Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2008, 08:18 AM   #26
Indyws6
Registered Member

Greetings
I have a Reef Devil Deluxe skimmer (and sump) but have been skimmer shopping for something larger to handle an increased bio-load. I'm looking at the 800 XR, so I am happy to see this thread. A couple of thoughts:

* I have called AETech a couple of times with questions and have always been pleased with the access to a live person and their willingness to help. Kudos to Customer Support

* The starting / stopping of productive skimming is a reality. I'm no expert, but it seems like anything that can change the surface tension of the water can ultimately impact the skimmer's production. For example, simply putting your hand in the tank can cause the foam head to collapse, presumably due to skin oils. I also found that feeding could do the same and that it sometimes took a long time to recover. Now, I simply rinse my frozen food thoroughly in a fish net before adding it to the tank. The foam may collapse, but recovers reasonably quickly

* I had an issue with the skimmer running amok and creating a very watery skimmate that eventually overflowed my high-tech collection cup (e.g fabric softener bottle...) and flooded my stand. I discovered that my filter sock was getting clogged, expanding and partially blocking the output of my skimmer. Lesson learned: Don't block the output of a skimmer that is driven by a high-volume, pressure-rated pump

* Many of the "high-end" skimmers require several small pumps. The downdraft skimmers typically require a single larger pump. Simply purchase the most electrically efficient pump(s) that suit the skimmer you intend to use. There are skimmers that require less energy, but there are skimmers that require more. It's a trade-off

* I use a couple of off-the-shelf AquaClear foam blocks in the center section of my sump. They fit perfectly and prevent all micro-bubbles from entering the tank

* Except for the "monster" skimmers, ETSS offers several models that are approximately 24" in height. This is wonderful for people that have limitations due to placement in the stand. I do not want to have equipment exposed (my tank is in the living room) and do not have a basement or "fish room" for that purpose, so having options for a quality, performing skimmer in a compact package size is great. I'm surprised more companies haven't seen this as a selling point...

* Many ETSS skimmers can be run in-sump or external. I prefer to run mine externally, so this is also a nice selling feature

Hope this helps someone...

Take Care

Current Tank Info: Needs a refresh...
Indyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 09:15 AM   #27
ksfa10
Registered Member

Indy is exactly correct in respect to the skimming fluctuations of these particular skimmers. Water levels in the skimmer are critical for consistent results from these skimmers. If your sump water level fluctuates by an inch or more this will cause problems with this skimmer (and many others, by the way). I believe that this is causing most of the problems with "wetskimming" that some are seeing. Blockage of the skimmer exit as Indy mentioned will greatly increase these issues, it is the same effect you would get if you closed the gate valve excessively at the skimmer exit, water level rises and the unit "overskimms". I use an ETSS sump that is designed to allow the skimmer area to stay relatively constant water level while the exit area of the sump fluctuates in depth. Hope this helps a little.
Kent

ksfa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 09:18 AM   #28
jimroth
Moving Money

Quote:
Originally posted by barfish
etss reccomends the iwaki 40rlt, 55rlt or a mag 18. the 40rlt output is 750gph,55rlt is 1080. my 30rlxt is a pressure rated pump and its rated at 960gph, and the blueline is 790gph. so can i use a pressure rated pump, i read in a previous post that the more flow and pressure the better on etss skimmers.
Yes, the tall ones pretty much require a pressure-rated pump. It's a LONG WAY UP to the top of the tower. I'm using a 100RLT on my ETSS1000, they told me it was at least a 70RLT needed.

Current Tank Info: 250G custom SPS System w/3X Radions
jimroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 12:53 PM   #29
reef_only
Registered Member

There are a few things I found useful to pay attention when setting up mine:
Make sure the bio-balls aren't too full in the column, if it is too full there won't be enough air to produce bubble also it may cause leak as the intake isn't sealed.
Make sure the output doesn't have a lot of pressure either give it a vent pipe of don't submerge the output too deep into the sump water.
Be patient when tuning up to correct level of skimming, this skimmer sometime doesn't produce skimmate right away, by adjusting the output to see the skimmate right away will likely to cause too wet(or flood) skimming when it kicks in, I started with wide open output and closed it slowly until I saw the water is at the black portion (no water in the clear tube at this time), waited overnight and checked to see how much skimmate has rised up in the clear column and adjusted (closed/reduced the output) by turning the output valve slowly about 10degree turn at a time and checked back in a few hours before doing further adjustment. When the skimmer produced the right amount of skimmate over a few days, I marked the line at the output valve so I know it is the set point for my skimmer.

reef_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 01:07 PM   #30
bhdmc
Registered Member

I been using the ETSS 700 model running off the Iwaki 40RLT pump for almost 10 years with no problems. It was purchase new. They are very sensitive when adding additives, change the filter sock, etc. I just open up the drain valve a little when doing so and adjust it back after 10 minutes.

bhdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 05:39 PM   #31
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

I had a reef devil for 2 years and loved it. It did it's job. Some of the nicest tanks I've seen used ETSS skimmers. The new skimmers that use less electricity are attractive though. Good to see ETSS still has a loyal following.

joe

Unread 07/10/2008, 04:28 AM   #32
Indyws6
Registered Member

Greetings
I could be wrong, but I think many of the "latest & greatest" skimmers (e.g. the ones that seem to have multi-hundred post threads...) don't necessarily use less electricity than the high-volume pumps required by an ETSS skimmer. It seems like a lot of those skimmers also use large pumps, or multiple smaller ones, to achieve their performance results. Some of the recirculating skimmers that get a lot of attention have 2, 3 or more pumps nn the body, plus a feed pump, which likely adds-up to as much or more elctricity. I know there are some models that seem to perform well and are frugal with electricity. But even many of those get modded right out of the box with larger pumps.

I looked at an Orca 200, but it simply will not fit in my stand. That, along with my experience and satisfaction with the build quality and customer support from AETech for my Reef Devil Deluxe, is why I am looking at an 800 XR. Plus, the pump on the Orca was no better, from the standpoint of electricity consumption, than the pump that will be needed for a comparable ETSS skimmer.

I wish that more skimmer manufacturers offered models that performed well in shorter packages to fit inside the stand. That is one important factor (for me, anyway) that the ETSS line meets.

I would like to see more pictures posted and hear more from the people that have ETSS skimmers running their tanks.

Take Care

Unread 07/10/2008, 08:17 PM   #33
stonecold
Registered Member

What do you guys think about the Evolution 500 on a mixed 180 with heavy bioload?

Unread 07/10/2008, 11:13 PM   #34
Larry Waughon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stonecold
What do you guys think about the Evolution 500 on a mixed 180 with heavy bioload?
Sorry I can't comment never used one before. I am planning my first ETSS 800 on my 180 gal.

Unread 07/11/2008, 04:27 AM   #35
Indyws6
Registered Member

Greetings
AETech shows the Evolution 500 running on a 180G on their website, so that tends to imply suitability to the task. Personally, and again, I am no expert, I would go with the Evolution 750 if you have a heavy bio-load. It has the same design as the 500 (counter-current downdraft) but is for a larger tank. If you equate a heavy bio-load to having a larger tank, the 750 might be the better choice. It requires significantly more pump and is $150 more expensive, though.
I found the tech support at AETech, and their willingness to talk you through choices, to be very good. Give them a call (845-838-9044) - I'm sure they can help you pick the right skimmer.

Hope this helps...

Unread 07/11/2008, 04:42 AM   #36
Indyws6
Registered Member

BARFISH - Greetings
You mentioned that you had an evolution 750. Can you post pictures of your installation? As mentioned, I am considering an 800 XR, but the Evolution 750 is also a possibility and I would like to see one in action.

Others? If you are using the Evolution 500 or 750 skimmer, could you post photos and comments?

Thanks!

Unread 07/20/2008, 10:09 PM   #37
jlemieux123
Registered Member

just got my first etts 900 any pointers will help

Hello I just got a used ETTS 600 skimmer with a gen-x pump 1190GPH pump and about to get it setup. Everything for my aquarium has to go under in the cabinet. I was wondering if could use my new pump to run both the sump return and protein skimmer? This would really help me save space the one thing that I don't have much of to spare.

Is this pump powerful enough to run both?
Has anyone successfully done this?
Will i get a lot of micro bubbles in the tank if i route the return though the skimmer?

Also any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jlemieux123; 07/20/2008 at 10:15 PM.
jlemieux123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2008, 10:29 PM   #38
salty316
Registered Member

I'm running a protean 400 sump that has the built in sump buddy 40 on my 110 gal. I'm pushing it with an eheim 1262 and getting extremely good results. This is my first etss skimmer, but I was so pleased with it I purchased an etss calcium reactor.

Enjoy breathing? Thank Prochlorococcus.

Current Tank Info: Diving back in.
salty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2008, 02:45 PM   #39
reef_only
Registered Member

Re: just got my first etts 900 any pointers will help

Quote:
Originally posted by jlemieux123
Hello I just got a used ETTS 600 skimmer with a gen-x pump 1190GPH pump and about to get it setup. Everything for my aquarium has to go under in the cabinet. I was wondering if could use my new pump to run both the sump return and protein skimmer? This would really help me save space the one thing that I don't have much of to spare.

Is this pump powerful enough to run both?
Has anyone successfully done this?
Will i get a lot of micro bubbles in the tank if i route the return though the skimmer?

Also any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
I would not recommend to share the pump with ETSS and return; ETSS skimmer is sensitive to intake pressure, if the pressure to the skimmer is not stable it is very inefficient the skimmer performs. Minimizing the unstable factor would make the skimmer to work more effectively, especially, the return line pressure is usually not stable, it varies in cycle with water movement in tank.
Not sure what you mean by "routing the return through the skimmer" but you may see some bubbles at the output of skimmer, these bubbles aren't travelling back to the intake.

Unread 07/21/2008, 11:39 PM   #40
jlemieux123
Registered Member

thanks for the advice!

I got my skimmer setup today and it is working great. the person who owned it before me had did the becker mod which seems to help. the air intake was pretty loud but I made a custom silencer out of a pop can and it reduced the noise by 75%. I can believe how well the etss skimmer works.

Unread 07/22/2008, 11:34 AM   #41
reef_only
Registered Member

It would be nice if you can share some pics of the mod and silencer thing.

Unread 07/29/2008, 01:00 AM   #42
jlemieux123
Registered Member

here are some pics of my skimmer

Here are some pics of my skimmer it is a little hard to see since it is in my sump under my tank crammed in with everything else.
First thing you all will notice is the orange and black clamps. This is a mod that the previous owner did and it makes it so much more easy to clean the main body of skimmer.
Second you can see the big white silencer that I a made in about 5min. and it works great. it is just an aluminum can wrapped with masking tape with little slits cut in to it.
Also, you can see the black and gray thing at the end of the clear cylinder which is a becker mod. which I feel help a lot.

This skimmer may be old and not easy on the eye but I have thick milky foam water with excellent skimming performance.

also it only cost me $150 with a newer pump

Photobucket

Photobucket

Unread 07/29/2008, 04:38 AM   #43
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

great skimmer IME>

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2008, 06:17 AM   #44
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Only reason not to used them is the extra pump and electricity.

that said i will be upgrading my system and must likely getting one of those fancy skimmers to do w/o the extra pump.

Never had any complains.
Now this is gunk !
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
Unread 07/29/2008, 06:42 AM   #45
Indyws6
Registered Member

Greetings...
To an extent, I disagree. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that a downdraft skimmer is less efficient (electrically) than other skimmer types. It's true that the downdraft approach requires a larger pump to generate the foam and that might use more electricity than some skimmers, but, many of the skimmers that are getting a lot of visibility these days require a feed pump and one (or several) recirculation pumps. The sum total of those pumps could easily equal or surpass the electrical requirements for the recommended pump on a downdraft skimmer.

It's not inaccurate to say they might use more electricity, but it's not true across the board. Not trying to start a battle I'm just not a big fan of blanket statements

Respectfully, that's my two cents...

