Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2017, 08:22 AM   #76
sde1500
Registered Member

Very nice, looks like you have a couple NPS pieces?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2017, 10:03 AM   #77
Subsea
Registered Member

Some NPS

Russ Kronwetter at Gulf Coast EcoSystem has very nice gorgonions and sponges. The red tree sponges and orange encrusting sponge are great additions to Jaubert Plenum. Because I went with photosynthetic gorgonions, I doubled the light intensity on this tank. In doing so, I needed to provide some shade for NPS corals.

I received a Chilli Coral from Divers Den one month ago. It was gorgeous in the shipping bag with “feathers flying” and stayed that way with transfer to tank. Chilli continued “flying colors” and I went to bed. During the night, urchins dislodged rock overhang burying Chilli. Because of sandbed maintenance with stirred up detritus in display tank, I put Chilli in unlit refugium for three weeks.

Yellow Finger gorgonians are certainly NPS and seem to be content. I have five other gorgonions of which one species is NPS:
https://www.live-plants.com/yellowfinger.htm
https://www.live-plants.com/purpleseafan.htm

While the Purple Sea Fan is a NPS found in 40’-60’ of water, there are three other photosynthetic gorgonians, (Purple Bush, Purple Ridddon and Purple Frily) are found near the surface. I can’t tell the difference in looking at them. I wish that I had only ordered the Purple Sea Fan.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 11/22/2017 at 10:14 AM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 07:10 PM   #78
Subsea
Registered Member

Chilli is Back

Things that I am thankful for.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F073B42A-EF5E-439D-8B12-FD7F0F124C39.jpg (77.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 795CF551-6C1F-4F0B-9B9D-BB4754F51276.jpg (76.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg A69CDDF1-C335-4C95-A3DF-CEA426868FCD.jpg (86.5 KB, 22 views)

Unread 11/24/2017, 12:32 PM   #79
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
I agree we need some level of nutrients. Our tanks need a way to process the nutrients one way or another though. If you don't, they will build up to intolerable levels. So you need to remove nutrients in order to obtain a system balance. We don't want to strip them completely, but removal from the water column is essential.

I love the way you do it, how much time does it take to maintain your system? My impression is that it takes a lot of time and attention to run a system like that, so I'm curious to what your experience with it has been.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
The above is the core of our discussion. Nutrients are processed and or removed. There is one other player that no one talks about,
"System Biomass". The nutrients that you are talking about removing would indeed grow biomass. As the Gardner of our reef tank, we manage biomass with good old fashioned work. But why should I do the work. Bring on the janitors, particularly sandbed detrivores.

Drawing from a later post you asked about steady state. I say "Dynamic Equilibrium". When you have enough of everything you want in your reef tank, then back off the food input. A mature reef tank under steady state conditions is sooooooooooooooo easy to maintain. When I worked in the North Sea on a 28 day on 28 day off work schedule, no one would feed my system while I was away. With 150G display tank in my home, I had 1000G of refugiums and 4' by 8' by 6" high propagattion tanks in my half of garage. Everything balanced out.

Unread 11/26/2017, 12:43 AM   #80
Subsea
Registered Member

Flame Scallops

I recently did some aquascaping and removed some Sargassum to outside system. Lights off, 3 out of four, except for back row. I just did put something Red Sea Xenia on rock nex5 to GSP.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.1 KB, 14 views)

Unread 11/26/2017, 12:48 AM   #81
Subsea
Registered Member

Good night tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.1 KB, 18 views)

Unread 12/18/2017, 12:30 PM   #82
Subsea
Registered Member

Some observations.

Chilli is not doing well. Excess detritus from sand bed maintenance requires two or three cleaning each day. I put Chilli in cryptic refugium last night. This morning, Chilli quadrupled in size with a healthy fire engine red coloration.

I have two plausible explanations, both of which could have happened together. Detritus plugged up feeding mechanisms for Chilli. The second part of the explanation deals with where Chilli is. A 25 year old 30G mud macro refugium which was converted to cryptic refugium three months ago. The flow dynamics in a three stage EcoSysten mud macro refugiums drops out detritus in the first chamber., the second and largest section spreads the flow out. Even though I have a high turn over rate for cryptic sponges as discribed by Steve Tyree, I feel that the sponges will sort it out.

OK. SO I have outlined how flow dynamics and detritus accumulation favors my 30G mud, cryptic sponge refugium for Chill or should I say that Chilli favors the refugium and I recognized the bioindicators.

Why does Chill, a deep water non photosynthetic coral, favor my cryptic refugium? While light is a consideration, I think food is the more plausible. Consider this, cryptic sponges consume DOC and produce DIC and “Marine snow”, both of which are live organic nutrients.

IMO, Chilli Coral likes the “food of sponges”.

The top 75G Jaubert Plenum has never looked better after 25 years. With the loss of my two Tangs, I am adding decorative macro as well as ornamental sponges of all colors. Anythony Calfo says that there are > 8000 species of sponges. I am sure that the eating habits are as differrent as night and day. I provide as much Tank grown live food as my 45 years experience grants me. For certain, I have never feed a tank so much organic food as this system. In addition to flakes, 4 cubes of frozen mysis, I feed one live mussels and one clam each day. I am going to switch out from clams to oysters, because of more gut cavity bacteria to enhance fish immune systems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.4 KB, 24 views)