Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2019, 03:30 PM   #1
3xplorer19
Registered Member

Pet, pest or even worst parasites.

Aquatop Recife Eco all-in-one 24 gallon. 3 months old. 20 different types of corals , 3 bta, 1 clam and 6 fishes. I started seeing white spots on my yellow tang using a special 5W Cree blue flash light. It’s been almost a week now and I’m not sure if it’s positively “ICK”. Knowing that it is very common, what process of elimination must I follow? What steps do I take?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4627A90D-432B-4A20-B4A0-79A77D6C0AF0.jpg (45.7 KB, 66 views)
3xplorer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2019, 06:10 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Unread 11/11/2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

3 months old & it has what in the tank? Seriously?

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 06:53 AM   #4
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@Oldreeferman i think i do cause i saw white spots when i flash the 5w cree blue flashlight on to it by the gills or face part of the yellow tang. i'll try to take a photo today or tonight and share it with you guys. my eheim heater acted up a few points so i was thinking it twas the cause. maybe

Unread 11/12/2019, 09:56 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I believe he was commenting on how you have a Yellow tang in a tank WAY too small for it. As well as quite a few inhabitants for such a new tank already.. At only 3 months a tank is still maturing and often not stable enough to provide a good environment for so many creatures..

Typically a Yellow tang is best suited to a 75+G/48" tank min.
You may want to think about rehoming it and taking care of the ICH through Copper treatments in a tank where medication is possible.

Stress from new tank/crowding/elevated temps,etc... could certainly be a cause here..

Unread 11/12/2019, 10:48 AM   #6
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@mcgyvr I currently have a 10 gallon tank that I’m currently a limo to relocate 2 tangs. Blue royal hippo and yellow tang. Then I will leave 4 fishes at the 24 gallon. My plan after a year or two is to get something descent to house them all together. What you think?

Unread 11/12/2019, 11:37 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xplorer19 View Post
@mcgyvr I currently have a 10 gallon tank that I’m currently a limo to relocate 2 tangs. Blue royal hippo and yellow tang. Then I will leave 4 fishes at the 24 gallon. My plan after a year or two is to get something descent to house them all together. What you think?
I think I hope you have tough skin or that you are just joking/trolling..

A blue hippo/yellow tang in a 24G tank for a year or two is a horrible plan IMO..
Those fish even when in the juvenile ages are fish that should be housed in much larger systems..
I'll just leave it at that..

Unread 11/12/2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Do you see any white dots on your tang under natural light?

When I shine a blue light on my YT, I see white marks of various shapes, but, the tang remains quite healthy....

Blue light can have various outcomes on inhabitants actual colours.

Scratching, twitching, rubbing, rapid respiration, lethargic, stops eating......got anything like that?

Let's try to diagnos, before trying to treat.

If in fact under natural light you have white dots, suspect Ick or velvet, however velvet is problematic in the fact it kills fast.

If you suspect Ick, I might HYPO them in QT, and go fishless in the DT for 72 ish days.

Last edited by Uncle99; 11/12/2019 at 01:17 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 02:19 PM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Do you see any white dots on your tang under natural light?
Good point (I didn't catch the blue light part)..
ICH is clearly visible in natural light.. "BLUE" light only is not how ICH should be diagnosed.. Could just be minor fin damage/blemishes you are seeing under that blue..

Unread 11/12/2019, 03:01 PM   #10
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@mcgyvr thank you for being so honest and blunt. We need more people like you out there. And speaking of honest and blunt, I am so idiot for not “rifing”. I just dove into the ocean without guesstimating #1 for cost. I must have spent $1,000 per month, $3,000 in 3 months. #2 for time. I spent most of the time trying to stabilize what I got. If I did my research before hand I would have never got myself into this mess. Don’t get me wrong I do like what I see now and the growth I somewhat have. If only I could turn back time, I would have just kept my money in the bank or in the stock market or just go to downtown flushing and got a full body massage. However I’m stuck to it. If there’s a buyer who would replenish my loses I wouldn’t hesitate in a heartbeat I’d personally drove it over
to them. For now I just try and improve what I got. And I’m serious for the buyer.

Unread 11/12/2019, 03:03 PM   #11
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@Uncle99 I haven’t really seems white pot on natural lighting. Only by using the flashlight. I’d say I will give it more time and do more rifing of cause and effects. Did put more symptoms. And looks for the best solution and apply. I’ll try and take photos and share with you. Maybe then we can all rest assure if it’s a yeah or nay.

Unread 11/12/2019, 03:04 PM   #12
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@Uncle99 I haven’t really seems white pot on natural lighting. Only by using the flashlight. I’d say I will give it more time and do more rifing of cause and effects. Did put more symptoms. And looks for the best solution and apply. I’ll try and take photos and share with you. Maybe then we can all rest assure if it’s a yeah or nay.

Unread 11/12/2019, 03:40 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

Tangs do not need large tanks because of size, although that is a item that should be considered. They need large (long) tanks because they need room to swim. They tend to be aggressive swimmers and not like those just like to float and merrily cruise around. Even when small.

Size is also dependent on species of Tang. Although my Yellow Eye Kole scouts around he is much more lazy about his swimming than my Atlantic Blue.

Handy guide to tank size and length.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 07:40 PM   #14
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I believe he was commenting on how you have a Yellow tang in a tank WAY too small for it. As well as quite a few inhabitants for such a new tank already.. At only 3 months a tank is still maturing and often not stable enough to provide a good environment for so many creatures..

Typically a Yellow tang is best suited to a 75+G/48" tank min.
You may want to think about rehoming it and taking care of the ICH through Copper treatments in a tank where medication is possible.

Stress from new tank/crowding/elevated temps,etc... could certainly be a cause here..
Yes thank you mcgyvr, that is exactly what i meant.
Im not attempting to be rude just honest, this hobby requires research & patience in advance "before introducing any livestock" for a multitude of variable reasons.
There is no stability in a tank that young with that many fish not to even mention corals its a disaster.
If a LFS told the original poster to actually add all these fish & corals at the same time all i can say is shame on them.
Otherwise this is a case of spending & doing no research at all.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 07:59 PM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Most local fish stores will help out and take those fish off your hands for you and likely give store credit or similar... Give one a call and see what they can do for you..
They may trade for fish better suited for your current tank..

Unread 11/14/2019, 05:32 AM   #16
3xplorer19
Registered Member

@mcgyvr thanks for sharing the links; it helps to know and be in the loop. now just a keep update of what's going on with my yellow tang. i haven't seen yt got worse. no white spots like i thought i did and no white film cover it's body nothing by the gills area yet. it's been almost 2 weeks now and i see no sign of weakness. matter fact it has been swimming and swimming and eats when i feed them. same with my royal blue hippo tang, she's been really blue and no white spots either.. both tangs seems to be healthy. maybe i should give it more time? i am hoping though that they don't have it and that my observation is wrong. so far all my fishes are doing pretty well as mentioned my tangs are ok. my yellow watchmen goby is paired with my pistol shrimp and i rarely see both of them cause they are hiding in the cave or under the rock that they dig. ever since my rainbow bta split my clownfishes are so happy twisting and turning inside them. it's crazy. them nemos looks so playful with the nems. and my midas blenny sometimes turns into gold if not yellow and always plays peekaboo with me. now my corals which i have yet to learn what type if it's softies lps sps are all growing. i see them expanding and i hope not that fast cause my tank is only 24. i guess i am doing good. i do 10% - 15% water changes a week. i do a little of magnesium every other day to maintain a level 1300-1400 my alk is between 7-8 my ph salinity and temp i have learned to managed it and stabilized it. since it's only 3 months i just let it be and wait for it to grow and enjoy the display on a actinic lighting in which by the way how long do i leave the blue light on and white light? in regards to trading returning my livestock to my lfs he has done it w/o issues. however i am happy with what i got just keep on moving. i just needed some help on how to handle ick which you have given me thank you.

Unread 11/14/2019, 05:35 AM   #17
3xplorer19
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/Ki9R7mTy_fw

Unread 12/23/2019, 05:52 AM   #18
3xplorer19
Registered Member

i'm back and sorry for the inconvenience. i must stay i was able to return my 2 tangs back to my lfs. so on my all-in-one tank aquatop 24 gallons i have the following:

2 maroon clownfishes
1 midas blenny
1 yellow watchman goby

2 cleaner shrimp
1 pistol shrimp
1 sally lightfoot crab
1 tiny rainbow bubble tip anemone
6 snails
4 hermit carbs

I am starting to believe i have an ICH on 1 of my maroon clownfish. It kinda looks like a slime covering the skin. I have a spare 10 gallon tank maybe i can use for QT? Alot of info out there of what it looks like and how to treat them but i'm not 100% confident to which one to pick. If I am able to take a photo would you guys please assist me?

Current Tank Info: 24 gallon aquatop recife eco all-in-one
Unread 09/21/2021, 08:07 AM   #19
irennorth
Registered Member

I think that there is nothing terrible here, but I advise you to read about it on the Internet. Well, if you don't find anything about your question, then it's best to go to the vet or call him to your house, which is much more expensive. I was recently given a guinea pig for my birthday, and only recently I found out what products can be given to them or not. And I learned from an article about the nutrition of a guinea pig. It turns out that they eat something that other animals can not be given, for example, grapes. I have read that dogs and cats can not eat grapes, and the guinea pig loves it and is even helpful to her!

irennorth is offline   Reply With Quote