Unread 07/29/2008, 06:52 AM   #46
Indyws6
Registered Member

GASMAN059 - Greetings
Which ETSS Skimmer is that? It looks to be working quite well for your tank!

Take Care

Unread 07/29/2008, 07:26 AM   #47
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by Indyws6
Greetings...
To an extent, I disagree. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that a downdraft skimmer is less efficient (electrically) than other skimmer types. It's true that the downdraft approach requires a larger pump to generate the foam and that might use more electricity than some skimmers, but, many of the skimmers that are getting a lot of visibility these days require a feed pump and one (or several) recirculation pumps. The sum total of those pumps could easily equal or surpass the electrical requirements for the recommended pump on a downdraft skimmer.

It's not inaccurate to say they might use more electricity, but it's not true across the board. Not trying to start a battle I'm just not a big fan of blanket statements

ETSS require pressure rated pumps that in general(more often than not require lots more wattage- fact)

Mine was an 800 with an iwaki 55 and yes it worked very well in my tank with tons of livestock. I've used ETSS since its beginnings, and have used one in several tanks from 600 to 200 gallons.

Will be using a BK most likely in my next tank.

Unread 07/29/2008, 07:26 AM   #48
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Quote:
Greetings...

ETSS require pressure rated pumps that in general(more often than not require lots more wattage- fact)

Mine was an 800 with an iwaki 55 and yes it worked very well in my tank with tons of livestock. I've used ETSS since its beginnings, and have used one in several tanks from 600 to 200 gallons.

Will be using a BK most likely in my next tank.

Unread 07/29/2008, 07:45 AM   #49
Indyws6
Registered Member

GASMAN - Greetings Again
Understood - I think, though, that there are skimmers out there that, if you combine the wattage of all of the pumps (feed & re-circulating) it can approach or exceed the wattage required for a single pressure-rated pump on a downdraft. The ETSS skimmers typically do require a sizable volume of water and that tends to lead to pumps that make the meter spin a bit faster - no argument there...

I have looked at replacing my Reef Devil Deluxe with a BK or Orca or similar "high-end" skimmer, but simply don't have the room. I want to keep all of my equipment in the stand (DT is in my living room...) and nearly every skimmer I've looked at it is too tall. That is one big advantage that ETSS has for me - by keeping most of their skimmers at 24" or less, it opens-up the possibility for in-stand use for a lot of people. Granted, some value that more than others, but for me it is a selling point.

Speaking of selling, do you still use the ETSS setup? Will you be looking to sell it when you move to the new skimmer? If so, I might be in the market, Let me know ...

Take Care

Unread 07/29/2008, 09:20 AM   #50
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Quote:
GASMAN - Greetings Again
Understood - I think, though, that there are skimmers out there that, if you combine the wattage of all of the pumps (feed & re-circulating) it can approach or exceed the wattage required for a single pressure-rated pump on a downdraft. The ETSS skimmers typically do require a sizable volume of water and that tends to lead to pumps that make the meter spin a bit faster - no argument there...

I have looked at replacing my Reef Devil Deluxe with a BK or Orca or similar "high-end" skimmer, but simply don't have the room. I want to keep all of my equipment in the stand (DT is in my living room...) and nearly every skimmer I've looked at it is too tall. That is one big advantage that ETSS has for me - by keeping most of their skimmers at 24" or less, it opens-up the possibility for in-stand use for a lot of people. Granted, some value that more than others, but for me it is a selling point.

Speaking of selling, do you still use the ETSS setup? Will you be looking to sell it when you move to the new skimmer? If so, I might be in the market, Let me know ...

Take Care
Agreed -!
Rrecently took the tank down and working on my upgrade.
the tank sold as a whole.
I'm prolly getting the BK 200 that is under 24 for my new tank.
This tank as well as others used to be skimmed by the ETSS and had livestock from many previous tanks w/o issues.
As u can see I have tons of livestock that need taking care off that's why the BK200 I believe will do the trick.U get what u pay for in this hobby(been there done that and I have a t-shirt also LOL)
good luck.

[/IMG]