Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/29/2010, 10:13 PM   #2251
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidbeam View Post
Very sweet build.
Lucidbeam, thank you. Welcome to the group.

Peter

Unread 05/29/2010, 10:28 PM   #2252
Antonais1391
Registered Member

Nine ball if you'd like i could send you bonsai techniques I and II they are incredible books, my coppies are well used though haha but i think they are out of print and a tad difficult to get a hold of by John Naka, he recently passed away but his wealth of information remains in the books. and his style is very unique. you can learn alot about growing art forms from these books , i know ive carried over a lot of what i know from Bonsai into reefing. im shure your wife would enjoy them as well haha

Current Tank Info: 75g display 90g system, x2 14k 250w phoenix DE MH, vertex IN-80 skimmer.
Unread 05/30/2010, 04:53 AM   #2253
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Pieter van Suijlekom
Peter, you're keeping us in suspense!

As a note on Pieter's tank: it is currently being completely redecorated. In the pictures you can see the process. I have included a picture in which I am visible, as to show how big the tank and the structures actually are. The tank isn't finished yet, but it is improving very well. I hope this news doesn't interfere with your plans

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.jpg (45.7 KB, 992 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1351.jpg (45.6 KB, 984 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1352.jpg (61.9 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (69.4 KB, 980 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.jpg (46.6 KB, 955 views)
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:08 AM   #2254
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Quote:
Artur, thank you for your support. I agree very much with your suggestion for Bonsai. Personally I don't think it matters whether the style is managed in a nano tank or not. We need a best example to consider. Hopefully someone who defines the style.

Peter
Bonsai would be very interesting. I would reccomend not putting it next to Cloud montain because the two do look slightly the similar. The contrast/impact wouldn't be as great.

Crazy4acros has a very nice bonsai tank. Here's the link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...nsai+aquascape

Unread 05/30/2010, 08:01 AM   #2255
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually Mr. Wilson (I think I am now going to refer to you in this forum as Mr. Wilson all the time as I think I have misspelled your first name too many times!!!....for that I apologize), I think a book is long overdue and now might be the time to do it. You are right, its either "Fish Tanks for Dummies", or "Empirical Studies on the Transplanted Lionfish and its Impact on the Caribbean Marine Ecology".

The discipline that Chingchai followed in his build should be written up. I know its difficult to encourage anyone to wade through a couple of hundred pages to benefit from the experience and process as it gets enunciated in a typical forum format. There is a huge benefit to encourage and even discover a formal process that minimizes risk of failure and greatly enhances the likelihood of achieving a desired managed outcome. I have to admire the majority of members, and even silent lurkers who are here just to learn. What a powerful asset to this hobby when this culture is the dominant one that holds it together. OK OK there are one or two voyeurs out there but I will let you dwell on that point. Just add my voice to the growing chorus of support for a book about this hobby that carries current real world experience with no other agenda other that to help improve the statistics for success and enjoyment for our efforts.

The time is now Mr. Wilson....the time is now.

Peter
That's a good idea peter. Write the book, I'll buy the first copy even though i've been here since day 2. I think it might also be good for Chingchai and others that have very large successful reef tanks. It would definitely be a great deal of good information and experience without seeing the intermediate posts from the community.

Although, if you do decide to write a book, going back through this thread would probably be very beneficial.
Rob

Unread 05/30/2010, 09:45 AM   #2256
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu View Post
Peter, you're keeping us in suspense!

As a note on Pieter's tank: it is currently being completely redecorated. In the pictures you can see the process. I have included a picture in which I am visible, as to show how big the tank and the structures actually are. The tank isn't finished yet, but it is improving very well. I hope this news doesn't interfere with your plans
Tanu, thank you very much. I was unaware that Pieter had decided to change his archetecture. It is quite beautiful. Many aspects of this build closely resemble Chingchai's cloud mountain. There's even a strong hint of Bonsai. Fabulous use of open spaces. Much more 3 dimensional.

This makes my choice very difficult indeed........... WOW, What an impressive aquascape!

Peter

Unread 05/30/2010, 10:09 AM   #2257
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I have included a picture in which I am visible, as to show how big the tank and the structures actually are.
You always here about how the Netherlands have such progressive labour policies, but in reality the workers are caged like monkeys and trained to stack rocks precariously

Unread 05/30/2010, 10:18 AM   #2258
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangodude View Post
Bonsai would be very interesting. I would reccomend not putting it next to Cloud montain because the two do look slightly the similar. The contrast/impact wouldn't be as great.

