Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2018, 09:28 AM   #1
AquaAdam
Registered Member

Question Good heater

I've got a 60 gal. cube with a 15 gal sump. I've been through a few of the eheim heaters in the past few years and am tired of replacing them. Whats a desecent quality heater I can buy? my budget will be around $100+

AquaAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 09:39 AM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

Do you have a controller? If so, I like the 300 watt Finnex titanium heating tubes. They don’t have their own thermostat, so a controller will be necessary. If you’re looking for an integrated unit, I also like the Aqueon Pro heaters... I think the 200 watt version would suffice for your tank size.

All heaters though, whether it be just the heating element or integrated unit should have an independent 3rd party controller for redundancy, be it a full controller like an Apex or just a temperature controller, like a Ranco.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 09:55 AM   #3
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
Do you have a controller? If so, I like the 300 watt Finnex titanium heating tubes. They don’t have their own thermostat, so a controller will be necessary. If you’re looking for an integrated unit, I also like the Aqueon Pro heaters... I think the 200 watt version would suffice for your tank size.

All heaters though, whether it be just the heating element or integrated unit should have an independent 3rd party controller for redundancy, be it a full controller like an Apex or just a temperature controller, like a Ranco.

I use a ranco and Apex to control my heating. Never to much redundancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 11:36 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

They all fail..
In general Eheim Jager is commonly recommended but they fail too..

What I always recommend is to never fully submerse them (do not put the knob/temp control part under water even if they state fully submersible..
Its that joint from glass tube to plastic top/cap/dial that can/will fail..

There is not a single brand or model that has not/will not fail..

Unread 11/09/2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
They all fail..

What I always recommend is to never fully submerse them (do not put the knob/temp control part under water even if they state fully submersible..

I have a hand full of Eheim Jagers most recent is 1 year, oldest is more than 10, none of mine has failed........yet.....but absolutely I support controller for heater.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 11:49 PM   #6
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
They all fail..

In the past 40 years, I have lost more fish to stuck heaters than every other reason combined. Ebo jagers were the only reliable heaters.

I was telling this to my step daughter 20 years ago when she told me the heater in her tank simply said "Jagar", not "Ebo Jagar." Sure enough, it failed.

Why in hell did they stop making the only reliable heater on the market?

I must concur with mcgyvr. With every word he said. And it's a damn shame, too, since Ebo jagers really were pretty much perfect.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 04:44 PM   #7
ispookie666
Registered Member

Schego titanium heaters on this side of the pond along with a temp controller

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ispookie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 06:44 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I found a BNIB Ebo Jager at Goodwill, it is a green model.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 09:13 AM   #9
heritage
Registered Member

if you don't have a controller then I would recommend the finnex with digital controller.

heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 09:48 AM   #10
West1
Registered Member

I've never heard of keeping the top part of a Ebo Jager out of water. I don't understand the logic behind this.

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 01:16 AM   #11
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
I found a BNIB Ebo Jager at Goodwill, it is a green model.
I wish I could. I'd kill for one

Unread 11/13/2018, 01:18 AM   #12
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1 View Post
I've never heard of keeping the top part of a Ebo Jager out of water. I don't understand the logic behind this.
A friend of mine began doing that with all submersibles. He reasoned that was where leaks began, so he kept that part out of the water.

Unread 11/13/2018, 09:01 AM   #13
West1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
A friend of mine began doing that with all submersibles. He reasoned that was where leaks began, so he kept that part out of the water.
Interesting. Unfortunately my sump level is not deep enough to place the heater vertical.

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 11:13 AM   #14
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1 View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately my sump level is not deep enough to place the heater vertical.
Angle it.

Unread 11/13/2018, 11:31 AM   #15
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I've got the 10yr old, analog version of this one... been very happy with it, but no idea if the current models are as good.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 11:09 PM   #16
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I had ViaAquas in a customer's cichlid tank. The whole tanks was wiped out - we're talking several hundred dollars worth of Africans. I didn't see them stick, but they would not work afterward. It was a crazy, borderline psycho customer to boot, one I always wanted to quit but paid me too much to do so. She looked like one of those old "Troll" dolls with the pig face and frizzy hair. I called her "Pig-face troll doll."

When they first came out, I thought they were the answer to my prayers, but I had ALL the titanium heaters go bad, and I had a good number of them.

Unread 11/14/2018, 12:07 PM   #17
NaasReefer
Registered Member

+1 on the controller, I got one on amazon last year and I've never looked back. Since then my temperature hasn't varied by more than a degree. My heater has a built in thermostat but I have it set to higher than my controller so my controller does all the work.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Mixed Reef tank
NaasReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 12:40 PM   #18
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaasReefer View Post
+1 on the controller, I got one on amazon last year and I've never looked back. Since then my temperature hasn't varied by more than a degree. My heater has a built in thermostat but I have it set to higher than my controller so my controller does all the work.
Not to hijack the thread too much.. is there a "best" way to setup a heater/controller combo?

Should the heater thermostat do most of the work and the controller kick in only if the heater malfunctions... or should the controller do most of the work more or less ignoring the heater thermostat?

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
Unread 11/14/2018, 01:38 PM   #19
NaasReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonpt View Post
Not to hijack the thread too much.. is there a "best" way to setup a heater/controller combo?

Should the heater thermostat do most of the work and the controller kick in only if the heater malfunctions... or should the controller do most of the work more or less ignoring the heater thermostat?
Not sure if either way could be described as best but I do the second way you mentioned. I have my controller set to 25.5 degrees celcius and my heater is set to 30. When my controller reads a temperature of 25.2 it turns on the heater and when it reads 25.5 again it turns off the heater. The reason why I have my heater set so high is that it is in the sump so it's internal thermostat is reading the sump temperature whereas my controller temp probe is in my display and therefore keeping the display at my set temperature. My controller also sounds an audible alarm if the temperature goes down to 24.0 or up to 27.0

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Mixed Reef tank
NaasReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 10:17 PM   #20
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:

The controller should do the work - otherwise it's a waste of money. Heater thermostats are what go bad, I believe because of humidity. If the controller is the main on/off switch, the heater thermostat is never or seldom used, and therefore will not stick on.

Unread 11/15/2018, 06:14 AM   #21
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

one that is controlled by a reefkeeper or Apex that way when it fails (they always fail on) it won't matter.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 09:39 AM   #22
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
The controller should do the work - otherwise it's a waste of money. Heater thermostats are what go bad, I believe because of humidity. If the controller is the main on/off switch, the heater thermostat is never or seldom used, and therefore will not stick on.
How is it a waste of money? It's still turning off the outlet if the heater fails/sticks on. Isn't that the whole point of the controller?

I'd rather have the heater fail than the outlet/controller, so I've got mine setup so the heater does the work and the controller only intervenes if there's a problem (turns the outlet off and sounds alarm if temp gets too high, sounds an alarm if the temp gets too low).

Unread 11/15/2018, 02:37 PM   #23
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
How is it a waste of money? It's still turning off the outlet if the heater fails/sticks on. Isn't that the whole point of the controller?

I'd rather have the heater fail than the outlet/controller, so I've got mine setup so the heater does the work and the controller only intervenes if there's a problem (turns the outlet off and sounds alarm if temp gets too high, sounds an alarm if the temp gets too low).
I guess I was thinking that the less a heater thermostat kicks on and off, the more likely it is to fail, so the whole idea of a controller is to bypass the ****-poor heater thermostat. But in retrospect I guess it's moot point.

Unread 11/15/2018, 02:52 PM   #24
smatter
Registered Member

I miss green Ebos

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 03:14 PM   #25
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatter View Post
I miss green Ebos
I still have a few, by they are not Ebo JAEGERS They are still pretty darn good.