Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Stupid noob mistake

Tank started a week ago and haven't gotten a ato yet and wondering why my readings are so strong. Just realized I have evaporated about 1 gallon of water. Just friendly reminder to the other begginers keep up with ro adding till we all have a ato

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 06:21 PM   #2
jlmawp
Registered Member

This is the 3rd thread you’ve made about this. It’s time to relax man. You’re gonna drive yourself crazy. You should use the existing threads you have for this subject.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 09:39 PM   #3
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Lol

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
This is the 3rd thread you’ve made about this. It’s time to relax man. You’re gonna drive yourself crazy. You should use the existing threads you have for this subject.
Thanks for the support know anyone that wants to buy a Tank? If asking questions gets these responses then your right shut off my lights and stuff. Thanks for the advise to quit.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:58 PM   #5
SammyL
Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog39 View Post
Thanks for the support know anyone that wants to buy a Tank? If asking questions gets these responses then your right shut off my lights and stuff. Thanks for the advise to quit.

I don't believe he was being mean but just trying to give you some constructive advise.

Current Tank Info: 180 DT, 705 Hydor Skimmer, 55 gallong sump with fuge, 2 x Lumentek 240 Pro
SammyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 12:32 AM   #6
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
At no point did I say anything about quitting. You asked similar questions in your other threads, and you got a ton of answers. Accurate answers. You just chose not to listen to them because they weren't the answers you wanted. If you are going to threaten to quit after 4 days, before your tank is even cycled, then maybe you should be thinking about getting rid of it before the real challenge begins. Cycling is the easy part.

This is a hobby of patience and occasional setback. Everyone goes through it...it's part of the learning experience. So far, in the other two threads you have made, people have told you to be patient and let the cycle take its course, including myself. They all say sometimes it takes up to a month. The average cycle is 2-3 weeks. It has been 4 days for your tank. Mcgyver even told you that everything is fine and your situation is totally normal, and he doesn't mince words. Instead of heeding the advice of the experienced people that you are asking advice from, you keep trying to force your way into cycling a tank with chemicals and over-analyzing water level tests. People are trying to tell you how things work, and you aren't listening. Your tank doesn't need more chemicals, treatments, or changes. It needs time. A tank cycle isn't something you get to fast forward. You will learn that there are no healthy shortcuts in this hobby, and it's best to have some more patience and allow things to go slowly and steadily. Trust me on this. Others who are much more experienced than myself will agree. This forum's creed is "nothing good in this hobby happens quickly". You will see it many times if you decide to stick around.

Your tank WILL cycle, and you WILL get to move forward and have a beautiful reef tank with corals, inverts, and fish. Clearly it's important to you, and you seem like you'll pay attention and do a good job. But obsessing over a 4 day cycle is not a good start, and it's not going to make it go any faster. It's just not ready yet, man. It will be ready when it's ready. Leave it alone for a week and it will likely be a lot better. Interfering with tanks too much can cause more issues than it helps. GIVE IT TIME.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to give you some advice, like Sammy said. Don't be so dramatic. You're doing fine, and your tank will be fine. You have everyone here to ask questions to as you go forward, but you have to be able to take advice and understand that people here spout truth and are out for your best interests...even if it's not the thing you necessarily want to hear.

Last edited by jlmawp; 11/10/2017 at 01:00 AM.
jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 01:50 AM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmawp View Post
At no point did I say anything about quitting. You asked similar questions in your other threads, and you got a ton of answers. Accurate answers. You just chose not to listen to them because they weren't the answers you wanted. If you are going to threaten to quit after 4 days, before your tank is even cycled, then maybe you should be thinking about getting rid of it before the real challenge begins. Cycling is the easy part.

This is a hobby of patience and occasional setback. Everyone goes through it...it's part of the learning experience. So far, in the other two threads you have made, people have told you to be patient and let the cycle take its course, including myself. They all say sometimes it takes up to a month. The average cycle is 2-3 weeks. It has been 4 days for your tank. Mcgyver even told you that everything is fine and your situation is totally normal, and he doesn't mince words. Instead of heeding the advice of the experienced people that you are asking advice from, you keep trying to force your way into cycling a tank with chemicals and over-analyzing water level tests. People are trying to tell you how things work, and you aren't listening. Your tank doesn't need more chemicals, treatments, or changes. It needs time. A tank cycle isn't something you get to fast forward. You will learn that there are no healthy shortcuts in this hobby, and it's best to have some more patience and allow things to go slowly and steadily. Trust me on this. Others who are much more experienced than myself will agree. This forum's creed is "nothing good in this hobby happens quickly". You will see it many times if you decide to stick around.

Your tank WILL cycle, and you WILL get to move forward and have a beautiful reef tank with corals, inverts, and fish. Clearly it's important to you, and you seem like you'll pay attention and do a good job. But obsessing over a 4 day cycle is not a good start, and it's not going to make it go any faster. It's just not ready yet, man. It will be ready when it's ready. Leave it alone for a week and it will likely be a lot better. Interfering with tanks too much can cause more issues than it helps. GIVE IT TIME.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to give you some advice, like Sammy said. Don't be so dramatic. You're doing fine, and your tank will be fine. You have everyone here to ask questions to as you go forward, but you have to be able to take advice and understand that people here spout truth and are out for your best interests...even if it's not the thing you necessarily want to hear.
I agree, having success with this hobby requires patience and the ability accept criticism/advise. If you "force" stuff and ignore advises that you dont want to hear, quitting would be a better option than spending couple of thousand dollars and hundreds of hours for an eventual failure.

Also as an advise, evaporation of 1 gallon water from 40 gallons would not move any parameter much. It would concentrate them only by 2.5% (lets say 3% since real volume likely is lower than 40). So it would raise 10 ppm nitrate to ~10.3 ppm. I change smaller than the resolution of hobby grade tests.

Last edited by Tripod1404; 11/10/2017 at 01:58 AM.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 08:24 PM   #8
rocsec1
Registered Member

Ato’s are great but I went a year without one. Just got in the habit of topping the water off every other day. It got be a pain so I got the ato. You can have a successful tank without it but it is more work.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
Ato’s are great but I went a year without one. Just got in the habit of topping the water off every other day. It got be a pain so I got the ato. You can have a successful tank without it but it is more work.
Got one coming in 3 days. I'm forgetful about it

Unread 11/11/2017, 02:00 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
I went 12 years without one.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Cancun
Registered Member

Hi there.....I agree with others here....no need to quit....this hobby has taught me a HUGE lesson in patience.....Also is always room for improvement....and coming on here asking questions is the best way to get help. We have all been there and done that. Just sit back and enjoy the whole experience! ��

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 12:07 PM   #12
trembz
Registered Member

6 years no ato..
Just set up a routine
I.e. do top off when you feed fish in the morning

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 12:11 PM   #13
sde1500
Registered Member

I used to forget to top off a lot. Was warned to add water when the return pump started sucking air. Now I have an ATO that I forget to fill up. Am reminded when the ATO pump starts sucking air. I like the convenience for sure though.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 04:38 PM   #14
James404
I <3 Acros

Quote:
Got one coming in 3 days. I'm forgetful about it

Good job getting an ATO, it definitely makes life easier.

There's lots of ups and downs in this hobby, the key is to learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.

Unread 11/13/2017, 05:24 PM   #15
Bulldog39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Good job getting an ATO, it definitely makes life easier.

There's lots of ups and downs in this hobby, the key is to learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.
Yeah that's why I ask so many questions. Makes some mad but when worded differently I get a better selection of answers sometimes.

Unread 11/13/2017, 06:52 PM   #16
NS Mike D
Registered Member

here is the thing about reef gadgets. Sooner or later they will fail. Whether it's a snail crawling where it shouldn't, software failure or just plain salt wear and tear, plan on it faling at some point in time.

Make sure your ATO has some redundancies for when it will not turn on or even worse, not turn off.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote