Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2019, 06:35 AM   #1
phyber
Reef Tank Junkie

Looking for advice on this tank and it being level...

This is a Marineland Corner-Flo 65g sitting on a Marineland Majesty stand. I had it previously set up and running and never really noticed these issues... I'm looking for some peace of mind that the tank and stand are still safe and usable. I did a water leak test prior to bringing it in the house and filling and everything held (and is still holding fine). All silicone seams look great.

I can't seem to figure out why this tank is sitting not only unlevel, but unlevel in different places... For example...

This is my waterline with my return pump not running. You can see that the right hand side sits lower. When I turn on the return pump, the water rises into the black trim area and isn't noticeable.

I placed a 4' bubble level on the top rim of the tank, and while it's within "center" it's not perfect...

Then, I placed the bubble level on the top of the stand's front "trim" area. The reading is close to the same...

Then I placed the level on the floor parallel with the tank. You can see the bubble level not exactly the same as the prior readings...

To further complicate things, it appears that the tank is not level on the stand itself. A measurement from the top of the tank "trim" to the top of the bottom frame shows a difference left side from right...
Left

and Right

Finally, to top it off, I have just noticed small cracks in the bottom frame corners (front right and rear left, pictured below)

I surely wasn't aware of any obstructions on the small areas where the tank rests on the stand when I placed the tank down, and inside the stand when I'm looking with a flashlight there are no anomalies on the bottom of the tank or with the stand. The top of the tank trim also measures slightly different heights left to right from the floor, but I'm not sure if that's attributed to the slant of the floor or my tank.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm super paranoid about stability issues, and it seems like there's a lot of variables here (tank unlevel, stand trim, frame cracks, different heights, etc.) and I'm getting bad vibes. My LFS unfortunately closed and I have no close options for tank replacement or repurchase. I'm really trying to get this tank back up and running since I already have all the items for it.

Any questions or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

phyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2019, 07:51 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its not uncommon at all for the trim itself to not be level but the glass is..
They just slop on some silicone and slap the trim on and press and on to the next tank..

I don't see anything to be worried about..

Unread 06/23/2019, 08:10 AM   #3
phyber
Reef Tank Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its not uncommon at all for the trim itself to not be level but the glass is..
They just slop on some silicone and slap the trim on and press and on to the next tank..

I don't see anything to be worried about..
Thanks! So with the unlevel reading of the tank and stand, combined with those small cracks in the tank frame... Still no issues?

phyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2019, 07:37 PM   #4
on the spot
Registered Member

That frame crack is interesting. never seen a tank do that on the bottom.

Cracked on two different ends? has the stand always been separated at the miters like that? tight fit.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2019, 10:20 PM   #5
DLreef
Registered Member

As long as the stand is level then its all good

DLreef is offline   Reply With Quote