Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2015, 10:20 PM   #276
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
I can't say I have ever read any siphon system named heroine, but I would suggest staying away from it

Just messing with you.
Damn iphone and autocorrect.

Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 11:27 PM   #277
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
Spent a lot of time doing a lot of reading yesterday on ozone. For me right now, there are too many negatives to ozone over the positives. Im gonna stick with just UV for now.
True, if you use an ozonizer, you must have an ORP controller and must use carbon to remove the odor from air to protect you and your family as well as from water to protect your livestock. What's more, an air dryer is required for a better effect. I had the experience with it. Those items I had were made by Sanders in Germany a long time ago. It worked great but it was not cost efficient (air dryers are regenerable for a few times only and replace exhausted carbon frequently). What a PITA.

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2015, 11:46 PM   #278
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I see so many crazy things on reefs. Ozone, refugiums, mangrove forests, crazy reactors, surge sumps- etx etc. it begs the question, how much of the stuff that we have in some of these tanks really necessary? With ozone, do I really want to mess with something thing might be potentially harmful if I don't manage it properly? Isnt sometimes less actually more?

Unread 05/29/2015, 12:17 AM   #279
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Quote:
I see so many crazy things on reefs. Ozone, refugiums, mangrove forests, crazy reactors, surge sumps- etx etc. it begs the question, how much of the stuff that we have in some of these tanks really necessary? With ozone, do I really want to mess with something thing might be potentially harmful if I don't manage it properly? Isnt sometimes less actually more?
Yeah, you only need three things for water quality control - mechanical, chemical and biological filtration. As for an UV unit, it's not necessary but if you want to reduce free-floating parasites in your tank, it will help as long as the flow is slow enough according to the UV manufacturer's instruction.

Are you planning to add biopellets to prevent algae growth?

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 02:24 AM   #280
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz
Isnt sometimes less actually more?
It is so good to see you asking this question up front. In case it hasn't occurred to you yet, there is a tremendous amount of OCD in the hobby. People try to add every possible device before they know if they even need it. Advance planning allows you to include space, plumbing and power for every conceivable device, but there is no knowing what you will actually need until you start running your tank.

No two tanks behave the same because no two tanks have exactly the same set-up or inhabitants. You can't know in advance if you really need the extra boost that a particular type of filtration can provide. And people turn all sorts of cartwheels during the first few months of operation as the tank tries to find its own equilibrium. They forget that a tank doesn't even start to become fully mature until it is about two years old.

Instead of trying to build in every possible type of filtration in advance, you are far better off getting the basics to start and then modifying and adapting your system as it grows and matures. This involves having sufficient power supply and space for additional plumbing and equipment. Having your fish room puts you miles ahead of many other hobbyists, but don't think for a moment that this is a one time, set-and-forget sort of thing. A reef tank is an organic system that will change and grow over time.

Just my opinion, of course.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.

Last edited by dave.m; 05/29/2015 at 02:32 AM.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 05:49 AM   #281
CuzzA
Registered Member

I agree with Dave 100% and just to elaborate more it also comes down to what type of tank you want. What are its characteristics? What type of animals are you trying to support? Easy fish and corals or more challenging ones? For example, will it be SPS only, LPS only, Softy only or a mixed reef? There's a big difference in each of these setups and each come with there own set of challenges. Do you love a tank full of fish or just a few with corals being the predominate attraction? And while you may have success with one type of filtration, product or technique, your tank may respond indifferently or negatively to another. That said there are definitely some gadgets, theories, products, etc. that are snake oil and are completely unnecessary and others that are extremely effective.

From my experience and research I can describe a little bit of my plans for my 310. Some things will be utilized and hopefully others won't, but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. Often times going back and changing something is difficult. Especially when it comes to plumbing. So for example, I have a 9 port manifold on a dedicated pump. I don't want a situation where down the road if I want to add something it means redoing my plumbing or adding more pumps and clutter to my sump. For me I want to incorporate diversity in not only the life of my tank but the different zones that are present on a natural reef. So the manifold feeds the following... Cryptic Refugium, Macro Algae Refugium, Remote Deep Sand Bed, UV, Carbon Reactor, GFO Reactor, Bio Pellet Reactor, Calcium Reactor and a Frag Tank. I'll also have an automatic batch water changer that replaces 3 gallons per day with filtered natural sea water (Benefits of living next to the Gulf). I want to keep a challenging mixed reef, with some challenging animals so I'll also have an automatic artemia hatch and feeder hooked to the system. Hopefully I won't need the carbon, GFO or bio pellets, but if I do, they are on the ready. I suspect I will need them though as I love a tank full of fish and will be feeding heavily.

Like I said, ultimately it comes down to the type of tank you want to have. Is it going to be something like Peter's magnificent creation (RIP)? With the experienced eye, this picture alone shows some rather challenging and difficult to keep species. Or something simple and easy that won't require much intervention for it to thrive. Like the second picture of a very nice large soft coral tank I randomly pulled off the internet.

Knowing what you want your reef to be will dictate how it's setup and the different products you may utilize.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.9 KB, 2710 views)

Last edited by CuzzA; 05/29/2015 at 06:05 AM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 09:26 AM   #282
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Isnt sometimes less actually more?
Yes.

I started my tank with HC GFO & Rox 0.8 Carbon reactors, passive Polyfilters, oversized skimmer, filter socks and limited feedings. After 6 months of bleaching and dying SPS, I've totally removed the GFO & Carbon, increased feedings for fish and added coral specific feedings. My parameters (Nitrates & Phosphates) have not increased and my corals are finally coloring up. I think it's good to have that stuff at the ready or add it over time as your tank matures, but I think it's a bad idea to run it from the start.

Unread 05/29/2015, 06:22 PM   #283
eeeeek
Registered Member

Quote:

But due to limited space, we ended up building a dedicated filtration room in the garage with its own climate control and recessed by some inches to control leaks and floods- just in case:

I love that you put the Griswald Family Truckster in the plans.

eeeeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 08:20 PM   #284
alin2
Registered Member

Quote:
SUMP :

Skimmer:

Media Reactor:
You have to love the RE Dreambox sumps!

Check out the custom RE Dreambox sump for the Reef924 project.

You can also search the *banned* reef website for a 2 part article on the project.

alin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 08:55 PM   #285
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Visual esthetics is just as important to me as function in this build. The Royal exclusiv line of products fit the bill nicely. IM very much excited about the sump, skimmer and all the integrated reactors. Will obviously post as many pictures as I can.

Just as an update, tomorrow all the finish works starts. Cabinets, doors, trim, tile- lots of work will be happening at the house.

Tank is roughly 2 weeks out. Filtration about 6 weeks probably as they have to ship all filtration from Germany.

Unread 05/31/2015, 09:09 PM   #286
Oldude
Premium Member

Looking forward to seeing this tank up & running soon. The house is absolutely incredible, congrats!

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 09:30 PM   #287
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Thant you very much. It's been 2.5 years of planning and building. Well, just a year of building but 2.5 years since we bought the lot. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Unread 06/01/2015, 11:45 AM   #288
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Tx. for the Order, Socaltoaz ... now the Chief bulding your Dreambox himself

For your Dreambox, we switch from the Blue LEDīs to different colors, so if the Red LEDīs are good for Sodom and Gomorrha in the Sump, every night

best regards .. .Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 11:48 AM   #289
Edstewart5
Registered Member

This house and tank combo look like they'll be incredible! Can't wait to see it finished.

Unread 06/01/2015, 12:13 PM   #290
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen D View Post

For your Dreambox, we switch from the Blue LEDīs to different colors, so if the Red LEDīs are good for Sodom and Gomorrha in the Sump, every night

best regards .. .Klaus
Klaus- I cant wait to see the worlds first Dreambox with multicolored LED lights! Its going to be epic!!

Unread 06/01/2015, 02:05 PM   #291
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here we go. Lots of activity at the house today. There were an army of workers- Love the progress:

Cabinets, doors, trim and tile all being installed today

Here are the kitchen cabinets awaiting install

Bookshelves in the kids room:

Doors- We are gonna paint everything white:

Last cabinet in my younger daughters bathroom:

Unread 06/01/2015, 06:22 PM   #292
kirkaz
Jade

I like the doors a lot. We did much more simple/clean as we are doing all the interior trim black, but I'm anxious to see those finished. Looks like our build is about 4-6 weeks ahead of you....Exciting but stressful huh!

Hobby experience-since 2001
kirkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 06:47 PM   #293
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Stress? What stress!

Unread 06/01/2015, 07:14 PM   #294
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkaz View Post
I like the doors a lot. We did much more simple/clean as we are doing all the interior trim black, but I'm anxious to see those finished. Looks like our build is about 4-6 weeks ahead of you....Exciting but stressful huh!
Building a house is stressful but honestly it's been fun. Our builder has been great with none of the contractor horror stories you aways hear about. Now the fun part begins where the finish work is going in. Couple of more weeks before the tank delivery.

Unread 06/02/2015, 01:59 PM   #295
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Deposit for all the filtration has been sent. Sump, skimmer etc are all under construction. Klaus- do your magic. Roughly 2 weeks to go till tank delivery.

Unread 06/02/2015, 02:12 PM   #296
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen D View Post

best regards .. .Klaus
When our sump no longer works for us, I know where to look

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 03:33 PM   #297
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
When our sump no longer works for us, I know where to look
Honestly I have no idea whether this sump is better than others but in planning out the build, I have to say the following things about Royal Exclusiv:

1- Their service has been top notch. Extremely helpful in planning out the build and making suggestions. Best is that they haven't tried to over sell me on anything. They have made appropriate suggestions for the build.
2- In reviewing the design of the sump- the whole chamber is extremely well thought out. Its well integrated and clean
3- It looks great. Nothing drives me more crazy than looking into a fish room that is messy with wires all over the place. The Dreambox will keep my build clean.

We have put a tremendous amount of time effort and energy into building this house and I wanted to build a showcase that my family could enjoy for many years to come. The tank and fish room will both be top notch and I hope the build lives up to some of the other great builds that have been showcased here on this website.

Unread 06/02/2015, 05:48 PM   #298
dave.m
Registered Member

I don't remember if you said but, is your fish room vented to the outdoors to prevent build up of humidity in the enclosed space?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 08:05 PM   #299
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Fish room is completely I sulayed with its own climate control as well as a fan for ventilation.

Unread 06/03/2015, 10:21 PM   #300
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Can anyone give me the scoop on lighting. I was going to go with ecotech radions. However, I really was impressed with the Kessel cannons. Are these controllable with the apex controller like the Radions? I want to be able to adjust the lights from the web. I know you can hook up all the Radions together. What about the Kessel?