Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/11/2018, 01:57 PM   #1
dtapke
Registered Member

odd hitchhiker?

I'm pretty familiar with a lot of different hitchhikers but i've got one thats appeared that i'm not familiar with. I'll try and get a good photo of it later tonight but any help in advance would be great as i'm not sure i can get a good photo.

It seems to have a small bundle attached to rock with fine hairs that resemble fiberglass hairs extending from it. i've got a few that look to just be two small hairs and one group that has maybe 10 hairs extending from it.

the hairs seem to be pretty "strong" as in non flexible. they don't really sway in the breeze of current but seem to be literally as i described fiberglass hairs.

any idea?

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

Foraminiferan?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2018, 05:08 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^ sounds like a good guess so far..
see it here?
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

Old 07/11/2018, 07:08 PM   #4
dtapke
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07/11/2018, 07:09 PM   #5
dtapke
Registered Member

Bottom right in the photo. Although also mildly curious about the guy in the background. Also a hitchhiker. Almost appears to be a teensy tiny torch.

Old 07/11/2018, 07:13 PM   #6
dtapke
Registered Member

Old 07/12/2018, 02:17 PM   #7
jlmawp
Registered Member

Try taking another one with the blues off, and that will help us see the hairy thing.

The green-tipped one looks like a hammer coral to me, but torch is a runner-up I think.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Anemone
Cloning Around

The blue light makes it look funky, but perhaps an encrusting sponge?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Old 07/12/2018, 03:57 PM   #9
dtapke
Registered Member

I'll snag a better photo tonight with a camera instead of a phone. Although usually i'm not concerned about hitchhikers, this guy just looks ominous.

Old 07/12/2018, 05:23 PM   #10
dtapke
Registered Member

Man, getting photos from a camera to here seems trickier than it should be.

Any thoughts?

Old 07/12/2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Anemone
Cloning Around

Well, that looks completely different. Maybe some sort of hydroid?

Kevin

Old 07/12/2018, 08:02 PM   #12
dtapke
Registered Member

Whatever it is, itís grown surprisingly fast on a rock that shouldnít have any life on it. (Sat in unkept tank for 5-7 years, no lights, fresh water top off, flow, temp control)

And from my recollection it didnít exist on that rock 7-10 years ago.

I suppose it couldíve hitchhiked off a recently purchased coral? Although everywhere Iíve gotten coral from claims they have a rigorous quarantine procedure.

Old 07/13/2018, 06:29 AM   #13
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Looks like hydroids to me too.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2018, 07:52 AM   #14
dtapke
Registered Member

Ok. Best pic I can get.
So hydroids.. I seem to be reading some mixed opinions on these. I canít seem to definitively determine that theyíre harmful?

Also, they sound like a real pita to get rid of, so maybe best to let be?

I remember when bristleworms were the worst thing you could have in a tank, I always let mine be. And nowadays people seem quite happy to have a bristleworm in their tank.

Old 07/13/2018, 10:14 AM   #15
jlmawp
Registered Member

Is this a new tank? Hydroids are super common for tanks that are still establishing. If so, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2018, 10:51 AM   #16
dtapke
Registered Member

Hey, It's Kind of a new tank. So the tank had been sitting dormant, no salinity check (was probably SUPER HIGH) no temp, no flow, no lights for the last 5-7 years. I just re-started it about 10 weeks ago. I was AMAZED at the number of critters that lived through the long "dead" period. feather dusters, pods, brittle stars, astreas, sponges, etc all popped back to life within a few weeks (after cycle) on the old live rock.

sounds like i should just leave these guys alone and see if they become a problem?

Old 07/13/2018, 10:56 AM   #17
dtapke
Registered Member

I was thinking of just covering them up with some water weld as it sounds like theres some hardships killing them off, but i'd rather live and let live. I've yet to have a hitchhiker thats caused problems in the 5-7 years i kept the tank prior to the 5-7 years dormancy.

that being said, ive got a hammer and a torch that these may have came on and relocated, and neither of them are doing well. I've got other euphylias that are doing great. just these two from one person haven't done well. and i definitely can see a tiny thing that looks similar to these on each of those. I may try and razor blade them off the frags and see if their health pops back.

two other torches doing great, a hammer doing great, candy cane thats splitting regularly, mushrooms that are all happy, favia, micromussa, monti, and a couple seriotopa all doing awesome.. just these two not doing great. I've moved them to shaded places with low light and they've perked up a bit, but not the show stoppers they were when purchased.

Old 07/13/2018, 10:57 AM   #18
dtapke
Registered Member

p.s. is anyone else unable to feed their candy canes and micro lordhowensis enough? seems like everytime i feed them (weekly) they gobble a pile of mysis up and then open right back up for more within a minute or two!