Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2018, 10:04 AM   #26
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
This has me worried that I shouldn't be using Reef Crystals anymore
Test new batches of salt. I have had bad batches from more than just Reef crystals. It is just a smart thing to do.

Unread 12/14/2018, 10:19 AM   #27
kevin21
Registered Member

Yeah I agree, I really should start doing it. I never have. I have also never noticed any problem with Reef Crystals, but have noticed more and more people switching from reef crystals to different supposedly better and more expensive salt.

Then again, I have also heard of many reefers that use regular instant ocean and dose whatever they feel is needed for their system. Some also have said regular instant ocean tested fine out of the bag for their needs. Interesting stuff. Wish there was 100% consistency from batch to batch.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 10:33 AM   #28
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Yeah I agree, I really should start doing it. I never have. I have also never noticed any problem with Reef Crystals, but have noticed more and more people switching from reef crystals to different supposedly better and more expensive salt.

Then again, I have also heard of many reefers that use regular instant ocean and dose whatever they feel is needed for their system. Some also have said regular instant ocean tested fine out of the bag for their needs. Interesting stuff. Wish there was 100% consistency from batch to batch.
I have tried allot of brands and end up back at IO.
You can not beat the price. I end up dosing anyway so I need a stable salt.
The little extra calcium or alk can be added through my dosing regiment.

There are a few other brands I do trust and have had very good luck. IO is cheap and does the job. Price is important because I am going to be running over 20 aquariums. Lots of water.

Unread 12/14/2018, 08:00 PM   #29
Roy Arena
Registered Member

I have never had an issue with IO or RC. Usually if a problem arises its an issue the RO water itself.

Roy Arena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 11:25 AM   #30
Chris Sims
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Arena View Post
I have never had an issue with IO or RC. Usually if a problem arises its an issue the RO water itself.
yeah i agree. i've hardly had problems in 20yrs of reefing. but i've also stuck to a few brands (salinity, oceanic, ocean potion, etc)

what changed this time was i was looking for a great price, since i burn through a pallet of salt every month or so, and IO was the only thing available.

i only thought to test the salt as a last resort because i couldn't imagine that was the problem. i had already burned through a whole pale of high capacity gfo, added clean-up crews, and done more and more wc's, etc

since changing back to a different salt, and doing a bunch more wc's my tanks are looking way better.

the truly interesting thing to me was that when i called in about the salt, and showed them pictures when clearly identify the source of the Si, i was told that's within the normal range. i would have been much more ok with them accidentally producing a bad batch.

anyway i'll definitely never buy that salt again, ever.

Chris Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 03:38 PM   #31
Roy Arena
Registered Member

Wow that's crazy. Your go through some salt, buying a pallet at a time. At least things are getting back to normal on your system. What salt are you using now?

Unread 01/01/2019, 09:44 AM   #32
Chris Sims
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Arena View Post
Wow that's crazy. Your go through some salt, buying a pallet at a time. At least things are getting back to normal on your system. What salt are you using now?
granted i am doing maintenance. and i know there are guys burning through way more than me.

i am through my first pallet of vibrant sea by seachem. i think it was supposed to be their affordable version of salinity. no problems so far. dissolves pretty fast. haven't noticed a drop in any levels really (ph, kh all i'm testing though)

Chris Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2019, 08:01 PM   #33
Roy Arena
Registered Member

I will have to check out vibrant sea.

Unread 01/02/2019, 08:27 AM   #34
PStanley
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the experience!

PStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 08:07 PM   #35
Roy Arena
Registered Member

Chris check out the thread on Vibrant seachem salt. There seems to be a very high potassium level at 1.026 SG.

Unread 01/14/2019, 05:38 AM   #36
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I had a bad 200gal box about a month ago. Alk tested at 5.6, and Cal at 500+. My dosing was all outta wack and it didn’t make sense, a few corals were closed up which made me wonder. I still had half a barrel mixed up so I tested it and that’s what I got.

Unread 01/15/2019, 03:35 PM   #37
Colorwerx
Registered Member

This is a stupid thread

Colorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote