Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 10:03 PM   #1
CyberGuy
Registered Member

I want to set up the MOST AUTOMATED reef tank with the new up-to-date equipments

Hello folks. My reef tank recently crashed and I want to start all over. I will be getting a brand new 4'x2'x2' tank and would like to set up a 60-70% sps tank.

I have not kept up with the latest technology in the reef hobby and so my knowledge of the latest equipment is a little rusty.

My main goal now is to set up a really advanced tank. I would like it to be as AUTOMATED as much as possible.

I do not worry much about the cost. I realize that getting good reliable and advanced techs would cost a lot of money so I am prepare to pay.

So if any reef gurus out there that if you have a chance to start a reef tank from scratch in November of 2018 and would make it as automated as much as possible, what equipments would you buy?

Please provide the model of the equipments if possible....and a url link to buy them would be great.

At this point, I just want to set up the reef tank that I mainly just want to 1. feed the fish, 2. clean the glass, and 3. do water changes as appropriate.

Of course I would also have to do some periodic water testing and do auto top off but I want the latest tech to do the monitoring, warnings, dosing, auto lighting, back ups, etc....so that I can enjoy the tank without much stress.

Again, I am willing to pay....so please advice....thank you very much.

CyberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 11:59 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I'd run...

A couple Ecotech MP40QD powerheads.
Ecotech Vectra L1 return.
Radion LEDs, AI Leds, ATI T5, Or Radium 250w 20k metal halides on m80 ballast.
Calcium Reactor with masterflex feed pump and a two stage regulator with the aquarium plants carbon doser add on box.
I'd use an aquamedic kalkwasser reactor for top off fed by a masterflex peristaltic and dual float switches from autotopoff.com
Use an auto water changer.
Apex or GHL controller with salinity, orp, and all the fixins.
Royal exclusive skimmer
Nice set of media reactors.

Oh and hire a great maintenance company because no matter how many gadgets you put on the tank you still have to do maintenance.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 02:42 PM   #3
d-man
Registered Member

If you are in the LA area hire Jim stime. La fishguy.

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 12:58 PM   #4
sfdan
Registered Member

The equipment I have that makes life for my SPS tank easiest:

- Alkatronic. It tests Alkalinity 3x per day so I don't have to.
- Calcium reactor/peristaltic pump/high quality regulator. This system basically is set-it-and-forget-it, especially when paired with automatic alkalinity testing. To keep all my parameters locked in all I do is adjust the bubble rate of my regulator a couple times a month.

I'd also consider spending money on redundancy. Two heaters. Two return pumps. Battery backup for your powerheads. If you want to get really fancy, two or more separate circuits so if the GFCI trips on one of them it doesn't take down your whole tank. For me I consider part of having an automated tank is having a tank that is protected from all sorts of common failure points.

And of course you should have a controller running all of this. I'm quite happy with my Apex but there are other options.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 09:52 PM   #5
jamie1981
Registered Member

Why would you want to still have to clean the glass? lol Robo snail!

But sounds like a lot of equipment to maintain and keep calibrated. lol If you want low maintenance KISS and forgo all the fancy stuff.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 11:13 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you want automated then either apex or ghl. I personally prefer apex because apparently I don’t think like the Germans. Redundancy is critical, in as many places as possible.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 12:01 PM   #7
hottuna
Registered Member

"My main goal now is to set up a really advanced tank. I would like it to be as AUTOMATED as much as possible."
just because it has all the latest electronic gadgets hooked up to it -doesn't make it advanced...
automated is convenient...but no recipe for success either..
I'm afraid some people think they have to have all the latest and greatest stuff in order to have their tank be a success...or if the under the tank/sump area looks like a mini nuclear reactor their tank is somehow gonna do better..I also see a trend towards colored plumbing parts and different color acrylic sumps...All of that means Nothing...Keep it simple...automate to make it more enjoyable if you wish...but gadgets do not make a reef successful..

Unread 11/15/2018, 12:52 PM   #8
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Are you willing/able to "code" for the controller? If not, most of this conversation is moot.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

My tank is fully automated thus allowing me to spend all my time maintaining my automating equipment.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Daimyo68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdan View Post
The equipment I have that makes life for my SPS tank easiest:

- Alkatronic. It tests Alkalinity 3x per day so I don't have to.
- Calcium reactor/peristaltic pump/high quality regulator. This system basically is set-it-and-forget-it, especially when paired with automatic alkalinity testing. To keep all my parameters locked in all I do is adjust the bubble rate of my regulator a couple times a month.

I'd also consider spending money on redundancy. Two heaters. Two return pumps. Battery backup for your powerheads. If you want to get really fancy, two or more separate circuits so if the GFCI trips on one of them it doesn't take down your whole tank. For me I consider part of having an automated tank is having a tank that is protected from all sorts of common failure points.

And of course you should have a controller running all of this. I'm quite happy with my Apex but there are other options.
That Alkatronic is a pretty nice piece of equipment.

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 12:43 PM   #11
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb2 View Post
My tank is fully automated thus allowing me to spend all my time maintaining my automating equipment.

FB
haha true story! Not just in reefing but everything. The more automated and complicated it is, the more on it can break

xsentrixsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

I'd recommend the Neptune Apex with a DOS and if you're feeling frisky, add the Trident when it comes out.

I have the same setup (minus the trident) and about once a month, I walk downstairs, flip a valve, add some salt and I'm done until the next month. Water changes are automatic, as is ATO. I still have to test and feed the fish, but I'm seriously considering upgrading my Apex to the newer model so I can add the Trident when it is available.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote