Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2015, 06:39 PM   #476
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Menard View Post
look for a Jensen interceptor...it will go great with that gullwing Mercedes...or maybe look into a tesla?

lovin the house my friend...I could picture Pancho Villa looking at it and going "The Queens Palace?"... )
My wife drives a Tesla. Actually I bought it first and she stole it last year. She loves the car. Drives great.

Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 06:39 PM   #477
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax20 View Post
Fantastic build, gorgeous house, fortunate life!! What do you do for a living? I obviously need a career change! 😉
Yup- I'm an overnight success- 20 years later. 😊.

Unread 07/09/2015, 07:11 PM   #478
Pax20
Registered Member

Yes I know that feeling.... guess I'll stick with research science 😊 and hope for a break through.

Pax

Current Tank Info: 29BC primarily LPS reef tank; tomato clown, chromis, featherduster blenny, wrasse, yellow tang 12DX live rock, fungia, 2 red firefish, lettuce nudibranch
Pax20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 09:28 PM   #479
wild1
Registered Member

I was born with nothing & have most of it left!

wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 09:50 PM   #480
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Well if you are looking to replace something big check out this years F-150's (or bigger if you want). Their 4 door cabs leave you the space of an SUV plus you have the truckbed for utility. They also come with more toy's then a Caddillac. I just got one (minus some of the top toys) and I love it.

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 01:51 AM   #481
trevin_s_thib
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
Yup:

Just curious but did they use water resistant sheet rock? I know our builder used a blue sheet rock that was water resistant in the bath rooms and garage.
Beatific home by the way. I have been following this thread since day one and I have incorporated some of your home ideas into my home I am currently building! Looks great!

trevin_s_thib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 04:31 AM   #482
BAETech2004
Registered Member

Eeverything about you build makes me happy in my downtown area, amazing. Beautiful house too!

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon Shallow, Cutsom Stand, Nanobox T5/LED Hybrid, Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer, Apex Controller, 20L Sump, Sicce 3.0 return
BAETech2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 07:52 AM   #483
Guy Fawkes
Registered Member

Wow! Insane house. What type of your do you do? Colombian drug lord?

Guy Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 07:54 AM   #484
Guy Fawkes
Registered Member

Lol joking

Guy Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 09:22 AM   #485
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Just am a bit confused as what else to get. I know I know, first world problems.
I don't think you could go wrong with an F458 Speciale.

Unread 07/10/2015, 10:10 AM   #486
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax20 View Post
Yes I know that feeling.... guess I'll stick with research science 😊 and hope for a break through.
Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1 View Post
I was born with nothing & have most of it left!
After this build Ill have very little left as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceAquariu View Post
Well if you are looking to replace something big check out this years F-150's (or bigger if you want). Their 4 door cabs leave you the space of an SUV plus you have the truckbed for utility. They also come with more toy's then a Caddillac. I just got one (minus some of the top toys) and I love it.
The F150 is a great looking truck. I might have to go check one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAETech2004 View Post
Eeverything about you build makes me happy in my downtown area, amazing. Beautiful house too!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
Wow! Insane house. What type of your do you do? Colombian drug lord?
Umm does taking advil count towards my being a drug lord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
I don't think you could go wrong with an F458 Speciale.
Love the Speciale. Been looking for one but they are 50k over sticker and homeboy doesnt pay over sticker for any car! Ill keep looking.

Unread 07/10/2015, 10:37 AM   #487
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
No garage pics to share just yet. Intact I had to sell our big SUV cause it wouldn't fit in our garage at my condo where we have been for the past 15 months waiting for the house to be complete. However I did pick up one of these (the one on the left is mine) a few months back. When I move, Im debating what to get next- been tossing around the idea of several different cars to add to my stable- but haven't settled on anything just yet.
Very nice

Never really see the one on the right! Stunning to see both together.

How do you feel about 'Murican cars?

Got rid of my M6 a few years ago and picked up a '13 GT500. Going to pick up a Hellcat Charger for my wife in a few months as well.

How big was your SUV? We used to have a SC RR, and the new ones seem really nice. Cayennes are pretty small, also maybe one of the AMG SUVs? Already have the SLS

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 12:32 PM   #488
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Very nice

Never really see the one on the right! Stunning to see both together.

How do you feel about 'Murican cars?

Got rid of my M6 a few years ago and picked up a '13 GT500. Going to pick up a Hellcat Charger for my wife in a few months as well.

How big was your SUV? We used to have a SC RR, and the new ones seem really nice. Cayennes are pretty small, also maybe one of the AMG SUVs? Already have the SLS

We had an infiniti QX56. Great car just massive. I love murican cars- I own a Tesla!

Really at this point haven't decided what Im going to get as a new car. Lots of options but right now more important matters to take care of.

Unread 07/10/2015, 01:41 PM   #489
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
We had an infiniti QX56. Great car just massive. I love murican cars- I own a Tesla!

Really at this point haven't decided what Im going to get as a new car. Lots of options but right now more important matters to take care of.
Yikes yeah the QX56 is huge. Wife used to have a Mercedes GL and we went to look at the QX when it was time for a new car. We were both blown away with how large it was. No kids, so no need for so much space.

Oh yeah... Tesla, didn't catch that. Dual motor?

Nothing's more important than car choice

Actually got a bit out of cars as the reefing hobby took over most of my time...

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 01:53 PM   #490
scubadan206
Registered Member

Look into an Alpha GTR! AMS is just south of me and I see the evidence of their tinkering every so often. See some at various race tracks too.

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 11:37 PM   #491
alfaowner
Registered Member

1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

What if there was a PEX eating ant colony right in the ground where you laid that pipe. Do you have a plan B? ;-)surely we can worry you about that!

alfaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2015, 07:15 AM   #492
Edward Menard
Registered Member

I was wondering...have you built in a sprinkler or fire system into your home?...seeing the lighting in the vaulted ceiling made me curious)

Edward Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2015, 08:13 AM   #493
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevin_s_thib View Post
Just curious but did they use water resistant sheet rock? I know our builder used a blue sheet rock that was water resistant in the bath rooms and garage.
Beatific home by the way. I have been following this thread since day one and I have incorporated some of your home ideas into my home I am currently building! Looks great!
Hi- sorry, I missed your post from earlier. Yes- We used blue (water resistant) Sheetrock in the fish room and the hood above the tank. We are also going to paint the entire fish room in an epoxy paint. Glad you liked the home and glad we were able to give some inspiration for your own home.

Unread 07/11/2015, 08:16 AM   #494
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner View Post
What if there was a PEX eating ant colony right in the ground where you laid that pipe. Do you have a plan B? ;-)surely we can worry you about that!
I think they cover that on page 834 of the book How to Not Have your Tank get Destroyed By Ants don't they? I only made it to page 725 so I'm not quite sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Menard View Post
I was wondering...have you built in a sprinkler or fire system into your home?...seeing the lighting in the vaulted ceiling made me curious)
Yes. The entire home has fire sprinklers per code. It's the law to have the sprinklers in a home this size.

Unread 07/11/2015, 03:15 PM   #495
alfaowner
Registered Member

Ok I'm British and sarcasm runs through my veins so couldn't help myself but some questions posed like mine here are a bit silly but seriously. Can you please hurry up and finish your house, as I can't wait much longer to see this fish room and tank cycling. It's Killing me.

alfaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2015, 03:16 PM   #496
Peterbran
Registered Member

Looks good

Peterbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2015, 04:35 PM   #497
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner View Post
Ok I'm British and sarcasm runs through my veins so couldn't help myself but some questions posed like mine here are a bit silly but seriously. Can you please hurry up and finish your house, as I can't wait much longer to see this fish room and tank cycling. It's Killing me.

I'll let the contractor know to hurry up cause the Brit is waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbran View Post
Looks good
Thank you Peter.

Unread 07/11/2015, 09:54 PM   #498
machodik
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are some photos of the initial framing. I have to tell you that when this process of framing started last July, I had no idea that some very talented individuals could take some raw lumber, some plans and create a house from scratch. Ive seen homes framed before but the way they planned everything out so that all the pipes and walls and everything came out exactly as drawn is mind blowing.

What you see below is the view from the bar to the kitchen. as if you are standing in front of the fish tank. This way, anyone standing in the kitchen has an unobstructed view of the tank.

More walls:

This is my favorite view. This is essentially the view that someone sees when they first walk into the house. If you look to the left, you will see the depression where the fish tank sits. This is what cemented my decision to make the tank 48 inches deep. I want people to essentially see a 4 foot wall of water as they walk into the house.

Here is the entrance to the house. Double doors of wrought iron and glass.

A bit more progress being done on the framing. This was a few months back.

and here is the most recent photo of the great room. The view that you are seeing is from the kitchen. The fish tank will be in the depression in the slab and we will have 2 curved arches that take you into the bar which is on the other side of the tank.

So the bar area is connected to the family room but separate. The family room has 23 foot ceilings and the bar has essentially 14 foot ceilings. The tank as I mentioned will sit in the depression but the finished height of the tank will be 36 inches. The steel stand will be surrounded by custom built cabinetry that will complement the kitchen. The tank itself will go 48 inches high and then we have another 30 or so inches of cabinetry on top with access panels. Essentially you have a 10 foot wall of tank in front of you separating the family room from the bar area.

Wow! what a nice house plan!

I am amazed with you people able to live in a big spaces like that. here in my Country, you have to be super rich to owns a big lot with a nice house like that. we have mostly live in a high rise condo unit and space is very very small.

here in Taiwan, our house are mainly build with bricks and cements , a pure wooden made house is not possible here perhaps the humidity climate that make it impossible? well, I hope we build our house with woods as earthquake has been a treath to us.

surely will keep tracking your great build here. although in this life, no ways for me to owns such a beautiful big house like yours but I am really entertained to follow such a lot of nice build in this large tank thread.

cheers,

MD

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 10:43 AM   #499
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
Wow! what a nice house plan!

I am amazed with you people able to live in a big spaces like that. here in my Country, you have to be super rich to owns a big lot with a nice house like that. we have mostly live in a high rise condo unit and space is very very small.

here in Taiwan, our house are mainly build with bricks and cements , a pure wooden made house is not possible here perhaps the humidity climate that make it impossible? well, I hope we build our house with woods as earthquake has been a treath to us.

surely will keep tracking your great build here. although in this life, no ways for me to owns such a beautiful big house like yours but I am really entertained to follow such a lot of nice build in this large tank thread.

cheers,

MD
In this country too

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 11:53 AM   #500
Spaced Cowboy
South Bay Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
In this country too
Well, that depends where it is, to be fair. I could probably move out of my 1500 sq ft ranch in Silicon Valley and buy/build a 5000 sq ft house on a lot of land in a far cheaper state...

Haven't followed the thread enough to know where this is though, so you could well be correct about this particular house

Simon

Spaced Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote