Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2014, 03:16 PM   #51
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYbIrD1969 View Post
Here is an example. It is impossible to capture its true character because the grain actually moves like a 3-D image as you change your angle of vision.
My light box has 3 different light sources (not including flash) and most woods I have to experiment with different light combos to get the grain to POP. Some look best under so little light, I am shooting them at over 1 second SS and that's still stopped way down. The camera is calling for even slower.

Boy, the turn this thread has taken is rather "Unexpected" hehe!
Dang it, I KNEW that was you Jay! Yet another forum we run in to each other on

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 04:47 PM   #52
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Beautiful box Jay! Is that a dragon fly nymph?
!
Thanks! Stonefly nymph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothybugs View Post
Dang it, I KNEW that was you Jay! Yet another forum we run in to each other on
Haha! Revealist thy identity!!

JaYbIrD1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 04:51 PM   #53
Cujo13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
lol, I'm still working my way towards that. One of my biggest issues is that I have a habit of taking photos in less than ideal situations, like when the sun is full blast causing more than just ugly shadows.

Fill your pain. In nature photography a few hours at sunrise and a few hours at sunset. Except in winter, lower sun equals longer shooting days. But it gets cold.

Northern Pintail 7D, iso:200, f/4, 1/3200, 500mm lens handheld.
Tern 7D, iso:200, f/5.6, 1/2500, 100-400 lens at 400mm

I prefer the 7D over my 5DIII for nature because of the crop value...get a little closer.

I gotta figure out how to post here without having it an attachment.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6735a.jpg (29.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_8436a.jpg (29.7 KB, 20 views)
Unread 08/06/2014, 05:01 PM   #54
NTP66
Registered Member

Very nice. Most of my "nature" photography is done at the various zoos and aquariums that we visit, with the minor exception of the few species of birds I see in my backyard. I told my wide that I wanted to head out to the west Maui rainforest at sunrise when we where there this past winter, and the look she gave me was enough to change that to "sometime in the afternoon", lol.

As for posting photos, if you sign up and use Flickr (free), they give you the forum code to copy and paste directly into here so that pictures show up like everyone else's.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Cujo13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
Very nice. Most of my "nature" photography is done at the various zoos and aquariums that we visit, with the minor exception of the few species of birds I see in my backyard. I told my wide that I wanted to head out to the west Maui rainforest at sunrise when we where there this past winter, and the look she gave me was enough to change that to "sometime in the afternoon", lol.

As for posting photos, if you sign up and use Flickr (free), they give you the forum code to copy and paste directly into here so that pictures show up like everyone else's.
Thank you.

Unread 08/06/2014, 10:04 PM   #56
xtm
Registered Member

Wonder if we can setup a poll after the entries have been posted and have everyone vote on the entries. Is that possible? I think that would make the "contest" more dynamic since everyone gets involved and will have a chance to vote and critique. Everytime a new entry is posted, the OP edits the poll and adds the new entry.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2014, 10:18 PM   #57
xtm
Registered Member

I should've entered this. Unexpected landing right next to the mall!

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 06:30 AM   #58
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtm View Post
Everytime a new entry is posted, the OP edits the poll and adds the new entry.
That would require Moderation. That's the reason I set it up the way I did. I do like having a discussion after the entries have been posted, and kind of wanted that from the beginning. One of the other rules was photos had to be taken during the week prior to posting. This requires more thought. Just looking back through old pics is easy.

Think about it though. If we want to change things up, I'm still game. I've just been having fun with it. If enough people get involved, maybe we can take this beyond just the summer.

Unread 08/07/2014, 06:47 AM   #59
NTP66
Registered Member

I, for one, would like to see this continue full-time.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
Unread 08/07/2014, 07:37 AM   #60
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
If we want to change things up, I'm still game. I've just been having fun with it.
More than once I've imagined Jesse cackling with glee as his "contest" has gained traction and discussion has ensued. Not pretty...

I find the "must be a fresh pic" rule both annoying and a good thing. It would be easier to repurpose / redeploy an old image than to shoot something fresh. However, having to contemplate the theme, determine a subject, shoot and then process it is an important part of the exercise. And I'd speculate it levels the playing field a tad too. It's not about whipping out the greatest pic one has ever been lucky enough to capture over and over, but "what can you do with...".

The variety of themes has been interesting for me. I am somewhat surprised by how large an impact on my desire to shoot the topic has. Some I find compelling and want to shoot, and others not so much to not at all. Anyone else experience that?

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 07:40 AM   #61
NTP66
Registered Member

I've stuck to the "new photo only" rule for that very reason - I had some outstanding (IMO, at least) shots from previous vacations that I would have felt guilty about using.

I also agree, the variety has been terrific. And frustrating, at times - which is a good thing for me. Thinking outside of the box in this realm of art is a process for sure.

Unread 08/07/2014, 09:20 AM   #62
Misled
RC Mod

The last one was frustrating for me. That's why I did a half-arsed photoshop job. It took all of about 5 minutes, but I couldn't get to do the one I wanted.
We'll see what happens.

Unread 08/08/2014, 06:56 PM   #63
Misled
RC Mod

"Music" picture thread