Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2012, 03:59 PM   #2126
Renton777
Polyp Nipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'm not liking my chances here right now. I rearranged my rock work to hopefully curb the potter's aggression towards the larger female bipart but I haven't seen the larger bipart in a couple days.
I had this exact thing happen out of the blue a few weeks ago. My potters was relentless toward a female bipart. She eventually buried herself and rarely came out for about a week. When she did come out he chased her everywhere. Eventually she resurfaced and though the aggression continued she stayed out. A day after resurfacing the potter's aggression subsided and now the male potter and 2 female biparts once again swim in harmony. It was about 2 weeks for the whole thing to run its course. Not sure why it happened or why it stopped.

Current Tank Info: 210 Gallon Mixed Reef starting 9-23-12.........93 gallon cube started 1-1-2011, ending 9-23-12.
Renton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 08:28 PM   #2127
VengefulNemesis
Registered Member

I got a female Meleagris a couple of weeks ago from a reputable local LFS. She hid for the first two days then started coming out for a couple of hours at a time. She was hanging out on the left side of the tank, but my Bicolor Dottyback would chase her. Now she hangs out on the right side, and if the Dottyback comes over my 2 Clownfish chase it away. They are like her bodyguards, as they don't bother the Wrasse at all. Finally today she was out until lights out. She wont eat flake food yet, but she absolutely chows down on frozen mysis. Can I add a male Meleagris? Will they hang out like Clownfish or do their own seperate thing? Here's a pic, she doesn't sit still long!
DSC02558.jpg

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef, Wavepoint T5, Eshopps PSK-150
VengefulNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 09:54 PM   #2128
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

what are the other fish in your tank ?

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 10:20 PM   #2129
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Ranton. I hope that's the case with mine too.

Dave was that question for me? If so:

Yellow watchman goby w/ tiger pistol shrimp
single false perc
2x Kauderni Cardinal fish
magnificent foxface
sharknose goby

Added the following at the same time with no aggression issues in 6 weeks of QT or past couple weeks in the DT until the removal of the starry blenny

trio of lyretail anthias
potters
1 small bipart
1 large bipart (added to the QT 1 day after the others)

I don't have any other aggression issues either.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 11:05 PM   #2130
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yup you and also vengfulnemus , you look as though the aggresion has subsided which is great but the venge man seem to e in trouble which i think is from his tankmates but i cant tell until i find out whats in his tank .
happy reefing

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 02/28/2012, 06:37 PM   #2131
VengefulNemesis
Registered Member

iamwrasseman- I have the Bicolor Dottyback, 2 Clarkii Clowns and a Flamefin Tang. The Leopard hangs out around the Clowns "nest" and they don't seem to even notice her. The only fish so far that has bothered the Leopard has been the Dottyback.

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef, Wavepoint T5, Eshopps PSK-150
VengefulNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2012, 11:00 PM   #2132
jason2459
Registered Member

Well, I still have or had the agression between the Potters and Larger Bipartitus in my tank. Saying had because I still haven't seen the bipartitus and hope to see it soon. The Potters is pretty bold and seems to be becoming the dominant fish in the tank. He's been up a lot longer now too since the blenny was removed. Up just before my lights start turning on and goes down just after they turn off. Lights ramp up and down from 10am to 10pm.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 02/29/2012, 07:14 PM   #2133
jason2459
Registered Member

Not looking good. Still no show but what worries me the most is an unusual diatom bloom.

Unread 02/29/2012, 07:44 PM   #2134
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

try rearranging some of the rock work and also keep them well fed like up to 8 times a day . i am getting seven wrasses acquainted to their new surroundings and i have been feeding them every hour . it really is helping as mine are doing great together

Dave

Unread 02/29/2012, 08:17 PM   #2135
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
try rearranging some of the rock work and also keep them well fed like up to 8 times a day . i am getting seven wrasses acquainted to their new surroundings and i have been feeding them every hour . it really is helping as mine are doing great together
I rearranged the rockwork already but haven't seen her since. I feed 4 times a day by autofeeder and 3 more times of various cubes when I get home since I got the leopards. Did this based on previous recommendations made in this thread. How stressful would it be on the potters if I removed it to another tank for a couple days and reintroduce back into the main tank again with another reaquascape done? This is assuming the missing bipartitus is seen again. I have my wife on the look out all day as she stays home during the day.

Unread 02/29/2012, 11:22 PM   #2136
jason2459
Registered Member

Feeling I've lost the big girl more and more. Just did a water change and cleaned out the skimmer which I normally do on Sunday and the skimmer cup was extra cruddy and wetter then normal... That's never a good sign when you're missing a fish. I'm kind of scared now to add another leopard wrasse with how aggressive the Potters was to the bigger bipart. Strange it just completely ignores the smaller one. I wouldn't have thought to have seen that kind of aggression in this large of a tank and after being together for close to 8 weeks going through QT together and introduced to the main tank with out issue and no aggression. I've had fish chase each other like what the lyertails are doing between each other developing a hierarchy but not like what I saw between those two wrasses. The potters was just relentless as soon as he saw her. I guess the Starry blenny was a peace keeper. Only thing I can attribute to the mood change.

