Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Blazer88
Premium Member

Going on vacation for a week...trust Ehiem auto feeder?

I normally pay someone to stop by my house every few days and feed while I am on vacation. I am thinking I can just get the Eheim auto feeder and feed pellets once a day and not worry about it. My ATO has been running flawless for a few years now so I'm not worried about that (I'll just use a larger tub for the RO water). I've been on multiple vacations and none of my equipment has ever had a problem in the past and I think it should do just fine. Should I just get an auto feeder and not worry about paying someone to stop by? Is the Ehiem the best option?

Blazer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Blazer88
Premium Member

I'm leaving tomorrow, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Unread 06/07/2007, 02:29 PM   #3
thelostrican
I hate to post

i use a rena auto feeder ands its been good, however i have someone come in everyother day...

Current Tank Info: 120 long tank...that looks like an investment bank....
thelostrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 03:09 PM   #4
adambaron
Registered Member

I used the ehiem and it worked fine.

-Douglas Adams

Current Tank Info: 180 reef, 55gal african cichlid
adambaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 03:16 PM   #5
rbursek
Moved On

I am the beliver of having someone stop in, neighbor, friend, ect, if a heater sticks on, ect, ect, I have been told by many that an estabilished tank can go for q week without feeding fish food, let them live off the rock.
Bob

rbursek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 03:17 PM   #6
-=DieselDave=-
King of the brown sticks

I use Ehiem auto feeder it works great for flake food I had to mod mine with tape for pellets, You can have it feed up to 4 time per day, they are built well.

Current Tank Info: Elos System 100, Bubble King Mini160,.
-=DieselDave=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 03:33 PM   #7
greenbean36191
Premium Member

I don't even bother with feeding unless I'm going to be gone for more than two weeks. Fish don't need 3 meals a day and they're perfectly capable of finding food on their own when they are hungry. An autofeeder is just another thing to malfunction.

I learned my lesson once when I put an autofeeder on the tank and while I was gone the power went out for a few hours, so the lights and the autofeeder were out of sync when the power came back. The feeder worked perfectly but it was feeding the tank when the lights were off and no one was up to eat it. I came back to a huge mess.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up
greenbean36191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Blazer88
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Interesting point about not needing a feeder. Can I really go a week without any feeding? I considered the Ehiem feeder since it's battery operated so I don't have to worry about power outages, I'm just hoping it will work with spectrum pellets. I may just get the feeder (or skip it) and ask my neighbor (who has a freshwater tank and understands that fish aren't supposed to float) to stop by every other day or so and just make sure the tank has water in it and things are still alive. My tank has been running for two years and I'm confident my ATO functions properly and my equipment won't malfunction. I also have my heater on a Ranco controller so I'm not worried about it sticking.

Unread 06/08/2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Blazer88
Premium Member

Ok, I got the Eheim auto feeder and I can't seem to figure it out. I put the batteries in and nothing happens. Is there a on/off switch somewhere? Also, -=DieselDave=-, why and how did you mod it for pellets?

Unread 06/08/2007, 06:55 AM   #10
samtheman
Moved On

I feed with a feeder all the time. It is more consistant than I am and if you run it all the time, you don't worry being gone for a few days.

samtheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 07:49 AM   #11
Blazer88
Premium Member

Do you just have to put batteries in it to turn it on? I think I may have a dead unit. Not off to a good start!

Unread 06/08/2007, 07:49 AM   #12
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I use a eheim feedair and I love it. I use it all the time to make sure my fish get fed multiple times every day (I feed when I'm home, and turn on/off preset times later in the day). I go away for one or two weeks and everything is fine, just change the batteries before you go. If you put pellets in it, the hopper is too heavy. I went to a craft store and got some sticky velcro and velcro'd it to my center brace (I believe that is the "modification" he was talking about). To a point I agree with greenbean... angelfish, butterflies, tangs, they all will find food (they are grazers)... open water fish will not be able to find as much. I would certianly not be comfortable leaving my four anthias for a week without food.

I got mine a while ago so I dont remember about it starting. Obvious step is to try different batteries, make sure you have them facing correctly, read the directions.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Blazer88
Premium Member

Thanks for clarifying how and why it needs to be modded for pellets. I tried different batteries and put them in every configuration and it still doesn't turn on. Hopefully the LFS has a replacement as I'm leaving this afternoon.

Unread 06/08/2007, 08:04 AM   #14
sabbath
Premium Member

I use a feeder when I'm at my cabin most every weekend vac... Works for me. I don't want my fish getting so hungry that they are more apt start to checking out the corals.
Using battery powered with good batts.

sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 08:34 AM   #15
Blazer88
Premium Member

I'm glad to hear people have had good experiences with this feeder. I finally got mine to turn on by removing the screws in the back. I'm guessing the cover was pinching a wire or something. I'll keep it on all day to make sure everything will work properly. Thanks for everyones help!

Unread 06/08/2007, 10:09 AM   #16
corals b 4 bills
Registered Member

Whenever I use flake food I watch as it goes straight into the overflow, feeders can malfunction like anything else (like others stated during power outages), get your neighbor to check on it.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon Bio Cube, HQI 150 watt Nanotuner~Vortech MP10W ES~Arctica Chiller~AC II~Tunze Osmolator ATO~ Tunze 9002 skimmer W/In Tank Cup~ Korallin Reactor W/PH Monitor~ Korallin Denitrator~APC Back-up~Phosban/Carbon Reactor.
corals b 4 bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 11:07 AM   #17
Jimbo327
Registered Member

I've used it before and it works. I usually crush the flakes and pellets, and feed it once a day when I'm gone on vacation. No problems.

Current Tank Info: 6gal JBJ NanoCube, DIY LED Mod, 1/15 JBJ Chiller, Tunze Osmolator, Homemade Kalkwasser Chamber
Jimbo327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 11:15 AM   #18
Village Idiot
Registered Member

Eheim has a new auto feeder that just came out...it can hold 2 types of food and no mods are needed for pellets. Here's a link: Eheim Feeder

Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 11:31 AM   #19
piercho
Registered Member

I just noticed the new Eheim 2-channel screw feeder a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if anyone using it? Looks like a very precise way to feed different mixes of food.

Current Tank Info: 65G reef shut down 2007. 25G planted.
piercho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 12:22 PM   #20
InvertLover
Registered Member

power would still be a problem, unless your light timers are battery operated as well. ( or use a external clock that doesn't reset or stop counting when the power is out )

Current Tank Info: Two tank system, one 30 gal and one 10 gal ( to become a filterfeeder tank), with sump.
InvertLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Village Idiot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InvertLover
power would still be a problem, unless your light timers are battery operated as well. ( or use a external clock that doesn't reset or stop counting when the power is out )
Unless your tank is in a room with no windows, I don't see the big deal in having the feeder feeding when the lights are off. There's plenty of ambient light in the room where my tank is located...plenty for the fish to find the food.

Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote