Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2012, 09:34 AM   #3476
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Brett,

I was literally taking the big size bottles and squeezing in a 1/4 bottle at a time twice a day. I went through 4 big bottles and about 3 little ones before the dino's finally receaded.

I was probably dosing up to 4oz at a time. The one thing different between my tank and yours is you have more coral in at the time than I did while dosing. I had clams a few acros and some lps. I noticed 0 long lasting affects but you will see polyp extension reduce for about a hour or 2. None of my fish showed signs of irritation either.

I imagine you are using the 3% h202 as well. I definately don't think you can oversode within reason. Most people would call 4oz a gross overdose but 4oz of 3% solution in 200+ gallons of water dissapates so fast in reality it's not THAT much. I would definately not be afraid to double or ever triple your dose or whatever you feel you need to test up to, to feel comftorable.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 09:38 AM   #3477
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

OK, I know it is fun to "tweak" to get that perfect tank, but it isn't going to happen The best bet for the dinos and little things that look off, is to just fill that tank with corals. The corals will uptake the nutrients and viola!! Just my opinion though

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 12:28 PM   #3478
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Brett,

I was literally taking the big size bottles and squeezing in a 1/4 bottle at a time twice a day. I went through 4 big bottles and about 3 little ones before the dino's finally receaded.

I was probably dosing up to 4oz at a time. The one thing different between my tank and yours is you have more coral in at the time than I did while dosing. I had clams a few acros and some lps. I noticed 0 long lasting affects but you will see polyp extension reduce for about a hour or 2. None of my fish showed signs of irritation either.

I imagine you are using the 3% h202 as well. I definately don't think you can oversode within reason. Most people would call 4oz a gross overdose but 4oz of 3% solution in 200+ gallons of water dissapates so fast in reality it's not THAT much. I would definately not be afraid to double or ever triple your dose or whatever you feel you need to test up to, to feel comftorable.
Yes, I'm using the 3% stuff from Walgreens. Thanks for the info Josh. I will continue my efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
OK, I know it is fun to "tweak" to get that perfect tank, but it isn't going to happen The best bet for the dinos and little things that look off, is to just fill that tank with corals. The corals will uptake the nutrients and viola!! Just my opinion though
Ha! Well I'm coming over tonight then! You were needing to frag some more anyway right??? This all started when I changed my bulbs from the 20K Radiums to the 14K Phoenix. Major PAR increase that set my corals off. What do you think about the theory that the corals expelled too much of their zooxanthellae which contains dinoflagellate and caused the issue?

I'm running GFO again to uptake any excess PO4 that might be in the water column, but there's not much since my tests always are 000. It's all bound in the rock and expelled somewhat by the corals from what I can tell. I can see the dinos growing from the SPS tips/polyps before I baste them (everyday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneeto8 View Post
Awsome set up dream tank in my part of town
Thanks magneeto!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2012, 04:01 PM   #3479
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Quote:
Could you help me with that?

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
Unread 02/17/2012, 01:43 AM   #3480
drummereef
Team RC Member

I doubled up on my H202 dose tonight after a 48hr lights out period. Seemed to help a bit... But coincidentally enough I moved a couple corals around, some which I hadn't epoxied to the aquascape yet, and to my surprise after 4 or 5 rounds of epoxy and superglue... no more dinos! Well, not 100% but the dinos that were attached to many of the affected corals had disappeared. Seemed as though the dinos on the rocks had receded as well. Normally they would have returned in a few minutes after basting but this time they didn't come back. Guess they don't like the smell of epoxy either! Strange huh?!?

Maybe Nook is right... I just need more corals (and epoxy)!!

Unread 02/17/2012, 07:34 AM   #3481
psteeleb
Registered Member

very interesting - zo zuper glu or epoxy may rid dino's, vee must get to the bottom of this !!!

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's

Last edited by psteeleb; 02/17/2012 at 07:40 AM.
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 11:14 AM   #3482
cromedogg33
Registered Member

I know the epoxy when it dries releases "something" because of the documented affects on skimmers.

Did you notice any ill affects on the doubling of your dosage? I would try to do it twice a day to really hammer them. Lights out and right after you turn your lights on.

Unread 02/17/2012, 12:11 PM   #3483
Michael cicco
Registered Member.

now i have to say thats a great build , alot of time was put into making it what it is today, what made you wanna go that big instead of just getting a full circle

Michael cicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2012, 12:24 PM   #3484
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
very interesting - zo zuper glu or epoxy may rid dino's, vee must get to the bottom of this !!!
Hahahaha! Epoxy could be the cure all to life's big problems!

Quote:
I know the epoxy when it dries releases "something" because of the documented affects on skimmers.

Did you notice any ill affects on the doubling of your dosage? I would try to do it twice a day to really hammer them. Lights out and right after you turn your lights on.
Indeed, could be totally coincidental but I did notice an immediate effect from the epoxy. No ill effects from the H202 that I could see. Fish were completely normal. The SPS polyps might have closed up for a bit but that could have been from the lights out period too. But after I turned the lights on and was working in the tank the polyps opened as normal. I'll keep dosing and let you know what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael cicco View Post
now i have to say thats a great build , alot of time was put into making it what it is today, what made you wanna go that big instead of just getting a full circle
Thanks Michael.

Unread 02/18/2012, 07:18 AM   #3485
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
That's interesting! Can you elaborate? I know I once read a study about Xenia taking up nutrients but do all corals more or less do that? I really never heard that but would be encouraging to know!

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2012, 12:22 PM   #3486
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

So I really think we might be up to something here guys. Now you'll really think I'm crazy, but the improvement to the tank because of the epoxy was not only notable but was virtually instantaneous. The tank went from dinos coating the rocks along with coating the corals and even corals expelling strands of dinos - to NOTHING! All of this happened within a ~1 hour period of me epoxying corals to the aquascape. I kid you not! Yesterday the tank looked better than it's ever looked. Corals were looking great, polyp extension was excellent, rocks were clean, and literally no sign of dinos anywhere!

So to further the experiment I added three more balls of epoxy to a glass dish and set it in the sump to cure. I'm thinking there's something in the epoxy that when curing is released into the water column that causes the dinos to recede. Either that or the chemical reaction between the H202 dosing and epoxy is something dinos don't like. Either way, it's good news.

Here's my experiment gone mad.

The pic isn't the best, but I was primarily working on the center island during this process. I lowered the overall height of the island by breaking up one of the rocks, creating more of a center valley. If all goes well over the next couple days I plan on adding some new dry sand back to the tank.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:50 PM.
Unread 02/18/2012, 12:31 PM   #3487
psteeleb
Registered Member

hmm - can't wait for the results of this one

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2012, 01:14 PM   #3488
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
hmm - can't wait for the results of this one
I'll try and get some better pics of the tank tonight when the lights come on. Even the gorgonian which hadn't had polyp extension for many weeks started to come out last night. It was one of the more effected inhabitants over the dino battle the last few months.

Unread 02/18/2012, 03:42 PM   #3489
cromedogg33
Registered Member

It's too bad that you have h202 going too. It's proven to kill dino's and when i started using more and more, they finally went away. Interesting though!

Unread 02/18/2012, 04:04 PM   #3490
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
It's too bad that you have h202 going too. It's proven to kill dino's and when i started using more and more, they finally went away. Interesting though!
It is true H202 has a good track record for getting rid of dinos, but I was one of the unlucky reefers that had a strain of dinos that was very resistant to H202 dosing - like your situation. I dosed a few months ago 1ml/10g for 3 weeks with no results. Again I started dosing about 5 or 6 days ago with little to no results, in fact they were getting worse not better while dosing which is why I started posting here about the subject again. I only had 1 dose of 2ml/10g water in the tank before I started using the epoxy two nights ago. And in fact, when I started re-scaping the dinos were visually at their worst on the rock corals even after having the 2ml/10g dose in the tank. So, after placing the corals with the epoxy I took the baster and blew off the most effected corals, as my normal routine had gone the last couple of weeks, but this time about an hour later... the tank was clean. Literally no trace of dinos whatsoever! Not on the rocks, corals, sand, nothing. All of this was done with the lights on, full cycle, when the dinos would be at their worst.

I'm not saying my theory is at all scientific (and/or is a permanent solution fingers crossed!) but it was very coincidental that they went away that fast, even on surfaces that I didn't baste this time like the rocks and sand. And the corals that would have normally continued to expel dinos immediately after basting had completely stopped. Polyp extension was very good and no traces of dinos anywhere. There were even some bleached looking strands in the overflows that had been brown bubbly-like strands just minutes before. I'm just not convinced I had hit the tipping point with the H202 yet. Not that it wouldn't have continued to do it's thing at the higher dose, but for it to be that immediate was suspect, at least where I was at in my dosing schedule.

Perhaps either the effects of the H202 or epoxy was amplified by the other but I'm no scientist. All I know is the tank looked the best it's looked in months last night (24 hrs after epoxy), so hopefully tonight it will be more of the same.

Last edited by drummereef; 02/18/2012 at 04:11 PM.
Unread 02/18/2012, 06:04 PM   #3491
cromedogg33
Registered Member

All I know is if it worked who cares which one it was

I know once my algae was gone, reefing was more fun!

Unread 02/18/2012, 06:34 PM   #3492
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
All I know is if it worked who cares which one it was

I know once my algae was gone, reefing was more fun!
Exactly!! As long as they are gone and stay gone I'll be a happy reefer. Thanks for all the help and info you've brought to this thread Josh, I'll update the status through tonight's light cycle. Cross your fingers...

Unread 02/18/2012, 10:14 PM   #3493
canyousee
Registered Member

I have my fingers crossed to,hope you have turned the corner and can enjoy all your hard/enjoyable work. I know for me when the cyno or algae bug bits it hurts.

Current Tank Info: 125 g mixed reef with sump
canyousee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2012, 11:50 PM   #3494
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyousee View Post
I have my fingers crossed to,hope you have turned the corner and can enjoy all your hard/enjoyable work. I know for me when the cyno or algae bug bits it hurts.
Indeed my friend. I know now why people say Dinos are the reef killer.

Unread 02/18/2012, 11:56 PM   #3495
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Tank is looking good again tonight. No sign of dinos but still dosing H202 and I put another ball of epoxy in the sump for good measure. In the mean time... new pics.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:51 PM.
Unread 02/18/2012, 11:57 PM   #3496
drummereef
Team RC Member

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:52 PM.
Unread 02/19/2012, 05:43 AM   #3497
Nanighan
Registered Member

Your aquascape is going to look awesome once the corals mature. I am also glad you are starting with frags rather than having a "insta-reef". Not as impressive IMO.

Unread 02/19/2012, 09:11 PM   #3498
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanighan View Post
Your aquascape is going to look awesome once the corals mature. I am also glad you are starting with frags rather than having a "insta-reef". Not as impressive IMO.

Thank you Ron. I agree - I always thought watching everything grow is part of the fun. Now dinos on the other hand...

Last edited by drummereef; 02/19/2012 at 09:16 PM.
Unread 02/19/2012, 09:20 PM   #3499
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Day 3 and the tank is holding strong. Cross our fingers the dinos have hit the road for good.

So Nook was making me feel guilty , so I went to the LFS today and picked up a couple new additions. Let me know if my ID's are wrong. Here's the pics.

Pink Digitata

Green Millepora

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:52 PM.
Unread 02/19/2012, 10:11 PM   #3500
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Looking good man, I got my fingers crossed for ya on the dino's.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote