Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2019, 03:40 PM   #1
DiverDave32
Registered Member

Final attempt - Tank Reboot

So here is the story, I have been fighting dinos for over 1 year with no success. I have:

1) Tried going low nutrients ( daily 2% water changes, GFO)
2) Tried dosing H2O2
3) Tried going dirty
4) Did the lights out method
5) Did a fluconazole treatment (mostly for hair algae that I had at one point as I do now)
6) Removed sand bed and went bare bottom
7) Reduced photo period
8) Added macro Algae
9) The final or almost final straw was to try Dino-X. While this helped reduced my Dinos slightly, it almost completely killed all by a few polyps of zoas.

My parameters are typically PO4 = 0 to 0.04, No3 = 20-30, Sp Gr 1.025, Alk 9 dkh, CaCl2 420 ppm.

After losing my corals, not liking the look of the bare bottom and seeing no light at the end of the tunnel, I have decided that I am going to do a tank reset and if this doesn't work, I'll get a fish screen saver and go dive with them in the wild.

I will be transferring my Wrasse, small yellow tang, cardinalfish, 3 clown fish, 2 chromis and 1 anthias to my quarantine tank that is afflicted with the dinos but will hold the fish while I do the reset.

Here is my plan:

1) Transfer fish to QT and discard all macro algae
2) Drain main tank (110g)
3) rinse rock in high pressure water and scrub
4) Soak rock in 25/75 bleach/ H20 mix and leave for three days with powerhead
5) Rince rock
6) Soak rock in 10/90 Muriatic acid/H2O
7) Rince rock
8) dry rock for 4 weeks
9) During this time, I will run the tank with water and bleach to ensure everything is dead in the system
10) Purchase sand, place rock, fill tank and start cycling process (I'll add a shrimp)
11) After cycle is done, I'll transfer livestock back but will rinse them in a separate bucket of clean saltwater to reduce the risk of dinos making their way into the system.

At this point, I will watch closely the water parameters and hopefully by Dino free

Anything I am missing? In order to reintroduce biodiversity into the tank should I just purchase some live rock from a local reefer or is their another safer method? I do not want to risk introducing dinos back into the tank.

Also, if my last 2 corals survive, would a coral rinse work or I am better discarding them. Same goes for the few remaining snails in my QT, what can I do to reintroduce them without risking things.

Thanks for your input. If this doesn't work, I think I'll be posting a for sale add.

Dave

DiverDave32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2019, 04:48 PM   #2
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Dino's are the easiest and first thing to go away when you have enough export. Having low phospate, and high nitrate, says that your export was low and your rocks were absorbing phosphate.

What is the situation of the tank now?