Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2014, 11:12 AM   #1151
Upstate GTI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedvalson View Post
I have the standard box overflow, not the dragon flow. You are right that the height is limited, but I think I can make most of those skimmers fit. Thanks for all the good advice.

Good to know about the bio balls also, I would have never thought of that.

Don
One other thing. The water depth in your sump box is what? Somewhere in the 9-10" range? If the skimmer you get needs 8" to run you will have to raise your skimmer up 1-2" so don't forget to add that into your clearance calculations.

Upstate GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 03:32 PM   #1152
criticalencore
Registered Member

So is an iwaki md-70rlt enough pump to run my etss 2500 or would I have to have the 100rlt? Looks like the 70 is only about 1500gph and the etss 2500 seems to need 2500gph @10psi

criticalencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 03:52 PM   #1153
azjohnny
Registered Member

At least a 100RLT

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 05:07 PM   #1154
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalencore View Post
So is an iwaki md-70rlt enough pump to run my etss 2500 or would I have to have the 100rlt? Looks like the 70 is only about 1500gph and the etss 2500 seems to need 2500gph @10psi
Absolutely need a 100. At least.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 05:43 PM   #1155
criticalencore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjohnny View Post
At least a 100RLT
Thought so. I sent a couple messages to companies that sell pool pumps to see if they have a pump to meet the need. I have a 3/4 hp Hayward but was looking something more efficent. The blue line and pan world's don't seem to put out enough from the specs I've seen even. Didn't want to drop 500 on the pump to push it but I guess we will see

Unread 01/12/2015, 05:54 PM   #1156
ostrow

You need 1/2 to 3/4 hp at 2500+gph, high pressure.

You should be able to find a dolphin maybe. Make sure whatever you get has saltwater seals!

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 01/12/2015, 05:58 PM   #1157
azjohnny
Registered Member

Iwaki also has a line of pumps with more power called the "MX" series

http://www.shoppumps.com/Iwaki-MX-25...mx-251cv-6.htm

http://www.shoppumps.com/Iwaki-MX-25...mx-250cv-6.htm

Unread 01/13/2015, 06:25 AM   #1158
criticalencore
Registered Member

I have a dolphin 6300 but it isn't "pressure rated". Would something like this work?

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/12...kw#description

Unread 01/13/2015, 06:50 AM   #1159
ostrow

No you need a pressure rated pump. I tried going the route you ask about with my 1000 and it wasn't a skimmer in that mode!

Unread 01/14/2015, 11:18 AM   #1160
S2minute
Registered Member

+1 on the pressure rated pumps for ETSS skimmers. They need it to function properly.

SPS/LPS/175 BB Bow Front DT with Pinnacle Indo reef platform.150 gal cryptic zone tank with a 6" DSB,20 gal reverse photo period cheto and 150 gal rubbermaid sump all linked and gravity feed. DIY LEDS

Current Tank Info: Modified multi-tank Environmental Gradient System with an ETSS 1500XR Downdraft skimmer powered by an Iwaki 100 RLT.
S2minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 12:09 PM   #1161
criticalencore
Registered Member

How can you tell if a pump is pressure rated or not? I see the reeflo manta ray and tiger shark are which are maybe over kill (and alot of amps) and the iwaki 100rlt looks to be a little too small (2100 vs 2500 recommended) so I was looking at other pumps but if they don't say pressure rated can you look at the GPH vs head? I emailed Lifegard about there SeaHorse 1/2hp this morning to see what they said because it seemed to look to be the right size and only a little over 6 amps. The pan world and blue line do not make a pump strong enough. Could I use 2 pumps since it has 2 down tubes?

Last edited by criticalencore; 01/14/2015 at 01:06 PM.
Unread 01/15/2015, 07:29 PM   #1162
dedvalson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate GTI View Post
Hey Don!