Unread 03/01/2012, 08:50 AM   #2137
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

this is all guess work here but maybe the larger one was starting to show signs of turning male and the potters was a male and that's where the aggression came from . they are so tricky but for the most part usually you can mix them all together with no issues . i do however seem to be hearing more problems both ways with the bipartius ,some being the bully and some being bullied .if you find they are both alive i would remove one if possible and i do hope that it all smooths out somehow . doesn't sound likely though ,keep yer spirits up and hope for the best .

Dave

Unread 03/01/2012, 09:03 AM   #2138
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm also nervous because I have a Kuiter's in line to add to the tank. I'm contemplating taking the Potter's out temporarily on introduction but I don't want to risk stressing the Potter's out to much as he's adapted so well now to the main tank. I don't think I can handle getting a couple more...These leopards are not for the faint of heart. lol

Unread 03/01/2012, 02:33 PM   #2139
Renton777
Polyp Nipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I'm also nervous because I have a Kuiter's in line to add to the tank. I'm contemplating taking the Potter's out temporarily on introduction but I don't want to risk stressing the Potter's out to much as he's adapted so well now to the main tank. I don't think I can handle getting a couple more...These leopards are not for the faint of heart. lol
I am just hoping that the Potter's doesn't stress you out to the point you bury yourself in the sand for a week. Could you imagine what your skimmer would look like if you didn't come back out....yuck.

Current Tank Info: 210 Gallon Mixed Reef starting 9-23-12.........93 gallon cube started 1-1-2011, ending 9-23-12.
Renton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 07:01 PM   #2140
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton777 View Post
I am just hoping that the Potter's doesn't stress you out to the point you bury yourself in the sand for a week. Could you imagine what your skimmer would look like if you didn't come back out....yuck.
They're all stressing me out. Everytime I come home and don't see one I stress out. lol

Like I didn't see the smaller bipartitus today and haven't seen my Kuiter's in about 5 days so far... I know its normal but it still makes the heart sink a little until you see them again. Don't know if I'll make it to my goal of having a couple more. We'll see how the Kuiter's do.

Unread 03/01/2012, 08:12 PM   #2141
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

jason i will have to be the first to say that you should straighten out one problem before you start another . get the fish in harmony before you go putting another one in the mix . the Kuitier's have been on the wholesale list for months and will continue to be there so slow down and relax just a bit . the feminsus abd lennardi's are on the lists to if you want to do the jones town thing ?

Dave

Unread 03/01/2012, 08:28 PM   #2142
jason2459
Registered Member

No worries, I don't have plans to move the Kuiter's into the main tank for a while until they are acclimated to aquarium life, my time zone, and the foods I normally feed. Pretty much the same procedure I used for the first three. No more until these get through QT first. I have the patience to do that.

Unread 03/01/2012, 09:44 PM   #2143
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

good to hear ,it sounded as though you were planning on a new wrasse every day and that's what i do but i have the space .
happy reefing

Dave

Unread 03/01/2012, 09:59 PM   #2144
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
good to hear ,it sounded as though you were planning on a new wrasse every day and that's what i do but i have the space .
happy reefing
Thanks, when the time comes do you think I should just risk it and place the Kuiter's in the main tank with Potter's? Or kind of do a swap. Take the Potter's out into the QT and put the Kuiter's in the DT. Reaquascape, wait a few days, and then place the Potter's back in? Or just reaquascape when the Potter's is burried and place the Kuiter's in?

Unread 03/02/2012, 05:34 PM   #2145
jason2459
Registered Member

Smaller bipartitus is back out today and no aggression from the Potter's as normal. Still no sign of the larger one and at this point have no hope to see her again.

Unread 03/03/2012, 10:35 AM   #2146
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

best wishes !

Dave

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:00 PM   #2147
jason2459
Registered Member

Thanks Dave. So far so good with everyone else.

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:34 PM   #2148
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i just put a rare hawian cleaner wrasse along with a rhombloid fairy wrasse into my DT today and will be putting an anampsus liniatus ,M Kutier ,royal cleaner,and anampsus twisti ,tommorow so my dt is shaping up pretty well .

Dave

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:35 PM   #2149
jason2459
Registered Member

Wow, nice mix! Can't wait to maybe see some pictures down the road?

Unread 03/05/2012, 09:39 PM   #2150
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yes Jason i will get some shots next week as i won't be using a flash camera for the first few days to a week depending on how they react to their new setting . i will asap though .

Dave