Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2009, 12:48 AM   #1
chris88
Registered Member

Vinegar dosing

I mix vinegar (15ml) with my kalk (1tsp) and have been doing so for about 3 months now. I have seen great results in the form of low nitrates and phosphates with very low algae growth. On the other hand I get tiny bits of cyno or a similar looking red bacteria in the sand. Instead of getting green algae on the glass I get a similar style whitish film which I assume is bacteria. It comes off very easy with my usual glass cleaning and doesn’t seem to cause any problems. My question is if 15ml is a lot for about 50g of total water? I go through about one batch of kalk every two days.

Second question is if vinegar and vodka are equivalent as a carbon source on a ml per ml comparison and if not what’s the difference?

Thanks!!!

chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2009, 06:36 AM   #2
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

As I posted in your other thread, dosing too much vinegar will lead to bacterial blooms. From your description, it sounds like you now need to reduce the amount of vinegar you are dosing, since your nitrate levels have dropped. It does work well IME to reduce your nitrates. If you want to continue you will need to cut back and find your maintainence dosage rate that does not cause bacterial problems.

Vinegar and vodka are not equal ml. to ml. I don't remember the exact conversion. Many hobbyists who have played around with dosing carbon sources find that a mixture of vodka, sugar and vinegar works well. Genetics has more knowledge about this aspect than I.

Vodka Dosing...Distilled!
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php

Lately, Genetics has stated he likes using glucose instead of sugar in his mix.

Algae and cyano can be problems and IMHO, the increased organic matter produced by the carbon dosing can cause this. It is important to skim wet with a good quality skimmer, run GAC and do proper water changes to keep the dissolved organic matter in your water column under control.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2009, 12:04 PM   #3
chris88
Registered Member

thanks for the info!

chris88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2009, 01:58 PM   #4
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Your welcome.