As for the sump buddy being loud the answer is both, however the water jetting into the skimmer is the loudest noise. You can mask this somewhat by putting a silencer on the air intake of the skimmer. I don't think you will be able to run the SB40 effectively t'd off your return pump unless your pump is huge and you have it valved down already. Also on the pump end, gph isn't important, head pressure is. If you must go with the dc route I would go with the Waveline DC6000 It has half again the head pressure of the Jeboa. A Waveline DC10000II would be better. Something along the lines of a Magdrive 7 or better yet a 9.5 with a valve is another, cheaper option. I mention the magdrives because they are cheap and can be picked up on craigslist but I would suggest a better pump than the magdrives with the same specs because of the heat issues.

Johan

So I got the Waveline DC6000 and it is running the skimmer. Much to my surprise both the pump and the skimmer are nearly silent. Only noise is from the air intake. I am really pleased about that. However I can't seem to tune the skimmer right. I have the black gate all the way up which I think should lower the level in the column. But if I run the Waveline much past halfway the water blows clear up into the collection cup and I get a constant stream of water out of the waste outlet. The only way I can seem to get it to work right is with the DC6000 a little bit below half. Does this seem right?

Also, there are 3 bioballs in the intake column. Is that the right number?

Thanks,

Don

dedvalson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 06:50 AM   #1163
Upstate GTI
Registered Member

Where is the water level in your sump compared to the skimmer box? Also are you using full size or mini bioballs?

Last edited by Upstate GTI; 01/16/2015 at 07:23 AM.
Upstate GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 08:47 AM   #1164
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalencore View Post
How can you tell if a pump is pressure rated or not? I see the reeflo manta ray and tiger shark are which are maybe over kill (and alot of amps) and the iwaki 100rlt looks to be a little too small (2100 vs 2500 recommended) so I was looking at other pumps but if they don't say pressure rated can you look at the GPH vs head? I emailed Lifegard about there SeaHorse 1/2hp this morning to see what they said because it seemed to look to be the right size and only a little over 6 amps. The pan world and blue line do not make a pump strong enough. Could I use 2 pumps since it has 2 down tubes?
Pressure rated pumps have higher head height, look for at least 25 ft of head. I don't see why 2 pumps wouldn't work. (2) Blueline 70HD

Unread 01/16/2015, 08:55 AM   #1165
azjohnny
Registered Member

A cheaper option would be a Reef Flow Manta Ray, it has more power than you need but you could always use a ball valve if you need to back off of flow

I have no experience with Reef Flow pumps, all of my experience is with Iwaki/Blueline. I have heard the seals can leak, which are easy to replace

http://www.aquacave.com/reeflo-manta...ater-pump.html

Unread 01/17/2015, 06:21 AM   #1166
criticalencore
Registered Member

Yeah I had come across a post online with the formula of converting head pressure to psi and I think I came up with around 23' so i was looking at the Hayward pool pumps and they as re half the price of the lifegard seahorse or the reeflo manta ray but run at like 10 amps.. between the lifegard and the manta ray the manta ray puts out more gph at less amps so that's the route I'm going. Maybe i can use the extra gph to feed something or just ball valve back.... BRS has if for 400 so I'm going to order today

Unread 03/09/2015, 09:44 PM   #1167
meshwheel
Registered Member

Hi guys,
I picked up a Sump Buddy 40 for my 65 gallon SPS tank and man I love it!!! Its sizes correctly for my tank too. Small enough neck to stay busy 24-7 on my system. I am running it with a Waveline DC 6000 pump at half throttle! What a beast this little skimmer is! Its got that shaving cream looking foam the bounces up to the top.
I have a like new ETSS Evolution that is way to big for my tank if anyone is interested. Brand new spears gate valve too. Excellent condition......
Anyone have a sump buddy 40 with the clear box and down draft tube???

Unread 03/19/2015, 07:04 AM   #1168
007Bond
Registered Member

Hi guys,...I have a 1400xl which has been in non stop use for 20+ years ...question has anyone added a neck cleaner ie. Avast or some sort of wash down system? Mine gets pretty messy doing its job,... I want to try to keep the neck cleaner and in top performance without taking it apart every few days.
Anyone add something to theirs to help clean it? Thanks in advance.---Rick

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2015, 08:23 PM   #1169
Jade5051
That guy...

I found an ETSS reef devil 2 or it might be a reef devil 40. How do I tell the difference? It's base is 7.5Lx4.5Wx9H. Can anyone point me in the direction for all the specs on this bad boy? Size, pump, rating, etc? Also, what is it worth sold used?

Last edited by Jade5051; 04/10/2015 at 08:52 PM.
Jade5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2015, 09:09 PM   #1170
jmsalt1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade5051 View Post
I found an ETSS reef devil 2 or it might be a reef devil 40. How do I tell the difference? It's base is 7.5Lx4.5Wx9H. Can anyone point me in the direction for all the specs on this bad boy? Size, pump, rating, etc? Also, what is it worth sold used?
Honestly, I would probably skip it and look for a different skimmer. I owned a Reef Devil and Sump Buddy. These skimmers were a complete PITA but i didn't realize it until I had a decent skimmer. Temperamental. My I-Tech 100 is what I replaced the ETSS models with and it is an amazing skimmer.

Unread 04/10/2015, 09:53 PM   #1171
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsalt1 View Post
Honestly, I would probably skip it and look for a different skimmer. I owned a Reef Devil and Sump Buddy. These skimmers were a complete PITA but i didn't realize it until I had a decent skimmer. Temperamental. My I-Tech 100 is what I replaced the ETSS models with and it is an amazing skimmer.
Could not disagree more. I used many heedlewheel/meshwheel skimmers including a custom made beast. Nothing competes with a properly running downdraft.

Make sure you pair with the correct pump (CA1800 or equivalent) and bioballs in the tower and you will be happy.

Unread 04/10/2015, 10:10 PM   #1172
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
Could not disagree more. I used many heedlewheel/meshwheel skimmers including a custom made beast. Nothing competes with a properly running downdraft.

Make sure you pair with the correct pump (CA1800 or equivalent) and bioballs in the tower and you will be happy.
Durr this doesn't make the decision any easier...honestly the skimmer doesn't really fit in my sump area very well. I'm stuck between an AquaC EV120 and Aquamaxx CO1.

Unread 04/11/2015, 06:11 AM   #1173
jmsalt1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post

Back when I was using the Reef Devil and Sump Buddy, I was convinced they were the right choice because I didn't have anything to compare to them. Once I bought the iTech100 w the Tunze pump, I think I gave away the Reef Devil to a local reefer and sold the Sump Buddy at a very fair price because I knew I'd never go back. Anyone who tells you these smaller ETSS skimmers aren't a PITA is in the minority. I think you will find fewer old school downdraft enthusiasts than ever these days and while I haven't checked lately, am pretty sure ETSS is no longer making skimmers, same for iTech, but different reasons. If you get an ETSS for free or dirt cheap, give it a try, maybe you will be one of the few that find it to be all that and a bag of chips!

Unread 04/11/2015, 09:16 AM   #1174
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsalt1 View Post
Back when I was using the Reef Devil and Sump Buddy, I was convinced they were the right choice because I didn't have anything to compare to them. Once I bought the iTech100 w the Tunze pump, I think I gave away the Reef Devil to a local reefer and sold the Sump Buddy at a very fair price because I knew I'd never go back. Anyone who tells you these smaller ETSS skimmers aren't a PITA is in the minority. I think you will find fewer old school downdraft enthusiasts than ever these days and while I haven't checked lately, am pretty sure ETSS is no longer making skimmers, same for iTech, but different reasons. If you get an ETSS for free or dirt cheap, give it a try, maybe you will be one of the few that find it to be all that and a bag of chips!

It's only $30. I was thinking its a great deal and can I make it work? You can mount the externally right?

Unread 04/11/2015, 09:23 AM   #1175
ostrow

Yes they are great externally. Again make sure you use the right pump. I bet a small Panworld would rock it!