Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Heather80
Registered Member

Faux bleached coral where to buy?

We have a 55 gallon fish only tank (potters angel and soon to be adding a aussi harlequin tusk and a dwarf volitan lion) and i know the potters angel needs some hiding places. So I was wondering if there are any good companies (online) that make some faux bleached corals that are not super expensive. We currently have three medium large pieces in the tank and looking to add more (maybe a large staghorn coral) thanks

Heather80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 07:01 PM   #2
syrinx
Registered Member

There isnt much out there. People have complained about the harvest- but the aftermarket really hasn`t picked up the ball. I would say its likely greener to just buy some dead coral skels- they are easlily bleached and last forever if you are careful, They required no nasty chemicals to produce, and will not be landfill if you choose to discontinue their use. When I had a sho I used to shop high and low and ask all the reps to produce white coral- just not much call- the stupid colored ones are more popular for fresh water tanks than they are for salt- so I guess that may be part of the reason that any exist at all.

syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Agu
Registered Member

For the price of faux coral or bleached coral why not just get dry base rock and seed it with some live rock rubble ? It's a more natural looking environment and eventually you'll get the advantage of natural biofiltration from live rock.

It's commonly known as a FOWLER (fish only with live rock).

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2011, 07:41 PM   #4
preef
Registered Member

FOWLR is definitely the way to go because of the filtration. With bleached coral skeletons you'll need to remove them and bleach them every couple of weeks to keep them white killing off any bacteria. Live rock is really just coral skeletons. If you look around you may find some staghorn shaped pieces.

Unread 04/12/2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Heather80
Registered Member

Thanks I'll look at what my LFS has in live rubble rock when we go to get our Tusk tomorrow. How do I seed dry rock with live rubble rock?

Unread 04/12/2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Heather80
Registered Member

Oh another question about about the faux bleache coral... Will having a UV steralizer cut back on the the bactaria that cause the faux coral from having to be cleaned as often?