Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2012, 07:55 AM   #51
demariners
Work In Progress

Well I am contacting Avast Marine today to go over my set up to make sure I have everything correct. I do not seem to have bubbles at the top but then again I do not have the venturi type system. They changed it to the spray head like I have now. I do notice that as my pH goes up, which I am having issues with, the orp goes down. The ORP went from 210 to 290 overnight when reducing the flow rate. I will take a look later today and see how it looks over the day.

demariners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 06:54 AM   #52
LouH
LouH

I've seen comments about not using an air dryer, and I read somewhere that tests were done that showed that they aren't completely necessary. If I recall correctly, moisture does reduce generation capacity, but if your ozone generator is big enough, it doesn't really matter. Having said that, I personally run a custom built dessicant bead tower. Basically it is a 4' clear flourescent bulp cover that you can buy at any Home Depot or Lowes. I cut it into a 3' length and glued a 1.25" clip PVC end cap on one end, and a slip/MPT on the other end onto which I screw on a FPT end cap. Both end caps are drilled and tapped to receive John Guest fittings to which air lines are attached. The bottom of the colum has a coarse foam in the bottom to prevent dessecant beads from falling into and blocking the airline. The column is mounted vertically. I use color indicating beads and find that it usually takes 1-2 weeks for the beads to get saturated and require regeneration. I tool it off-line for a while and it seemed as though my ozone generator didn't work as well, so I started using it again.

LouH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 07:29 AM   #53
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Humidity can drop the generating capacity considerably. Sure you can oversize the ozone generator to get around that, but that is the expensive solution. It also ignores the fact that the humidity will shorten the lifespan of the corona discharge electrodes. An air dryer is the cheap solution to both humidity induced problems

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 09:23 PM   #54
psykobowler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Humidity can drop the generating capacity considerably. Sure you can oversize the ozone generator to get around that, but that is the expensive solution. It also ignores the fact that the humidity will shorten the lifespan of the corona discharge electrodes. An air dryer is the cheap solution to both humidity induced problems
The humidity is the problem, not the air dyer. You should fix your humidity then you won't need an air dyer. I open my windows at night on the fish room so humidity doesn't build up.

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g fuge, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 , 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 3 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, KnopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 09:53 AM   #55
demariners
Work In Progress

Well I ended up replacing the ozone unit with a light driven one (Ultrazone). It does not require an air dryer. My ORP is still showing at 230-250. I then also removed a little but of the carbon in the media reactor and still same thing. Not sure what else I could try now.

demariners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 10:23 AM   #56
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykobowler View Post
The humidity is the problem, not the air dyer. You should fix your humidity then you won't need an air dyer. I open my windows at night on the fish room so humidity doesn't build up.
In some areas opening windows only makes humidity worse, even at night. Much of the US east coast fits that description

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2013, 11:26 PM   #57
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

demariners - were you ever able to consistently increase your ORP.

"Just get me to the airport put me on a plane" - The Ramones
Want2BS8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2014, 10:00 PM   #58
aquaenthusiast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
In some areas opening windows only makes humidity worse, even at night. Much of the US east coast fits that description
yupp , not everyone lives in CA where it's sunny and 75 all the time

aquaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2014, 12:32 PM   #59
psykobowler
Registered Member

I did not realize you guys are in the east coast. An air dryer is a must then.

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g fuge, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 , 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 3 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, KnopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 04:35 PM   #60
Kosmos
Registered Member

i was searching all forums and couldn't understand why air with ozone did not get in reactor and nobody give me advise and here i found answer air pump should be very strong . no one on youtube did not say that and use small pumps for 10 gal fishtanks

Kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote