Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2008, 11:55 AM   #1
reef_only
Registered Member

ETSS Skimmer Club!

I have not seen thread on this and thought of created one. This is only skimmer I've been using and mine is similar to below. I also have a spare ETSS reef devil deluxe skimmer in case there is need. I have a feeling that not many people like ETSS skimmer, but I know there are still people using those. For me I like it because it does its job and has externally small footprint. How about yours? please share your experiences whether you like it or not.

reef_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 12:54 PM   #2
saveafish
Registered Member

Well most dont like them due to the amount of electricty they use. I use a spray injected, becketts, and downdrafts. But I have a couple why's. One these type of skimmers or made for big tanks. and downdrafts, spray injected, becketts are proven to remove phos. It is like this to me if you want to save gas drive a geo metro. If you want to get there fast and win drive a AAA dragister.
A lot want to run their tanks with little electric cost. Though this is life support. and life support is not cheap..

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 01:51 PM   #3
scooter86
Registered Member

been using a 900 for 2.5 years and like it very much. I use an Iwaki 55 to power it. Can't compare to any others, since this is the only skimmer I have ever had.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef 155 african
scooter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 02:47 PM   #4
ksfa10
Registered Member

ETSS

On the job for 3 years.

ksfa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2008, 04:42 PM   #5
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

My ETSS 800 XR

thats a bit of an older pic, its now hooked up to the waste collector.

Theres nothing in my tank yet so nothing to skim, so I'm not sure about its performance. My system is around ~350g, and the skimmer is fed by an Iwaki 55.

I put a filter sock on the outlet, but it seems microbubbles are still shooting out backwards out of the sock.

This was not my original skimmer of course (got it by accident, due to a company going bankrupt and losing my correct skimmer), but I am going to give it a chance to break in and see how it works.

Ryan

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2008, 11:12 AM   #6
reef_only
Registered Member

It should be able to handle your 350G system. You only need to tune up to give the right amount of waste. About your skimmer intake, looks like it got modified. Did you do it on purpose to fit in your sump? it doesn't seem to be balanced of water comming in between the 2 bio-ball chammbers. This seems to reduce the effective of the bio-balls somewhat like having 1.5 of column of bio-balls instead of fully 2 column IMO.

Unread 07/02/2008, 11:15 AM   #7
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

do you mean how the skimmer inlet is off to the left, rather than centered between the towers?

I noticed this too, it looks different from what is on the AEtech website, but that is how I got it.

the only thing I changed was removed the 1" hose barb and replaced with a male thread adapter.

I also had to replace the barb on the waste collection cup, since it was poorly installed too close to the riser and my hose was getting a kink, shutting off the airflow.

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
Unread 07/02/2008, 11:29 AM   #8
reef_only
Registered Member

Yes it is off to the left. If you didn't modify it for some reason, then you can easily change it back to the original, as in the original pictures, by using 6 elbow(3 on left and 3 on right) and 1 Tee connectors in the back.

Unread 07/02/2008, 11:34 AM   #9
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

you think its really worth it? if AETech is making them that way then it must work ok.

Unread 07/02/2008, 11:56 AM   #10
jdieck
Registered Member

I have been using a 1500 in my system for 7 years, I would not change it for anything else. They are simple, strong, easy to clean and very very low maintenance. If I wanted to switch for a needle wheel one, at this capacity I have calculated that the power used by the many recirculation pumps equals the one single HP pump I am using not counting on the maintenance nightmere of taking care of four needlewheels.
I have never had a needlewheel based one but people who own needlewheels and have seen mine in operations say they whish they had a downdraft.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
jdieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2008, 12:00 PM   #11
reef_only
Registered Member

I don't know if it worth it as this skimmer can produce almost any amount of skimmate you want anyway. I still think it is after market modification but I could be wrong too.

Unread 07/02/2008, 12:02 PM   #12
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

I thought so too but I have seen alot of images from online vendors that are identical to mine:

Unread 07/02/2008, 12:22 PM   #13
reef_only
Registered Member

oh ic. I didn't see it before. Let us know your experience when have it up and running. Most people who have used these skimmers like them, most of people who don't like these skimmers have never used them.

Unread 07/08/2008, 01:12 PM   #14
jimroth
Moving Money

I'm in the process of setting up my custom 220G reef, and I'm using an ETSS1000 I bought from somebody who never set it up. It's the original design, but I got a new inlet (sprayer?) for it from ETSS.
My impression is that it's powerful but tricky to adjust. I managed to get around 10G of saltwater onto the garage floor during the break-in period. (I made a home made waste-collector from a bucket, but the skimmer overwhelmed my shut-off valve!) Now I "get it" a little more and I am generating consistent dry foam. Reading the instructions helped.
I am running a used Iwaki 100RLT as the pump, and I have control valves on the pump output, the air inlet, and of course the skimmer drain.
This skimmer has something of a bad rep in my club, I'm the fourth owner! The original owner said it "batch skims," ie, it will produce nothing for days and then suddenly crank out a quart of dark skimmate, has anyone else found that?
I'm trying to build a better waste collector, failing that I will buy one.

Current Tank Info: 250G custom SPS System w/3X Radions
jimroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2008, 01:18 PM   #15
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

I find that also.

When I very first added water and salt to my 220/400 system, I fired up my ETSS 800.

Instantly it built a full head of foam (not really fine bubbles or anything, just foam with lots of large bubbles, some small). It skimmed about a quart of greyish liquid that was mostly just filled with dust, hair etc. Must have been all the dust that was collecting in the 6 tanks that are on my plumbing loop. Thats alot of surface area.

but since then it hasn't skimmed anything, it won't even build bubbles anymore. I have liverock in the sump and I've been adding cyclopeeze every day and so far nothing.

my water is probably just too clean, or the load I have is way to small for 400g. No living animals in the system yet besides some liverock. Still waiting on other things to progress first.

but I definitely get the impression that this skimmer has to reach "critical mass" before it even starts working.

Unread 07/08/2008, 01:22 PM   #16
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

and I am having the hardest time getting the collection cup waste-line to be a downward slope to the waste collector.

I have my skimmer raised ~4" off the ground, but even so the waste outlet is only about 1" higher than the inlet of the waste collector.

The waste tube runs about 30" horizontal and 1" vertical.

I spent about 45 minutes with a heat gun trying to form the tube to be a nice slope, but it always goes back to sticking up too much..

its because I couldn't find the Small waste collector like I wanted. So I had to get the large one and I hate it. I am thinking of cutting the waste collector thing in half and regluing it together so I can have a proper downward slope on the waste line.

Unread 07/08/2008, 02:19 PM   #17
jimroth
Moving Money

Mine is on the top of a bench, but it's so tall I had to make a little cockpit for it to sit in, or it wouldn't clear the ceiling!.
You might try the more fleixble clear vinyl tubing. I have the stiffer "pond tubing" and it twists the fitting on the collection cup, causing leaks. I think since it's a low-pressure hose, anything that will pass the air output should be OK. So I'm switching it.

Unread 07/08/2008, 02:24 PM   #18
barfish
Registered Member

i have an etss 750 evolution that i bought used to put on my 210 that i am currently putting together. I have an iwaki 30rlxt, and a blueline 40 for pumps. will either one of these work or do i have to go with the iwaki 40 or 55. Any advice or tips on hook up. I may run the etss external and then a euro reef internal.kind of a fast skim slow skim thing.does this make any sense?

barfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2008, 02:29 PM   #19
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

Jimroth...

I tried that first actually, and the flexible vinyl didn't work either. the pipe sagged on the horizontal slope, its too soft to keep a real form.

also, I had to replace the crappy barb fitting that my skimmer came with. I cannot believe the skimmer came like this. It was unusable so I had to replace that fitting with a JG style fitting, and then sand it down to fit:

Before (stock retail):

Notice the tube is kinked because they didn't think to leave enough space for the pipe.

My mod:

heres the JG fitting before sanding down to fit. notice height difference:

Unfortuantely its the only fitting I could make work, and flexible tubing does not work well with JG. It is possible to get the tubing to seal, but often it just kinks up inside the fitting without getting into the o-ring.

Unread 07/08/2008, 09:29 PM   #20
jimroth
Moving Money

I switched to a grey barb fitting from home depot. The threaded end still fits but the barb is skinnier and fits 5/8" black tubing. It's a little better now.

Unread 07/08/2008, 09:32 PM   #21
jimroth
Moving Money

Quote:
Originally posted by barfish
i have an etss 750 evolution that i bought used to put on my 210 that i am currently putting together. I have an iwaki 30rlxt, and a blueline 40 for pumps. will either one of these work or do i have to go with the iwaki 40 or 55. Any advice or tips on hook up. I may run the etss external and then a euro reef internal.kind of a fast skim slow skim thing.does this make any sense?
I don't think the 30rlt or blueline will work. Call ETSS for minimum reccommendations, they will set you straight. I was going to use a PCX 55 and they told me it couldn't cut it on the ETSS1000.

Unread 07/08/2008, 09:40 PM   #22
ZURCSREEF
Moved On

I just picked up a ETSS 800 from a member here on the forums, will let you know when its hooked up with some pics!

-Mike C.

ZURCSREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2008, 10:23 PM   #23
barfish
Registered Member

etss reccomends the iwaki 40rlt, 55rlt or a mag 18. the 40rlt output is 750gph,55rlt is 1080. my 30rlxt is a pressure rated pump and its rated at 960gph, and the blueline is 790gph. so can i use a pressure rated pump, i read in a previous post that the more flow and pressure the better on etss skimmers.

Unread 07/09/2008, 03:22 AM   #24
Larry Waughon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZURCSREEF
I just picked up a ETSS 800 from a member here on the forums, will let you know when its hooked up with some pics!

-Mike C.
You beat me to it! Nice buy!

Unread 07/09/2008, 05:48 AM   #25
barfish
Registered Member

does anyone have any experience with the evolution 750?