Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2008, 01:48 AM   #376
Wind
Registered Member

I am running chaeto, is this really necessary?

Thanks.

More like, how often shall I change the bag?

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2008, 06:54 AM   #377
conorwynne
Registered Member

Hey Wind,

I would always run chaeto as I've noticed nothing but good results from using it. I remove the same amount of chaeto per week that I originally put into the fuge, so it's pulling out phosphates and nitrates at a phenomenal rate. The skimmer hardly gets used at all.

I had a spurt of HA when the fuge was offline for a week during maintenance, it just disappeared when it came back online.
Co-incidence? I don't think so.

I'd change the media once a month, no less -- unless the tank still tests for phosphates. I don't even bother testing phosphates or nitrates any more, any time I do it always reports zero.

Regards
Conor.

Current Tank Info: New tank in progress....
conorwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 12:47 AM   #378
Wind
Registered Member

I haven't seen TOO MUCH growth w/ the chaeto, but light is upgraded to 24watt from a measley 9watt.

When I run GFO in a bag, do I rinse it first and then hang it in my sump?

I am using it via media bag.

Thanks.

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 02:39 AM   #379
conorwynne
Registered Member

I love that, light upgraded to 9watts. Only works in a fuge eh?
Yes, you need to rinse the media prior to adding to the tank - a lot of people advocate rinsing in RO, I just use the tap at the kitchen sink.

You'll get far better results with the bag in a reactor or even a small filter housing - just be sure to dump any filter media out each week else you'll get a rise in nitrates -- just like bioballs. I never had nitrates until I started using floss for detritus collection. Must be related!

Current Tank Info: New tank in progress....
conorwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2009, 09:28 PM   #380
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

Great Thread!

jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 09:33 PM   #381
JTL
Registered Member

I am battling high PO4. Is a phosban reactor and media still the way to lower it? I just recently setup my refugium with cheato so it is not at full strength yet.

JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 09:39 PM   #382
ser_renely
Registered Member

tag

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 12:43 AM   #383
jdieck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
I am battling high PO4. Is a phosban reactor and media still the way to lower it? I just recently setup my refugium with cheato so it is not at full strength yet.
Basically yes although it depends on your inputs. I dose vodka, hava a large refugium full of chaeto and still use the media as I tend to feed heavy.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
jdieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 01:42 AM   #384
Reefobsession
Moved On

Very interesting. Subscribed. I need a PO4 meter.

Reefobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 10:38 PM   #385
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefobsession View Post
Very interesting. Subscribed. I need a PO4 meter.
phosphates are difficult to measure. Alot of time algae is consuming nitrates and phosphates as soon as they are imported so you get a zero reading

go on the premise that if you have algae then you have nitrates and or phosphates.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2009, 11:54 PM   #386
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

I like the Elos test. Only use 2 drops of one solution, 2 drops of another, and the scale is easy to differentiate 0.01 vs 0.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 08:14 AM   #387
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
phosphates are difficult to measure. Alot of time algae is consuming nitrates and phosphates as soon as they are imported so you get a zero reading

go on the premise that if you have algae then you have nitrates and or phosphates.
Almost impossible really. not only is it being consumed but phosphate test kits only measure one type of phosphate so you really never know what you got. The other thing is you need a good test kit like hach or merck.

The only real thing testing will do is let you know if they are dropping. Another hting they are good for is testing your makeup water to see if phosphates are getting in that way. If phosphates are getting in that way you will never get phosphate under control.

Dave

shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 09:21 AM   #388
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Almost impossible really. not only is it being consumed but phosphate test kits only measure one type of phosphate so you really never know what you got. The other thing is you need a good test kit like hach or merck.

The only real thing testing will do is let you know if they are dropping. Another hting they are good for is testing your makeup water to see if phosphates are getting in that way. If phosphates are getting in that way you will never get phosphate under control.

Dave
+1
also if you don't have algae then I would not worry about measuring phosphates(unless in a sps dominant tank and the corals browning at the tips)

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2009, 09:44 PM   #389
sabien
Registered Member

Great thread. I'm going to buy one for my tank.

sabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 06:41 PM   #390
McSassy
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post

This is quite true!

Unread 03/18/2010, 10:01 PM   #391
elijaher
Registered Member

Bump nice thread

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 05:06 PM   #392
GOLFREEFER
Registered Member

What I don't understand is that if algae is using the P04 faster than we can test for it, then why does it still cause problems. If we stop introducing P04 then the algae shall die back, then rerelease it and the whole process starts over?

If you have algae but if you test it says 0, oh thats because the P04 is being used up by the algae. Oh really then why are my SPS still stunted, the algae all over the place should be taking up the P04 therefore not causing any problems.

GOLFREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 06:53 PM   #393
JonnyD91
Registered Member

phosphates might show 0 but what are the nitrates?

There are many, many other reasons besides P04 that will inhibit sps growth.

ALk, Mag, Cal for starters.

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
JonnyD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 07:47 PM   #394
GOLFREEFER
Registered Member

I am aware of all the usually (easily detected and remedied) parameters of keeping SPS, that is not what this thread is about. We are discussing phosphate being an issue with all other parameters being in line.

I am worried about phosphate and the conclusion that it hinders SPS growth, hence the use of GFO, which is what this thread is about.

Unread 04/04/2010, 08:28 PM   #395
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFREEFER View Post
I am aware of all the usually (easily detected and remedied) parameters of keeping SPS, that is not what this thread is about. We are discussing phosphate being an issue with all other parameters being in line.

I am worried about phosphate and the conclusion that it hinders SPS growth, hence the use of GFO, which is what this thread is about.
My point is there are many things (easily detected and remedied) that could also cause sps to not grow well. when you say "stunted", that doesnt really give any explination as to what the specific condition your sps are in. It may not actually be the P04 causing that particular problem. In any case sps does need some nitrate to feed on, if its competing with nusiance algae that very well could be part of the problem.

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 04/04/2010, 08:54 PM   #396
GOLFREEFER
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
In any case sps does need some nitrate to feed on, if its competing with nusiance algae that very well could be part of the problem.
This part of your reply was great, actually relevant and helpful thanks!

Unread 04/04/2010, 09:10 PM   #397
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFREEFER View Post
This part of your reply was great, actually relevant and helpful thanks!
np anytime. hit up the sps forum they got alot of great info there.

Unread 04/12/2011, 08:38 AM   #398
rperez915
Registered Member

This is a great thread with lots of info. Will now be purchasing a hanna meter from BRS soon.

rperez915 is offline   Reply With Quote