Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2012, 12:12 PM   #1
pgr11
Registered Member

New AI Vega info

Check it out
http://************.com/2012/05/04/f...ai-vega-color/
Holy crap it looks cool

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Current Tank Info: AA 265 Mixed reef
pgr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 12:54 PM   #2
6Speed
Zardoz

wow! very nice! I foresee some radion owners selling theirs soon as this hits the shelves!

AI still the most powerful and now taking the crown back with color.

6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 02:11 PM   #3
gldnegle76
Registered Member

Hope they're working on upgrades for the Sols that add more colors as well.

gldnegle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 02:26 PM   #4
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Video: (By the time you watch this it may be removed, read below to find out why).

From AI:
Quote:
“We’re excited to hear the feedback regarding the release version of the AI Vega, but didn’t intend for this pre-production cut to be for public viewing. We intended to keep it internal until the official release which will be in the coming weeks, but that clearly didn’t work. We will fill RB in with final specs and pricing as we get closer to the launch, and debut the other products we have in the pipeline.”

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Bill@IA
Registered Member

AI VEGAS, Baby!!

Bill@IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 03:38 PM   #6
OwenReefin
Registered Member

Oh nice.

OwenReefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Saltwatercoral2
Registered Member

I think I am gonna get these, was wanting leds, and been trying to hold off till I seen these. but these look super nice

Saltwatercoral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 07:00 PM   #8
AndyH5512
Moved On

Any idea if these will work with a Macbook? I want to upgrade to LED's, however I would like for them to be Mac friendly.

AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 10:00 PM   #9
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Smile

Wow

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Addiction2SPS
Registered Member

Awesome! Might have to upgrade my sol blues

Addiction2SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:10 AM   #11
jfingers8
Registered Member

I don't think Radion users are going to sell there Radions to get these. If anything they are going to do the same thing as Radion with the colors. So why would Radion users sell there lights to get new fixtures with the same colors in it, except UV which in my opinion does nothing as my frag tank has par38's over them with some UV leds in it and I don't see a difference at all from another other light. I think Ecotech will remain on top of there game.

jfingers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:18 AM   #12
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfingers8 View Post
I don't think Radion users are going to sell there Radions to get these. If anything they are going to do the same thing as Radion with the colors. So why would Radion users sell there lights to get new fixtures with the same colors in it, except UV which in my opinion does nothing as my frag tank has par38's over them with some UV leds in it and I don't see a difference at all from another other light. I think Ecotech will remain on top of there game.
It's called PAR buddy.... Radions LACK the PAR they are priced at! $750 for a LED module that gets trounced by a $400 one is just pathetic. If the Radion costed $500 I wouldn't be arguing this point. To each his own.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:31 AM   #13
jfingers8
Registered Member

Why don't you read up on PAR and see how over hyped it is. Par isn't everything. You don't hear anyone complaining about Radions except for price and you hear a ton of people complain and sell there AI's because of coral brown out especially SPS. AI people will stick with AI and Radion people with stick with Radion. You see Radion is top dog right now and probably will be hard to beat as with a lot of there other products are. Your right to each there own. I've been in the hobby for 7 years, own 5 tanks and made the biggest mistake of jumping into the AI. Now I have Radions and man, I couldn't be happier. I love how most people try to compare the two, but never owned both of them and seen the difference. I have so I have a right to state my opinion. I'm sure you never owned Radions. I hate people that complain about price. If you can't afford them, don't buy them. Price isn't a issue when you can afford it. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Night and day with my corals on AI vs. Radion. Why don't you put some Radions over your tank and let it run for 6 months and then come talk to me.

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:36 AM   #14
jfingers8
Registered Member

As far as PAR goes, anyone could of made a fixture shooting laser beams into there tank and get great PAR, even though PAR is not even close to everything. Lets make a fixture and have people fry everything and not be able to run there light over 50%. What is the point of ALL THE PAR, if you can only use half of it? Not going to argue though, don't have time and that is why I hate posting stuff on these boards because you can never say something without idiot saying **** they don't even know what they are talking about.

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:47 AM   #15
TimothyJ
Registered Member

#1 rule of all forums is everyone thinks what they have is best and their opinion is right. Sadly it gets in the way of a lot of open minded conversation.

With that being said, I own an AI product and am excited by this video and hope their older products will be upgradable.

Unread 05/05/2012, 01:15 AM   #16
Canadaguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
It's called PAR buddy.... Radions LACK the PAR they are priced at! $750 for a LED module that gets trounced by a $400 one is just pathetic. If the Radion costed $500 I wouldn't be arguing this point. To each his own.
Have you owned both the Radion and AI together with a par meter by chance?

Canadaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 02:19 AM   #17
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Why don't you read up on PAR and see how over hyped it is. Par isn't everything. You don't hear anyone complaining about Radions except for price and you hear a ton of people complain and sell there AI's because of coral brown out especially SPS. AI people will stick with AI and Radion people with stick with Radion. You see Radion is top dog right now and probably will be hard to beat as with a lot of there other products are. Your right to each there own. I've been in the hobby for 7 years, own 5 tanks and made the biggest mistake of jumping into the AI. Now I have Radions and man, I couldn't be happier. I love how most people try to compare the two, but never owned both of them and seen the difference. I have so I have a right to state my opinion. I'm sure you never owned Radions. I hate people that complain about price. If you can't afford them, don't buy them. Price isn't a issue when you can afford it. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Night and day with my corals on AI vs. Radion. Why don't you put some Radions over your tank and let it run for 6 months and then come talk to me.
Quote:
As far as PAR goes, anyone could of made a fixture shooting laser beams into there tank and get great PAR, even though PAR is not even close to everything. Lets make a fixture and have people fry everything and not be able to run there light over 50%. What is the point of ALL THE PAR, if you can only use half of it? Not going to argue though, don't have time and that is why I hate posting stuff on these boards because you can never say something without idiot saying **** they don't even know what they are talking about.
OK.... First off, Let me apologize for inciting an argument on this thread. Those who know me would say I'm passionate about my interests; which ever they may be. I should have worded my comment in a more constructive way and once again I apologize for it.

Money isn't the issue with me. It never has been. My issue is space and ease of my tank to be moved. The issue is "Value" or "Worth". Just because something is more expensive, that Doesn't mean that it is a hands down Better Value. I've been running 4 AI SOL Blue modules over my 40 breeder for 6 months now and I have been Extremely Satisfied with the Efficiency, Performance, Growth, and Color. Granted I do have mostly LPS. My SPS pieces do look great as well. But SPS are always tricky since they can be very particular with so many variables. I was considering removing 1 SOL and adding 2 Radions between the 3 remianing AI SOL's just to se what it would do for color and I still might do that. My issue is I've never seen the corals in a "Radion Lit Tank" that looked better than a "AI SOL Lit Tank". Has anyone? I need pictures and comparisions. If you know of any growth pictures of corals on Radion Only Lit Tanks shoot em my way.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=79

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
Unread 05/05/2012, 06:35 AM   #18
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

It's curious that on the article they hint that this is one of two versions that will be released. The AI Vega Color and what I'm guessing will just be the AI Vega. What can we expect from the base model?

Additionally, there seem to be a lot of color LEDs in comparison to white. I wonder how this will affect growth.

As far as success vs Radion, Kessil and other fixtures on the market. I think it will all depend where they set themselves in the pricing structure. I'll be interested to see what these retail for. If I can light my 75g for ~$800 there's a good chance I'd buy into them.

Unread 05/05/2012, 09:12 AM   #19
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
OK.... First off, Let me apologize for inciting an argument on this thread. Those who know me would say I'm passionate about my interests; which ever they may be. I should have worded my comment in a more constructive way and once again I apologize for it.

Money isn't the issue with me. It never has been. My issue is space and ease of my tank to be moved. The issue is "Value" or "Worth". Just because something is more expensive, that Doesn't mean that it is a hands down Better Value. I've been running 4 AI SOL Blue modules over my 40 breeder for 6 months now and I have been Extremely Satisfied with the Efficiency, Performance, Growth, and Color. Granted I do have mostly LPS. My SPS pieces do look great as well. But SPS are always tricky since they can be very particular with so many variables. I was considering removing 1 SOL and adding 2 Radions between the 3 remianing AI SOL's just to se what it would do for color and I still might do that. My issue is I've never seen the corals in a "Radion Lit Tank" that looked better than a "AI SOL Lit Tank". Has anyone? I need pictures and comparisions. If you know of any growth pictures of corals on Radion Only Lit Tanks shoot em my way.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=79
Had two AI Sol Blues on my tank for a year and switched to two Radions. The Radions far outperformed the SOL Blues in color spread, uniformity of light, coral color, and coral growth. I never took a par meter to them, but there was no comparison between the real world results. It only took two weeks before coral growth accelerated. That being said... I don't feel LED's are replacement for MH and/or T5's if coral coloration is a priority.

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:04 PM   #20
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
Had two AI Sol Blues on my tank for a year and switched to two Radions. The Radions far outperformed the SOL Blues in color spread, uniformity of light, coral color, and coral growth. I never took a par meter to them, but there was no comparison between the real world results. It only took two weeks before coral growth accelerated. That being said... I don't feel LED's are replacement for MH and/or T5's if coral coloration is a priority.
I've seen your YouTube Channel. Do you have some color comparison photos? I'm sure having 2 Radions to supplement color would be much better than buying some Stunner Strips or Panorama modules. If only these AI Vega's were out already......

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:07 PM   #21
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy View Post
Have you owned both the Radion and AI together with a par meter by chance?
I've Never Owned The Radions, but I do own an Apogee MQ-200 PAR Meter.

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:12 PM   #22
MedRed
Registered Member

2 x Aqua Illumination Sol Blue
[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/11ql9n6.jpg[/IMG]

2 x Ecotech Radions
[IMG]http://i42.*******.com/359zo7n.jpg[/IMG]

1 x Giesemann Infiniti 250w MH + 4xT5
[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/21jxflv.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by MedRed; 05/05/2012 at 12:21 PM.
MedRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:20 PM   #23
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

So MED, are you using a Metal Halide \ T5 Fixture now?

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:23 PM   #24
jfingers8
Registered Member

I apologize also, it just gets frustrating sometimes, but o well I'm over it. All I know from experience is, again I think PAR is over rated. I know my growth and color is far superior running 2 Radions then when I was running 3 AI's over my 75. I only run my Radions on 50% overall intensity. Now that being said I have a Undata Monti that had decent growth by the body was brown and the polyps are a baby blue. When I started running Radions I put the Undata on the sand bed just to see how far the Radions can penetrate. I am starting to see the body turn greenish and the rim turning purple. My tank is 18 inches deep. Running at 50% and have a Undata Monti coloring up on a sand bed is pretty good in my opinion as far as penetration goes. I know AI's can punch deeper, but again they are beams. I think Radions can punch deeper than what people think. My point was when I first posted was, I think 99% of people are happy with there Radions and wouldn't consider going to AI because why would you change when you are extremely happy with what you have. To me AI hasn't proven themselves as far as color goes with SPS corals. I think Radions have. To each there own. Me personally it doesn't even cross my mind to get rid of my Radions for the AI Vega Color.

Unread 05/05/2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Casey8
Registered Member

PHP Code:
[quote=medred;20217866]had two ai sol blues on my tank for a year and switched to two radionsThe radions far outperformed the sol blues in color spreaduniformity of lightcoral color, and coral growthI never took a par meter to thembut there was no comparison between the real world resultsIt only took two weeks before coral growth acceleratedThat being said...[/quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by medred View Post
i don't feel led's are replacement for mh and/or t5's if coral coloration is a priority.
Good point !

Casey8 is offline   Reply With Quote