Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2018, 03:43 AM   #1
Tastee
Registered Member

Iodine level question

Hi all, I am running a Red Sea Reefer 250 (~60g) with Aquaforest Reef Salt and dosing Component 1+2+3+ daily. My question is around the trace elements, particularly Iodine. I have introduced two Gonioporas into my tank and believe they benefit from some Iodine. I see from the Aquaforest literature that they recommend 0.06 ppm which is in line with other advice I receive. I believe that the Component 2+ includes Iodine.

What level of Iodine should I expect to maintain in my tank with my regime?

I change 27L water every month, make my own RODI at 0 TDS and currently dose 5 ml/day of the components (I have a light coral load at the moment). The tank is now 12 months old. Salinity 1.025, Mg 1440, Ca 450, kH 9.0, NO4 1.5 ppm, PO3 0 ppm (targeting 0.25 ppm), pH 8 (as measured by my Apex, 8.4 as measured by an API test kit), temp 25 degrees Celsius. I dose 2 ml NO4:PO3:-X daily to control nutrients and test weekly. I do not currently test for other trace elements.

Appreciate any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Khazmodain
Registered Member

Be very careful with dosing iodine. I believe the Aquaforest components have dosing ratios which are based off of Calcium depletion, correct? That helps, but I would still test periodically to make sure you're staying in the .03-.06 range. While .06 is the ideal NSW level, iodine becomes toxic quickly above that level.

Unless you rarely do water changes and have lots of macroalgae (Triton method) I would avoid dosing iodine altogether. You should have plenty of iodine from routine water changes.

Khazmodain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2018, 01:42 AM   #3
Tastee
Registered Member

Thanks. I am not planning to dose Iodine at the moment, as you said I am expecting to maintain some level with my WCs and dosing. I was just interested to find out what sort of level the basic Aquaforest method should maintain, or does maintain in other's experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote