your limited to the types of media that can be used inside the reactor because of the Co2 saturation inside the chamber. Some people say that ARM melts like butter in there?

Not true. In fact I found that the Triton media dissolves at least as fast as the ARM extra coarse. ARM works fine and is what was recommended to me by DaStaCo when I bought my unit, before the Triton media had been released.

Unread 05/26/2016, 01:21 PM   #60
danrobberg
Registered Member

I'm guessing these reactors are for very large tanks? Do t seem to see anything for tanks in the 100-200 gallon range.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 04:15 PM   #61
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Danrobberg,

Calcium reactor sizes are very irrelevant. The ability to produce Calcium and Alkalinity is based on the rate at which you add co2 to keep the pH low enough to dissolve the media while pumping water in and out of the reactor.

A tiny little calcium Reactor can produce enough calcium and alkalinity for a 2500g packed commercial system. The only difference the size makes is how often you have to open the reactor to add more media.

For the past 15+ years I have been keeping a system packed with SPS - From 1100g to at one point 2000gallons of packed frag tanks. I was able to maintain calcium and alkalinity using a custom made reactor which was a 3" acrylic cylinder and 22" tall. And when at it's fullest I had to only add media about every 3 months.

I have been using the Dastaco media for over a year now, and in my system it burns slower than the ARM and Reborn. Currently I am at 1100g with packed SPS inside and out and in a year I went through about 6lbs of media. While maintaining calcium level over 400 and alk at 12-14.

Unread 05/26/2016, 04:45 PM   #62
acesq
Registered Member

That's interesting Dave, I'm finding the Dastaco media burns at about the same rate, maybe a little faster than the ARM. Nothing scientific about my analysis though. But since I'm quite happy with the Dastaco media, I'll never run a test to find out for sure!! Lol

Unread 05/27/2016, 10:59 PM   #63
carlos danger
Registered Member

Quote:
You can use other types of media in the Dastaco reactor. The controller is calibrated for the Dastaco media which burns at a lower ph.

You can use other media, you just have to figure out the calibration. So your alk knob may be set to 6 but your alk may actually be at 8.

When you say with Triton, you are "dosing a bunch of other stuff".... If you are keeping a successful coral tank chances are you have been dosing "other stuff" already. Whether that stuff is coming from water changes, or 2 part, or pretty little blue bottles, or Secret Recipes that offer results. Most of the products on the market for additives are trace elements.

Excluding things like Acro power which is Amino acids.

So you are already adding a "bunch of other stuff" - Triton testing will let you know which "other stuff" you are consuming the most of and then you can add just what your tank needs.

I've been doing the Triton tests for about 18 months. I've done 5 or 6 tests. And I only have 2 Triton trace bottles that I dose when I remember. I've sent in a bunch of tests because I have been trying different things and I wanted to see the results.

As far as testing to change my dosing. My dosing in the past 18 months hasn't changed much at all. You definitely don't need to be testing every 3 months like I have been doing, unless you are like me and try things and want to see what the changes are in the water chemisty.
Thats good to know you can have other media options if you choose. Its interesting with the auto calcium reactors. I think Dastaco has paved the way for other companies to bring similar products to the market place. I'm excited to see what this competition might bring to the Reefing community.

Today, Pacific Sun announced its version, the CalcFeeder Pro. Sounds like a pretty nice auto calcium reactor. Reef Builders did a write up on it. It almost seemed like he was dissing on the Dastaco because of the high price point. I hope this competition might bring the price down on the Dastaco a bit so that I can actually look at myself in the mirror after buying one.Pacific Suns $1000 price tag seems pretty fantastic and I hope it turns out to be a pretty solid option. Either way, I'll be purchasing one of these calcium reactors. It definitely seems the way to the future. No more fussing with needle valves, bubble counts, etc.

Unread 05/28/2016, 12:32 AM   #64
ArmanS
Registered Member

I have a dastaco. It's not cheap but nothing top quality is. The extreme a4 which I have is rated for up to a 600g sps system. The Calcfeeder Pro looks great, however it was rated for a much smaller tank. It's great to see companies including a pari pump with their system. I think more people will start using calcium reactors once more companies bring these easy to use and extremely reliable kits to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/28/2016, 09:09 AM   #65
carlos danger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I have a dastaco. It's not cheap but nothing top quality is. The extreme a4 which I have is rated for up to a 600g sps system. The Calcfeeder Pro looks great, however it was rated for a much smaller tank. It's great to see companies including a pari pump with their system. I think more people will start using calcium reactors once more companies bring these easy to use and extremely reliable kits to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely hear you. Like the saying goes," You get what you pay for" is definitely true. If its one thing I've learned its if you want top quality, you're going to pay for it. Thats why I opted to spend more money on a skimmer. I originally was convinced to buy a turd skimmer which didn't work out so great for me and than decided to buy a Bubble King Super Marin and couldn't be happier. Thats why I'll probably get the same Dastaco as you have. Its tried and true. Its been around, and everyone that owns one loves them.

Unread 07/03/2016, 04:29 PM   #66
gary smith
Registered Member

has anyone tested the effluent for phosphate, i am thinking about using destaco calcium media is it clean of phosphates many thanks gary

Current Tank Info: 100 gall marine
gary smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 05:19 PM   #67
acesq
Registered Member

I just ran a test for you with the Hanna Phosphorus URL. The effluent tested at .027. The tank tested at .015. That's within the margin of error for the test so I would conclude it adds no phosphate.

Unread 08/25/2016, 12:59 AM   #68
robbous
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats good to know you can have other media options if you choose. Its interesting with the auto calcium reactors. I think Dastaco has paved the way for other companies to bring similar products to the market place. I'm excited to see what this competition might bring to the Reefing community.

Today, Pacific Sun announced its version, the CalcFeeder Pro. Sounds like a pretty nice auto calcium reactor. Reef Builders did a write up on it. It almost seemed like he was dissing on the Dastaco because of the high price point. I hope this competition might bring the price down on the Dastaco a bit so that I can actually look at myself in the mirror after buying one.Pacific Suns $1000 price tag seems pretty fantastic and I hope it turns out to be a pretty solid option. Either way, I'll be purchasing one of these calcium reactors. It definitely seems the way to the future. No more fussing with needle valves, bubble counts, etc.
I just purchased the Pacific sun CalcFeeder Pro their largest model and pro version for my 500 gallon display I'm looking at a September/October delivery to my home I also purchased 40kg of the delivDaStaCo2 Media to fill this reactor with once I get this product I will let you know how it works and the results

Current Tank Info: 500 Gallon display tank 200 gallon basement sump
robbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 01:40 PM   #69
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post

What co2 regulator and solenoid are you using with your Dastaco? I've heard you don't need to be as precise as other reactors because you basically flood it with co2 to a point until an auto shutoff kicks in.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 02:53 PM   #70
acesq
Registered Member

The alarm is sensitive to changes in pressure. I bought a Tunze single stage regulator that gave me son trouble. I replaced it with another single stage that DaStaCo sold. That worked much better. I ended up buying a two stage regulator from a member here that makes them. Probably overkill.

Unread 10/02/2016, 10:41 AM   #71
o2manyfish
Registered Member

The Dastaco Reactors come with everything you need except for Media and a C02 tank.

The regulator, solenoid and tubing is all included.

Unread 10/02/2016, 10:54 AM   #72
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I just bought one directly from the manufacturer and imported it myself. Here it is:

I won't be setting it up until I'm finished with my new 320 build, and since I just ordered my tank, it won't be until late September.

I have to say that this thing is well built. Can't wait to get it up and running.
What a beauty! Congrats

Unread 10/02/2016, 03:53 PM   #73
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
The Dastaco Reactors come with everything you need except for Media and a C02 tank.

The regulator, solenoid and tubing is all included.
Are you certain the regulator and solenoid are included?

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Unread 10/03/2016, 11:23 AM   #74
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
Are you certain the regulator and solenoid are included?
I confirmed it does come with a reg

Unread 10/03/2016, 11:24 AM   #75
acesq
Registered Member

Dave knows what he's talking about -- he's with Unique Corals, the US retailer. Check their website.