Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2017, 04:29 PM   #1
billdogg
Registered Member

Calcium overdose

My DT uses about 75ml of both 2-parts a day. I was fine tuning the Calcium and inadvertently turned the time from "auto" to "On" My Calcium dosing container was full. 2 gallons full. At this point I really don't know how high it is, but it took just over 2 1/2 syringes of part 3 (salifert) to turn it blue. What can I do besides water changes to bring it back to something creatures from this planet can tolerate?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 05:54 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure that it's possible to raise the calcium level in a tank to a toxic level. People have run for extended periods with very high calcium readings. The supplement might have some impurities in it that might cause problems. If the animals seem okay for the first couple of days, I doubt you'll see an effect.

The only practical way to lower calcium is water exchanges. Overdosing alkalinity can cause massive precipitation and thus lower the calcium level, but the cure is much worse than the disease.

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:43 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! My best guess is that the Ca was about 1700 this afternoon. I did a ~40g change and it now tests +-850. I’ll do another tomorrow and then again Monday if needed.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 10/13/2017, 07:01 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, that's the highest calcium level I've seen reported. What is the alkalinity level?

The water changes seem like a fine idea at this point.

Unread 10/14/2017, 06:11 AM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

On Monday, the Alk was 9.6, where it had been for at least several months. Yesterday when I tested it had dropped to 7.7.

I've got another 55g of IO mixed up and will be doing a water change right after breakfast. I'll be interested to see where things sit after that.

I've been asked why I keep at least a couple cases of both IO and IORC on hand at all times - well, this is why. When you need it in a hurry, you really need it!

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:30 AM   #6
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Yep, no doubt about that. Also why I keep a 40 gallon trash can full of RODI and another one full of mixed seawater on hand at all times.

I just went through something similar to this, though not as extreme. I incorrectly supplemented a new batch of seawater with calcium chloride, and didn't re-test it before using it for a couple of water changes. Both tanks were in the mid 600's afterwards.

In my case, I chose to allow the calcium level to fall naturally in one tank (the larger one), and use water changes to bring it back down in the smaller, 20g tank. What I noticed in the larger tank was an increased alkalinity consumption. The dosing on that tank is maintained by a Neptune DOS, and my alkalinity dosing went from 35 mL per day to about 40 mL per day. That's with daily testing of the alk level to maintain it at 8 dkH, and with the calcium dosing turned off. It's taken about 3 weeks to fall from 650 ppm to about 550 ppm.

The good news here that might be applicable in your circumstances is that I haven't noticed any ill effects on any corals in either tank. But I think Jonathon is right - the concern is increased alkalinity consumption due to abiotic precipitation that the tank owner doesn't catch.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 07:43 AM   #7
orcafood
Registered Member

I have done exactly what you did before. As has been said water changes or wait. Waiting is so hard though Sps growth abruptly halted after my calcium hit 600. Your calcium reading is probably false, the kits are designed for a certain range. The problem is doing small water changes will very slowly dilute high calcium, so aggrevating.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon sps
orcafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 08:34 AM   #8
billdogg
Registered Member

What tipped me off was the rather sudden bleaching of my montipora sp corals. They are not happy AT ALL.

I can only guess as to the true Calcium level in the tank. It took just over 2 1/2 syringes of part c (salifert) to get the solution to change from pink to blue. Looking at their chart, it is ~50ppm per .1ml so I just did the math from there to get a ballpark figure.

And I'm off to another water change! The new water tests at 440 (IO) so we'll see how far I can get it down this go-round. I'd be happy with something in the 600 range so that I can then just let it drift down from there.

Unread 10/14/2017, 01:57 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Another 40+ g water change is done.

Latest testing shows:

Alkalinity is back up to 8.6
Magnesium has dropped a bit to 1335
Calcium is now almost in the livable range! 750

I'll test again tomorrow, and then do another change on Monday.

Most of my Montipora's are pretty much toast at this point. Thankfully, I have a thriving Frag Tank in the basement (totally separate system) so all is not lost.

Unread 10/14/2017, 04:58 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm sorry to hear about the Montipora. 750 ppm should be safe.