Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2009, 10:41 AM   #151
vlepouce
Registered Member

When I was looking I also looked at the reef devil deluxe and sump buddy 40. The sump buddy has a redesigned downdraft and fits into a very small space. When I contacted ETSS about the difference and their recommendation for my tank they suggested the sump buddy would outperform the reef devil deluxe. Not having owned the reef devil deluxe I have no way to know, but the sump buddy 40 produces a thick dark putrid smelling skimmate. I would suggest the remote container as there is no smell until you empty it, and this skimmer can produce a lot of skimmate in a day. My water was never as clear as it is now. The build quality is impressive and the performance has been awesome. After tweeking the water level it is set it and forget it.

vlepouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2009, 05:17 PM   #152
chads 385
Registered Member

Monster ETSS

If any of you guys is looking for or knows someone looking for an ETSS 5000 XR have them get a hold of me.

chads 385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2009, 06:28 PM   #153
rickyfins
Registered Member

You still have the ETSS 5000XR from 2 years ago?

WOW...

Is it still NIB?

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS

Yea, I can grow that. Have some water? It's just SCIENCE!!

Offical NCPARS "Nazi Thread Ender"

Current Tank Info: None at the moment.
rickyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2009, 11:22 AM   #154
chads 385
Registered Member

Its brand new in the box never used

Unread 02/14/2009, 01:14 PM   #155
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

I have question with my skimmer , i have reef devil deluxe and i run it with 950g\h pump , if i wont to get darker skimate did you advice me to use larger pump ?

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2009, 06:49 PM   #156
chads 385
Registered Member

Decreasing your water level in your skimmer neck will give you a darker skimate. I wouldnt put a pump on any bigger than the manufacturer of the skimmer recommends. I keep mine looking like dark ice tea I have always believed wetter is better.

Unread 02/14/2009, 10:56 PM   #157
rickyfins
Registered Member

Agreed, unlike other skimmers, the ETSS skimmers run great with wet skimmate. If they get to dry, the top section gets all hard and crusty. Thats a no no for the corvette of skimmers...

HAHA

I just love my 600XR. Sounds like a Scud missle when I walk through the fishroom.

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS

Yea, I can grow that. Have some water? It's just SCIENCE!!

Offical NCPARS "Nazi Thread Ender"

Current Tank Info: None at the moment.
rickyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2009, 11:09 PM   #158
xJake
Registered Member

Mmmmmm... skimmate.... (courtesy of the Toledo Zoo Aquarium)

Here it is all squeaky clean...
WARNING: MUTE YOUR SOUND (it's really loud and annoying for some reason)

xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 10:28 AM   #159
cnaegler
Registered Member

Nice xJake,
What size ETSS ans what size pump drives that sucker?

You can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!

Save the reefs! Buy captive bred fish and aquacultured corals!

Current Tank Info: Downsizing to a 120 BB SPS tank, 6205 &6305 Tunze on 7095 controller, Current USA extreme 8 x 54 fixture
cnaegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2009, 11:58 PM   #160
xJake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cnaegler
Nice xJake,
I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I go in this Sunday (Feb. 23).

Unread 02/16/2009, 12:40 AM   #161
jdieck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cnaegler
Nice xJake,
To me it looks like an old version of the 2500 with the larger diameter bottom riser.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
jdieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 01:14 AM   #162
xJake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
To me it looks like an old version of the 2500 with the larger diameter bottom riser.
Yep, that's the one. It's definitely old, so that would explain the difference in the diameter of the bottom riser. I'm guessing that it just has the recommended pump from the ETSS site. (It's a Blueline/Panworld pump)

Unread 02/16/2009, 01:43 AM   #163
FirstContact
Registered Member

Free Bump,

This is such a great thread!

FirstContact

FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 02:26 AM   #164
jmsalt1
Registered Member

Sump Buddy 40

Talked to Gary at AETech a few days ago about the Sump Buddy 40. Sounds like it is being well received by those that are using it. I may be the last guy out there still running a Reef Devil II that is about 10 years old. I've been researching the heck out of all the fancy new stuff out there which = big $$$ in many cases. I think I've come full circle and may end up going with the Sump Buddy 40. My sump runs with only about 5-6" of water in it so that becomes a problem with a number of skimmers but sounds like it may be a good application for this skimmer. Still deciding but was hoping for some advice from other ETSS users that may be running this skimmer.

jmsalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 07:47 AM   #165
shleprock30
Registered Member

I am Running the SB40 in 7inches and it is great. I have an older square box Reef Devil also and I had to put that one on a stand. I can say between the 2 the SB40 is very easy to get dialed in.

It is in the sump just making bubbles, I have done the needle wheel skimmers and get tired of the maintenance. I like the set and forget.

BTW, I am running mine with 3 of the mini bio balls, on a Mag 7.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 37 gal reef. CPR MRT 13 gal. ETSS Sump buddy 40, 175watt MH 14K
shleprock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 08:49 AM   #166
jmsalt1
Registered Member

Thanks. I do find my ability to get the RD II consistently producing foam to my liking a bit of a challenge. Gary at AETech did say that the improvements over the last decade (that sounds funny when the word decade can be associated with equipment you own)since I bought my RD II have made them much better on this front in the form of the Reef Devil Deluxe or the SB 40. This is a very helpful thread, thanks to those that are contributing.

Looking at the AETech site it sould like the Mag 9.5 that I am using to run the RD II could easily be used on the SB 40.

jmsalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 08:58 AM   #167
Iostream
Registered Member

I am running a Mag 9.5 on the SB40 (ish Proten 400). It runs like a champ. FWIW I have never had to readjust the skimmer unless I was experimenting with different pumps or bio balls. After all of my experimentation, the Mag 9.5 certainly does the best (and use the number of bio-balls that AETech recommends in the manual).

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 34G started 9/07 90G Reef Ready restarted 10/11
Iostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2009, 09:41 AM   #168
hottuna
Registered Member

IOstream : looking at your www red house...the one pic I see of the skimmer looks like it is producing tea colored weak skimmate? is that before or after the bioball change???
how does the skimmate look now???

Unread 02/16/2009, 09:50 AM   #169
Iostream
Registered Member

Haha, that was the equipment setup, the tank had nothing but Eco Rox in it. It was also with a mag 7 and a different number of bioballs. At this point I get a very dark skimmate, and a pretty good amount of it.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 34G started 9/07 90G Reef Ready restarted 10/11
Iostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2009, 08:51 PM   #170
hottuna
Registered Member

anyone with pics of a sumb buddy 40 setup ?

Unread 02/21/2009, 07:50 PM   #171
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

I got a killer deal on an ETSS 1000XR. It arrived, even though packed unbelievably well, like this:

I found an acrylic fabrication shop that fixed the tower, reinforced it, and then bracketed it on, and built me a stand so I could set the skimmer in my sump above the water line. Here's the bracket. This tower ain't goin nowhere!

I am running it off a T from my Hammerhead. I got 3000gph from a 1" tube out of that T. The ETSS has a reducer to I think 3/4" or 1/2" on the inlet at the top of the tower. I have no idea how much water is going in there but the valve on the T is about 75% open. Maybe a tad more.

I wish my Dwyer could measure the air intake, but there is no practical way to do it as the intake is 5/8". But the reduction to fit my Dwyer makes measurement silly. If I reduce to the small intake on the meter, the skimmer shuts down and it is pulling 25lpm on the meter. Must be closer to 55 or 60lpm.

And Dr. Good Luck (beyond the cracked tower) ... I got a great idea from someone to tie fishing line to the first bioball going into the tower, so that when I need to change the balls, I could pull the line and they'd all come up.

My 9yr old son tied the line around the ball really great. I dropped it in, then started to add the other balls. Connor yells, "Dad!!!" as the fishing line that I wasn't holding on to fell into the tower. D'oh!

The important thing ... this skimmer kicks butt! After feeding it's down maybe 30min. Otherwise, I get a thick, nasty foam. Very easy to dial this thing in, and unbelievable action. I guess the ability to move 1500-2000gph really makes a difference!

I may go back to my Orca Systems when I get it back (it is being adjusted a bit) but I may just sell that one if this stays consistent. I'm enjoying watching it! The other one will be awesome and if I decide to sell will post here. I mean, it was already terrific (pics still in my gallery), and with the adjustments should be able to handle a Laguna 2400 I have modded, or the 3 Sicces it was running before should pull more air.

More pics:

And my DIY waste collector, that leaks water from condensation underneath the bulkhead holding the air vent on top of the lid... not sure how I'll fix that.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2009, 08:23 PM   #172
67belvedere
Registered Member

i read earlier in this thread about inconsistent skimming my etss 600 did the same thing for a long time so i called and talked to gary at aetech and was told that some models of the 600 used less bioballs than others so went from 23 balls down to 13 and wow what a difference filled to the top foam he also said that they are only recommendations for the amount of balls you need to tune the skimmer to the pump that you are using i can not believe how much this thing skims now

67belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2009, 09:08 PM   #173
clockman
Registered Member

Read my review on the sump buddy 40 in the review section. It's a nice stable skimmer that can work with smaller and more efficient pumps.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal w/ sps and soft corals
clockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2009, 01:25 PM   #174
thorton
Registered Member

just wanted to chime in.. I have a reef devil running off a mag 7. I had horrible time getting the skimmer to be consistant due to fluctuating sump depth. I finally lifted the skimmer up about 10" so it is 2" out of the water and plumbed an elbow on the output so it would release the exit water underwater so I didn't have to hear it. I only have 3' of head rise... but, I'm considering going to a mag 9.5. all in all I'm happy with the unit.

thorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2009, 04:30 PM   #175
hottuna
Registered Member

clockman : read it...sounds good....thanks