Crazy4acros has a very nice bonsai tank. Here's the link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...nsai+aquascape
I remember this build.........it was in my opinion one of the best if not the best representation of the Bonsai style on Reef Central. There are many other aspects of this build which are appealing as well. Putting the frag tank on rails to make it as available and appealing as the main display tank is worthy of note. This tank makes my point that you don't have to have a thousand gallon tank to make a huge impact. If my tank achieves this kind of balance, I will be thankful and proud of the result.

Let's throw Crazy4acros into the mix............

Peter

Unread 05/30/2010, 10:24 AM   #2259
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
That's a good idea peter. Write the book, I'll buy the first copy even though i've been here since day 2. I think it might also be good for Chingchai and others that have very large successful reef tanks. It would definitely be a great deal of good information and experience without seeing the intermediate posts from the community.

Although, if you do decide to write a book, going back through this thread would probably be very beneficial.
Rob
No Rob, Mr. Wilson is going to write the book. He is the best equiped in every sense to get the job done and well I might add!!! So Mr. Wilson you now have two pre-orders for your new book. When can we expect delivery????

Peter

Unread 05/30/2010, 10:25 AM   #2260
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Tanu, thank you very much. I was unaware that Pieter had decided to change his archetecture. It is quite beautiful. Many aspects of this build closely resemble Chingchai's cloud mountain. There's even a strong hint of Bonsai. Fabulous use of open spaces. Much more 3 dimensional.

This makes my choice very difficult indeed........... WOW, What an impressive aquascape!

Peter
I will show this thread to Pieter, I'm sure he'll be honoured! If I have time this week, I will drive by Pieter to take some new pictures, I haven't seen the progress of this week yet. I have the feeling your project will turn out very impressive, really looking forward to updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
You always here about how the Netherlands have such progressive labour policies, but in reality the workers are caged like monkeys and trained to stack rocks precariously
As a large part of our country is below sealevel, we of course don't have a choice! If I would tell that my actual job is teaching biology on a high school, our labour policies would appear even more progressive, I assume

Unread 05/30/2010, 11:28 AM   #2261
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
As a large part of our country is below sealevel, we of course don't have a choice! If I would tell that my actual job is teaching biology on a high school, our labour policies would appear even more progressive, I assume
Yes, very hands on for a biology teacher. You certainly aren't afraid of getting your feet wet. In Canada we shave the worker's heads and take their shoes away before we lock them in the tanks. It makes it harder for them to escape and easier to spot in the general population for recapture. We use smaller tanks to keep the males away from the females

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1727.jpg (59.3 KB, 593 views)
Unread 05/30/2010, 11:34 AM   #2262
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
No Rob, Mr. Wilson is going to write the book. He is the best equiped in every sense to get the job done and well I might add!!! So Mr. Wilson you now have two pre-orders for your new book. When can we expect delivery????

Peter
I just have to get a new ribbon for my Underwood, a smoking jacket, and a big dog to lay at my feet.

Unread 05/30/2010, 12:07 PM   #2263
Padrino
Registered Member

oh i can put that on my credit card..... lets get started

Unread 05/30/2010, 12:13 PM   #2264
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
oh i can put that on my credit card..... lets get started
You're wife will have some serious questions when she sees that visa bill

Unread 05/30/2010, 12:14 PM   #2265
Padrino
Registered Member

lmao good thing i pay all the bills. if only she knew how much i really spent on my current tank.

Unread 05/30/2010, 06:35 PM   #2266
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Peter, thought I would share what my students have been up to since I put some of them on to reading here. The students that have dug as far through as I have and came across the mangroves pages. After a lot of talk and reading as much of Anthony Calfo as we could find, we decided to add mangroves to our reef system.
We wrote a grant proposal that would allow us to dust off our 240 and create three large clumps of trees.
the tank will be down hill of the reef and get a fair amount of the drain water before it goes on to the sump.

Lots of fun projects can be done with the tree habitat. Chem change monitoring of water pre and post contact water, monitoring the epiphyte growth on the root masses, and fun fish breeding can go in among the great hiding places. Wish us luck and we can't wait to see your tank stocked up.

Keep up the amazing quality of the thread

your pal
Briney

Unread 05/30/2010, 08:30 PM   #2267
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
Peter, thought I would share what my students have been up to since I put some of them on to reading here. The students that have dug as far through as I have and came across the mangroves pages. After a lot of talk and reading as much of Anthony Calfo as we could find, we decided to add mangroves to our reef system.
We wrote a grant proposal that would allow us to dust off our 240 and create three large clumps of trees.
the tank will be down hill of the reef and get a fair amount of the drain water before it goes on to the sump.

Lots of fun projects can be done with the tree habitat. Chem change monitoring of water pre and post contact water, monitoring the epiphyte growth on the root masses, and fun fish breeding can go in among the great hiding places. Wish us luck and we can't wait to see your tank stocked up.

Keep up the amazing quality of the thread

your pal
Briney
Briney that's great news. I have a bunch of questions that your students may want to answer regarding the mangrove project.

I think I'm going to be doing something very similar. One of the members of our thread has about 200 which I will probably offer to buy. I think I will plant them in Miracle Mud. The mud will probably be about 12" deep. What variety of mangrove pods are your students considering. What kind of light and what will the likely cycle be? What will the flow be and how will they control it? Will they add any nutrients to help the growth of the plants? I assume your students will establish a water analysis baseline before they add the plants. I would be very interested in which elements they will focus on and I will try and match their methodology to see what if any differences there might be.

I think its terrific that the kids would try something like this. They are welcome to post any observations or questions in this thread. I'm sure Mr. Wilson's reading lists will keep them out of trouble and definitely sleep deprived.

Meanwhile I am waiting for my second chiller to arrive and then I will be ready to wet test the tank and servicing systems by the beginning of next week. I will then be filling the display tank with salt water and barring anything weird Live rock.

Thanks for the support.

Peter

Unread 05/30/2010, 09:34 PM   #2268
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
About 20 pages back or so we discussed the use of Mangroves, i have over 200 pieces and am willing to sell some to this great group. PM me if you are interested. Let me know how many you want. I can even ship them to you.
Do you know the variety? I assume I can plant them in the miracle mud? Any advice on the care and management????? I'll probabbly take however many you have available.

Peter

Unread 05/31/2010, 12:51 AM   #2269
reefgeek31
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually Mr. Wilson (I think I am now going to refer to you in this forum as Mr. Wilson all the time as I think I have misspelled your first name too many times!!!....for that I apologize), I think a book is long overdue and now might be the time to do it. You are right, its either "Fish Tanks for Dummies", or "Empirical Studies on the Transplanted Lionfish and its Impact on the Caribbean Marine Ecology".

The discipline that Chingchai followed in his build should be written up. I know its difficult to encourage anyone to wade through a couple of hundred pages to benefit from the experience and process as it gets enunciated in a typical forum format. There is a huge benefit to encourage and even discover a formal process that minimizes risk of failure and greatly enhances the likelihood of achieving a desired managed outcome. I have to admire the majority of members, and even silent lurkers who are here just to learn. What a powerful asset to this hobby when this culture is the dominant one that holds it together. OK OK there are one or two voyeurs out there but I will let you dwell on that point. Just add my voice to the growing chorus of support for a book about this hobby that carries current real world experience with no other agenda other that to help improve the statistics for success and enjoyment for our efforts.

The time is now Mr. Wilson....the time is now.

Peter
+1 I think a book of this type is well ovedue.

Unread 05/31/2010, 06:05 AM   #2270
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Quote:
Briney that's great news. I have a bunch of questions that your students may want to answer regarding the mangrove project.

I think I'm going to be doing something very similar. One of the members of our thread has about 200 which I will probably offer to buy. I think I will plant them in Miracle Mud. The mud will probably be about 12" deep. What variety of mangrove pods are your students considering. What kind of light and what will the likely cycle be? What will the flow be and how will they control it? Will they add any nutrients to help the growth of the plants? I assume your students will establish a water analysis baseline before they add the plants. I would be very interested in which elements they will focus on and I will try and match their methodology to see what if any differences there might be.

I think its terrific that the kids would try something like this. They are welcome to post any observations or questions in this thread. I'm sure Mr. Wilson's reading lists will keep them out of trouble and definitely sleep deprived.

Meanwhile I am waiting for my second chiller to arrive and then I will be ready to wet test the tank and servicing systems by the beginning of next week. I will then be filling the display tank with salt water and barring anything weird Live rock.

Thanks for the support.

Peter
The red mangroves sound like the one to use in direct saltwater. We have not settled on substrate type or depth yet. I am mulling around the idea of usings three different methods. One would be the mud, a second basic reef sand, and third: free rooted in just water.

As for lighting: We have a spare twin m/h 400 and thought we would t-5 off-set to the sides to power algae that want to grow along the root tangles if needed.

I would not opt for that much lighting but we already have it so that is what we are using

I will start with a ten hour cycle. I think it would make more sense to run the lights counter to the reef lighting but since the tanks are in an L to each other I would get spilled light into the other and don't want that more than the benifit of running on the opposite schedule would give

flow will be rather crude. the drain line from the reef will come in on the far end. The flow will be rather slow.
I think that we will need to run a couple controlable dc pumps (likely tunze) to pulse backward against the incoming flow to break up the smooth incoming flow.

