Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2018, 04:19 PM   #1
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Dumb question, dumping bag of salt into an empty tank

So I have a 75g that was spare and had some cichlids in it as a"timeout" tank when they were being dicks to other fish in the big tank hah. There is nothing in it currently.

I was wondering if I can just dump a bag of reef salt into it and just let it cycle? There is a powerhead in there and an Eheim 2217 filter.

I know you should never dump salt into a tank with things in it already, but can I do that with a more or less empty tank with sand in it and a few rocks(which I would be replacing with live rock)?

Also, I realize this would come with a ton of other questions about what my plans are and experience level. Still fairly new. Have a Nano reef tank right now for about 4 months. Wanting to get a bigger tank with some fish in it. That is what lead me to wanting to just convert this 75g.

Last edited by xsentrixsupra; 12/05/2018 at 04:25 PM.
xsentrixsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:18 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes its something that one can do...You need to turn the powerheads/pumps on and keep them running.
But yes pour it in a high flow area and keep the water moving, sprinkle in some flake food each day for the first week or add a shrimp to decay or whatever and let it cycle for 4-6 weeks or so..

Unread 12/05/2018, 07:45 PM   #3
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yes its something that one can do...You need to turn the powerheads/pumps on and keep them running.
But yes pour it in a high flow area and keep the water moving, sprinkle in some flake food each day for the first week or add a shrimp to decay or whatever and let it cycle for 4-6 weeks or so..
Yeah the pumps and powerhead run on it as it was my time out tank. I wasn't planning on putting anything in there until after the new year I don't think, but it would be an easy way to get it started.

Is this a terrible way to start a tank? Let me know if it is. I don't want anyone to hold back to spare my feelings hah. I just figured it would be fairly easy since there isn't anything in it and I could take advantage of a rare time there is a tank full of water and no livestock in it.

Unread 12/05/2018, 08:06 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Nothing wrong with doing it that way.. And trust me...I dont care about hurting your feelings

Unread 12/05/2018, 09:41 PM   #5
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with doing it that way.. And trust me...I dont care about hurting your feelings
Haha awesome!

It just seemed so easy since I have a full tank up and running and bags of salt sitting here for my small nano tank. Seemed so easy I was thinking there would be something wrong with it.

Unread 12/05/2018, 09:57 PM   #6
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Also would it be a good idea to take out the filter media? I am assuming that the bacteria from the fresh water setup will not survive in saltwater so that it could end up just causing complications and a dirty tank. Or will it not really matter?

Unread 12/06/2018, 05:45 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'd remove the filter completely..

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:45 AM   #8
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd remove the filter completely..
Really? For how long?

So you're saying just run the powerheads in there for awhile?

Unread 12/06/2018, 10:35 AM   #9
kevin21
Registered Member

Yup, no need for the filter. Run this tank with your powerheads and saltwater. If you have live rock in there or add it, throwing some light on those as well would be good. A protein skimmer is a good investment for saltwater tanks, but not necessary during the cycle if you don't have one.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 11:23 AM   #10
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Yup, no need for the filter. Run this tank with your powerheads and saltwater. If you have live rock in there or add it, throwing some light on those as well would be good. A protein skimmer is a good investment for saltwater tanks, but not necessary during the cycle if you don't have one.
Thanks for the advice.

Alright, I'll stop the filter and then just throw on the powerheads. I was planning on adding some live rock from the tank in my office that I was going to "borrow" haha.

Thanks guys. You've made this an incredibly easy decision to turning a freshwater tank into a saltwater tank.

Last question(I think) does it matter how much live rock you put in as far as starting it to cycle? Like if I put in 2-4 rather large rocks, would that help it more than like say 10 small pieces?

Unread 12/06/2018, 11:55 AM   #11
kevin21
Registered Member

Well, if the rock is indeed live rock, then putting those in, with zero die off on the rock, would actually cause a very limited cycle. Mcgyvr is the best when it comes to this stuff.

Most saltwater aquarists like to go with 1 lb per gallon. So you would probably like 75lbs of live rock in a tank that size. The live rock serves as your filtration system.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
Unread 12/06/2018, 01:48 PM   #12
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin21 View Post
Well, if the rock is indeed live rock, then putting those in, with zero die off on the rock, would actually cause a very limited cycle. Mcgyvr is the best when it comes to this stuff.

Most saltwater aquarists like to go with 1 lb per gallon. So you would probably like 75lbs of live rock in a tank that size. The live rock serves as your filtration system.
Thanks! Also I love your profile pic haha. Your clown just staring at the camera.

Unread 12/06/2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsentrixsupra View Post
Thanks! Also I love your profile pic haha. Your clown just staring at the camera.
Hi, please take out the old freshwater and make a new batch of fresh RO/DI water. Take out the sand and rock you have in their, was copper ever used in the tank, and I would not recommend to any one to add salt to an old tank of freshwater.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 09:22 AM   #14
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, please take out the old freshwater and make a new batch of fresh RO/DI water. Take out the sand and rock you have in their, was copper ever used in the tank, and I would not recommend to any one to add salt to an old tank of freshwater.
I was definitely planning on taking all the old fresh water out and the few rocks that are in there. There are 2 small catfish that would be impossible to catch if there was a lot of water in the tank. I wasn't planning on moving the sand though. I could, it wouldn't be that difficult. Is there a specific reason for taking out the sand? Copper was never used in the tank. Thanks for the heads up

Unread 12/07/2018, 09:25 AM   #15
kevin21
Registered Member

Yeah, I would take out the sand. You aren't going to want all those stored nutrients and bacteria in your new saltwater setup. You would be surprised to see all the gunk and garbage built up in that sand bed. Siphon the sand out and add new. I would also give the tank a rinse or quick scrub before adding the new sand and new water.

Unread 12/07/2018, 10:15 AM   #16
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi, Kevin already answered the Question, like he stated you do not want all the organics that are in the sand. Start new, everything else will be new to, what are going to use for lighting, and what do you plan on keeping?

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Unread 12/07/2018, 10:24 AM   #17
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, Kevin already answered the Question, like he stated you do not want all the organics that are in the sand. Start new, everything else will be new to, what are going to use for lighting, and what do you plan on keeping?
I have the Current USA Orbit Marine LED light set up. I was planning on keeping the lights and the filter and the sand. I was going to replace everything else.

Oh was also going to keep the powerheads but was planning on eventually changing that to the Current USA eflux wave pumps in the next few months.

Unread 12/07/2018, 10:41 AM   #18
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
I have the Current USA Orbit Marine LED light set up. I was planning on keeping the lights and the filter and the sand. I was going to replace everything else.

Oh was also going to keep the powerheads but was planning on eventually changing that to the Current USA eflux wave pumps in the next few months.
Hi, so what type of corals are you planning to go with, or are you only going to keep fish?

Unread 12/07/2018, 10:47 AM   #19
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, so what type of corals are you planning to go with, or are you only going to keep fish?
I was planning on doing mainly fish. I might throw some corals in there. The reason I wanted to start a 2nd salt tank though was I really wanted a flame angel hah. From what I gather those are known to nibble on corals from time to time.

I have some zoas, leather finger, torch, and duncan in my other tank. I might eventually move some into my big one...........but for the most part I wanted to get fish that I couldn't get before due to size of tank and corals.

Unread 12/07/2018, 10:52 AM   #20
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
I was planning on doing mainly fish. I might throw some corals in there. The reason I wanted to start a 2nd salt tank though was I really wanted a flame angel hah. From what I gather those are known to nibble on corals from time to time.

I have some zoas, leather finger, torch, and duncan in my other tank. I might eventually move some into my big one...........but for the most part I wanted to get fish that I couldn't get before due to size of tank and corals.
Ok, that sounds like fun, so you really don't have to worry to much about your lighting, good luck with the new tank.

Unread 12/07/2018, 10:57 AM   #21
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, that sounds like fun, so you really don't have to worry to much about your lighting, good luck with the new tank.
Since were on the subject though. What lights would you recommend if I did throw in some coral? Any corals the flame angel won't munch on? I've heard it is hit or miss, some of them don't but some of them do.

I also wanted some tangs if possible!

Unread 12/07/2018, 11:42 AM   #22
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Your initial posting seemed to imply that the tank was barely used (spare/temporary usage).. As such the amount of built up organics should be minimal and hence my replies so far saying its fine..

Unread 12/07/2018, 01:02 PM   #23
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Your initial posting seemed to imply that the tank was barely used (spare/temporary usage).. As such the amount of built up organics should be minimal and hence my replies so far saying its fine..
It is barely used. Theres 2 small synodontis catfish in there currently that I put in there as they were picking on 2 of the other catfish. It typically will have 1 or 2 fish in it every other month or so? Whenever someone starts picking on the others I move the bullies into this tank for a week or so. Sorry, I guess to me that means barely used as there are never fish in it full time.

Unread 12/08/2018, 01:01 PM   #24
manateemark
Registered Member

I would still go ahead and remove the sand. Adding salt to the freshwater bacteria contained within the sand will almost certainly cause die-off issues. I would also suggest looking at Bulk Reef Supply's youtube channel at their MACNA talks. One of them specifically talks about corals that anglefish have a tendency to munch on. I can't remember the name of the talk though.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 04:47 PM   #25
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Thanks guys, well you guys scared me off from that idea haha. I ended up just cleaning out my 37g and putting in new sand. Dunno if the flame angel is in the cards, but at least I can get an anemone and some clowns! I've read that 55g is the minimum for a flame angel