Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2016, 07:57 PM   #76
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

What is CUC?

Lilbitreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2016, 07:58 PM   #77
leviburns89
Registered Member

"Clean up crew" this is your hermits and snails, nd the like.

There is a lot of debate on the six needed. But I personally recommend starting small.

I had a ton of algae in my 55. So I added 10 Scarlett hermits (the only hermit that is truly reef safe).

After a couple week, only 6 remain. But it's just the right amount to keep algae at bay, and also keep enough algae to feed them.

leviburns89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2016, 08:00 PM   #78
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

Ah I see, so the red leg ones not the blue leg ones? I added a nisserius snail, and emerald crab and peppermint shrimp I have not seen them since I added them. No carcasess so I am assuming they are alive.

Unread 03/29/2016, 08:03 PM   #79
leviburns89
Registered Member

Also, if it is coming from its mouth, it might be it's feeding aperatus. Don't pull on it lol.

Some corals, spew their guts to digest food in the water coloumn. It can look like a hair, or tongue that waves in the water.

My 1 inch mushroom has a 3 inch "tentacle" that it spits out when food is in the water. Even my hand in the water makes it think there is food present.

Unless it starts to take over, don't freak out. And even if it does start to take over the tank, just be comforted that there is a remedy, and we are always here to help.

Unread 03/29/2016, 08:04 PM   #80
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

Well I hope I didn't just kill it. I stopped once I saw the black appearing. It seems to have lost it's color. yup mouth is starting to turn black...I guess we'll see in a couple says.

Unread 03/29/2016, 08:06 PM   #81
leviburns89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbitreefer View Post
Ah I see, so the red leg ones not the blue leg ones? I added a nisserius snail, and emerald crab and peppermint shrimp I have not seen them since I added them. No carcasess so I am assuming they are alive.
Yes, the crabs can become a problem, if they run out of food, they can turn to corals and even fish for food.

The nass. snails are always welcome, as long as the sandbed has enough food to feed them. If you just have a couple, I think you should be fine.

Some people add like 10 snails, 20 hermits, and 20 micro starfish to begin with. And IMO that's just asking for problems. They will run out of food.

My hermits took 2 days to completely clean a green tank into a white tank

And Scarlets are red legs, green/yellow eyes. That's how you know them apart.

Vivid has them 10 for 24.99. Good deal.

Unread 03/29/2016, 08:12 PM   #82
leviburns89
Registered Member

Haha well, sometimes knowledge comes at a price. Just know that people are here to help. And I'm subscribed to your thread, so any questions you have, just give me a little bit, and I will research and respond.

Unread 03/29/2016, 08:13 PM   #83
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

Thanks

Unread 04/04/2016, 08:23 PM   #84
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

Unread 04/04/2016, 08:23 PM   #85
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/1Jz3Z5h1S_4
Here is a video of my setup

Unread 04/05/2016, 04:01 PM   #86
leviburns89
Registered Member

Noticed you aren't running your brs reactors at full. Reason?

I have been wondering if I can get away with half canisters. But don't want to take the risk because a full can has been working fine

Unread 04/05/2016, 05:27 PM   #87
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

The carbon I used the BRS calculator and it said to only add 3/4 I have the ROX 8.0 stuff so it doesn't require a lot. I am using the Red sea mature kit and you are not supposed to be using any phosphate reducers until you are done with the kit.

Unread 04/05/2016, 08:14 PM   #88
leviburns89
Registered Member

I agree, don't use phosphate reduction unless it's a problem.

I guess I should have looked at the carbon quantity Calc sooner lol. I've been running a full reactor. Have to say tho, it definitely pulls pretty much everything out.

And rox 0.8 is the only way to go, a far superior product. If you haven't already found out, rox 0.8 is a protected product, and regardless of who sells it, with whatever sticker, it's all the same.

So the cheap rox is the same exact product as the expensive one. So get the cheap stuff and save like $100 a year. Doesn't seem like much, but that is a really nice coral price

Unread 04/05/2016, 08:16 PM   #89
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

Is there a cheaper place than brs?

Unread 04/05/2016, 08:27 PM   #90
leviburns89
Registered Member

Amazon, dr. Foster's and smith, marineland. They all offer rox 0.8 with their own sticker, and usually is about $5 cheaper. If you add in amazons free shipping deal, that's like $12 total savings.

Dr. Foster's n smith also runs deals all the time. Key being, just keep your eyes open, and even if you don't need it, and it's on sale, buy it. You will need it eventually, and the stuff doesn't go bad.

So a dollar saved, is a dollar earned.

I love BRS, I know several of their guys personally, and even shop at the same LFS they do, but certain products they have, can be found cheaper elsewhere. They actually aren't doing so hot this year due to amazon taking over so many products.

And once 2 hour shipping gets implemented in most states, say goodbye to brs and most LFS. Amazon is just now starting to offer livestock, mostly FW, but still, free shipping with 2 hour delivery?? They kind turned into the walmart of online

Unread 04/05/2016, 08:58 PM   #91
fishinthewall
Registered Member

Hows that coral you tugged on?

fishinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2016, 05:59 AM   #92
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

that mushroom coral seems to be doing ok. Not dead yet, he has moved around a bit but pretty much stayed in the same play. There isn't so much tissue sticking out any more. I think the lights are getting to strong for it. It used to be a dark blue and teal color and now it seems to be a really light teal all around with a couple dark spots. He is opened up. He has been changing colors before I tugged on him so I think that is a different issue. I just need to maybe put him somewhere with more shade.

Unread 04/06/2016, 06:01 AM   #93
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

I like BRS and I have only bought 1 or 2 items from amazon and that was mainly cause brs didn't have them. I like amazon but I won't go there all the time only for school books and when I can't find something anywhere else. So far I have been pretty happy with BRS.

Unread 04/06/2016, 10:58 AM   #94
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

I got a tailspot blend last night. He is pretty cook just perches and hangs out. Anyone got one of these?

Unread 04/12/2016, 10:12 AM   #95
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

So here are some updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/12/2016, 05:00 PM   #96
leviburns89
Registered Member

That shelf is amazing. Everything looks great so far. Rock is showing color which means you are doing something right.

Where are you at on a CUC?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Unread 04/12/2016, 05:01 PM   #97
leviburns89
Registered Member

Also the arch on the left island is sweet.

Seriously nice looking tank thus far

Unread 04/12/2016, 06:04 PM   #98
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

BRS really came through when I ordered my rock. I gave them like a 10 page paper (over exaggerating) on what type of scape I was trying to make.

Unread 04/12/2016, 06:20 PM   #99
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

CUC: nessarius snail, 1 blue leg hermit, i sand sifting blend, 1 tail spot blennie, scopes tang eats algae (not sure if he is part of CUC), Halloween crab
What else should I get?
That cave on the left has about 3 entrances that you can't see. a front door, and three back doors I always see my scopas swim behind the work and then suddenly he is in the cave.

What is in my tank now:
Fish: Scopas tang, black oscelaris, fire clownfish, tailspot blennie, sandsifting goby,
Corals: assorted zoanthids, flower pot coral, pavona, 3 random mushrooms.
any thoughts as to what to add next? I don't want to add too many cleaner uppers and then have them die off when there is no food.

Unread 04/12/2016, 07:22 PM   #100
leviburns89
Registered Member

I would highly advise to switch out all hermits and crabs for scarlet reef hermits.

They don't bug corals, the don't grow big, they eat exclusively algea. Honestly I don't know why they aren't the only option. Probably because people wouldn't buy 7 other things just to purchase this one amazing animal.

If you give them plenty of empty shells, they won't bug you snails either, they are the best cuc imaginable.