I hope that we end up having to add a little bit of nutrients to keep the trees healthy. This would mean that the system is very low in waste nutrients

I know the students were focusing their water quality testing on waste nutrients. However, it would make sense and be interesting to expand to Ca+(with dKh and alk) Mg+, pH, We are a public school club and raise all of our own funds so testing will not be at a full blown research level. single test of each once per week from the incoming and exit water will likely be our limit (assuming we win our grant !)
and yes we intend to test the reef drain water alone every day at the same time for a couple weeks prior to adding the trees to establish some sort of comparable base

to avoid clutttering Peter's thread all are welcome to just pm me thoughts or suggestions

I don't think any of us have run down too many of the links yet. We have read all of yours and Ching's threads and that alone was a fair amount of work as finals are going on this coming week. got to save something for summer LOL

Unread 05/31/2010, 01:28 PM   #2271
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you know the variety? I assume I can plant them in the miracle mud? Any advice on the care and management????? I'll probabbly take however many you have available.

Peter
peter
mangroves do require maintenance.
you can float them with styrofoam,where the roots are exposed and they do quite well,also they do well in miracle mud but i find that they do fine in sugar sized sand.
they must be misted with R/O water daily,also i find that clipping the tips of the leaves makes the plant stronger,for the lighting, it doesnt have to be high powered like the main display.

vic

Unread 05/31/2010, 01:32 PM   #2272
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
The red mangroves sound like the one to use in direct saltwater. We have not settled on substrate type or depth yet. I am mulling around the idea of usings three different methods. One would be the mud, a second basic reef sand, and third: free rooted in just water.

As for lighting: We have a spare twin m/h 400 and thought we would t-5 off-set to the sides to power algae that want to grow along the root tangles if needed.

I would not opt for that much lighting but we already have it so that is what we are using

I will start with a ten hour cycle. I think it would make more sense to run the lights counter to the reef lighting but since the tanks are in an L to each other I would get spilled light into the other and don't want that more than the benifit of running on the opposite schedule would give

flow will be rather crude. the drain line from the reef will come in on the far end. The flow will be rather slow.
I think that we will need to run a couple controlable dc pumps (likely tunze) to pulse backward against the incoming flow to break up the smooth incoming flow.

I hope that we end up having to add a little bit of nutrients to keep the trees healthy. This would mean that the system is very low in waste nutrients

I know the students were focusing their water quality testing on waste nutrients. However, it would make sense and be interesting to expand to Ca+(with dKh and alk) Mg+, pH, We are a public school club and raise all of our own funds so testing will not be at a full blown research level. single test of each once per week from the incoming and exit water will likely be our limit (assuming we win our grant !)
and yes we intend to test the reef drain water alone every day at the same time for a couple weeks prior to adding the trees to establish some sort of comparable base

to avoid clutttering Peter's thread all are welcome to just pm me thoughts or suggestions

I don't think any of us have run down too many of the links yet. We have read all of yours and Ching's threads and that alone was a fair amount of work as finals are going on this coming week. got to save something for summer LOL
your on the right track here with the mangroves,6 inches should suffice actually ive grown them in 4 inches under a powercompact bulb

vic

Unread 05/31/2010, 06:33 PM   #2273
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
peter
mangroves do require maintenance.
you can float them with styrofoam,where the roots are exposed and they do quite well,also they do well in miracle mud but i find that they do fine in sugar sized sand.
they must be misted with R/O water daily,also i find that clipping the tips of the leaves makes the plant stronger,for the lighting, it doesnt have to be high powered like the main display.

vic
Thanks Vic, I'm putting in miracle mud so I figure this can do no harm and might even do some good!

Peter

Unread 05/31/2010, 06:41 PM   #2274
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Although it would not be a true comparision as the groups will not be in identical conditions but rather in a line with each other but having different substrates in the same tank can shed at least some conversational light on which is type is best for use in an aquarium

Unread 05/31/2010, 08:53 PM   #2275
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
Peter,
They are the red mangroves. Let me know exactly how many you want. If you want more than i have left as many people have been asking for them at such a cheap Price. I will order more. Sea u Marine wants 20 dollars a piece. I can do 75% better and if u want a lot i can see what we can do.

I would keep them in either miracle mud or sugar sized sand (oolite) and under a light source such as daytime T5 or spiral florescent bulbs but knowing you . You like the classy lookT5s would would well. One important note, it is good to spray the leaves with RO water once every 2 days with a spray bottle.

Send me a PM if you want the mangroves, just in case i miss a post here by accident
Rob

Closed Thread