Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2018, 07:44 PM   #2576
davocean
Registered Member

I just used the thinnest sheet of foam they sell at home depot, think it's 3/8" or 1/2", but I like the yoga mat idea.
It's just a buffer between glass and stand.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 04:31 AM   #2577
cincyjim
Registered Member

I used a yoga mat. Try to get one that closely matches the color of your stand. You'll never know it's there once the tank, water, rock, and sand weight is on it. It'll be smashed down real good.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 07:54 PM   #2578
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Did most people use the bulkheads that came with their SC tanks? I just got my tank and am thinking of going with the schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS. Thoughts?

Side note, haven't leak tested my tank, but am really pleased with the custom job Steve put together. Also a shout out to Soulpatch for telling me to skip the eurobrace on the back of the tank, awesome move for water level purposes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg euro SC.jpg (50.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg cold tank on stand.jpg (47.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Synergy.jpg (42.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Chicagoreef2016; 04/11/2018 at 07:59 PM.
Chicagoreef2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 07:59 PM   #2579
soulpatch
Registered Member

Sch 80 bulkheads likely wont fit as they are thicker and no need. We are not a pressurized environment in our plumbing.

I swapped out my bulkheads but he was sending metric at that time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 08:04 PM   #2580
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Sch 80 bulkheads likely wont fit as they are thicker and no need. We are not a pressurized environment in our plumbing.

I swapped out my bulkheads but he was sending metric at that time.

Cool, thanks. I uploaded a couple pics in my previous post, the glass is frosty in one since I just brought the tank inside from the cold. I am going to do a build thread starting here soon once I get the plumbing done and get closer to moving my existing tank into this one.

Unread 04/12/2018, 04:53 AM   #2581
cincyjim
Registered Member

Looks very nice! I love the part of putting together a new system. Don't get me wrong I love it when it's together but it was a lot of fun getting everything hooked up. Please do keep us posted.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 04/12/2018, 07:18 AM   #2582
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Looks very nice! I love the part of putting together a new system. Don't get me wrong I love it when it's together but it was a lot of fun getting everything hooked up. Please do keep us posted.
Agreed, it is a lot of fun figuring everything out. Part carpenter, plumber, designer, painter, chemist, biologist, etc. etc.

Unread 04/20/2018, 09:57 AM   #2583
Mark SF
Registered Member

Thanks for the long read, I think I made it half way through and by and large, it sounds like the quality vs. cost can't be beat. I spoke to Steve yesterday about building a custom tank and wanted to get everyone's opinion on the 66G vs the 80G.

If you have a 66G, do you wish you opted for the taller tank and viceversa? I've had tanks up to 20", but never 24". I like the idea of more vertical space for SPS and rock work, but didn't know if people felt the additional height was a burden or a blessing. One thing, I'm 6'6" so the additional height doesn't necessarily make me concerned for tank access.

-Mark

Mark SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 04:36 PM   #2584
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^My ideal size tank is a 36" x 30"x24", I have a friend that has his but at 16" deep elbow to sand depth very sexy tank. So it is a hard choice.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 09:22 AM   #2585
Mark SF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoreef2016 View Post
Did most people use the bulkheads that came with their SC tanks? I just got my tank and am thinking of going with the schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS. Thoughts?

Side note, haven't leak tested my tank, but am really pleased with the custom job Steve put together. Also a shout out to Soulpatch for telling me to skip the eurobrace on the back of the tank, awesome move for water level purposes.
Are you using the Modular Marine overflow? I like the idea of skipping the Euro Bracing in the rear where the overflow is going - makes for easier access and definitely helps with the water level. My question is have you filled the tank yet, and where does the water line end up with the recessed Euro Bracing?

If you have filled the tank, looking back, would you have changed anything with the bracing?

Mark SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 06:41 AM   #2586
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SF View Post
Are you using the Modular Marine overflow? I like the idea of skipping the Euro Bracing in the rear where the overflow is going - makes for easier access and definitely helps with the water level. My question is have you filled the tank yet, and where does the water line end up with the recessed Euro Bracing?

If you have filled the tank, looking back, would you have changed anything with the bracing?
Give me 2 days and I will post a picture with the answer. I just finished the plumbing the other day and need a couple hours of time to fill and watch for any leaks/issues. Eyeballing it it looks like the water line will fall just below the eurobrace. I used the Synergy Ghost overflow, the 16" one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5230.jpg (40.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5231.jpg (47.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5154.jpg (50.0 KB, 89 views)
Unread 05/03/2018, 07:28 AM   #2587
cincyjim
Registered Member

very nice plumbing job! I can't wait to see more of this build and tank.

Unread 05/03/2018, 07:31 AM   #2588
soulpatch
Registered Member

Saw the plumb job on fb. Very nice. Just make sure to add PVC bracing after you finish leak testing plumbing

Unread 05/03/2018, 10:50 AM   #2589
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Saw the plumb job on fb. Very nice. Just make sure to add PVC bracing after you finish leak testing plumbing

Thanks! To be fair, I got the no eurobrace on the back of the tank from Soulpatch. Was a wealth of information on the setup of the actual tank when I messaged him. And the plumbing, that comes mainly from stalking everyone else's pictures/setups on here.

Soulpatch, I just put on copper straps on to support the pipes, not too tight and easy to remove/change if needed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Unread 05/03/2018, 10:53 AM   #2590
soulpatch
Registered Member

Cool. No strapping always worries me. It's not the weight of the pipes or such but that they can act as levers when bumped and do a ton of damage.

And no worries on any advice. That is what we are here for. I for one am excited to see it filled and such.

Unread 05/04/2018, 11:52 AM   #2591
angelargill
Registered Member

Ordered my 90 gallon yesterday. I am sad they use schedule 40. I already have a **** ton of 80. I have the bits to drill the holes bigger but I have only ever drilled on fresh glass - never enlarged. Thoughts/advice?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angelargill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 12:29 PM   #2592
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelargill View Post
Ordered my 90 gallon yesterday. I am sad they use schedule 40. I already have a **** ton of 80. I have the bits to drill the holes bigger but I have only ever drilled on fresh glass - never enlarged. Thoughts/advice?

Thanks!!

You can mix schedule 80 fittings with schedule 40 pipe. That said no reason to use schedule 80 bulkheads nor pipe. The real only reason to use schedule 80 fittings is for the grey color. Our systems don't even come close to pressure for schedule 40 pipe...

Unread 05/04/2018, 12:53 PM   #2593
angelargill
Registered Member

Quote:
You can mix schedule 80 fittings with schedule 40 pipe. That said no reason to use schedule 80 bulkheads nor pipe. The real only reason to use schedule 80 fittings is for the grey color. Our systems don't even come close to pressure for schedule 40 pipe...

I can’t find any adapters for it. Part of my reason is I have a **** ton of unions, gate valves, pipe all in schedule 80. I also really prefer the grey color.

Unread 05/04/2018, 12:59 PM   #2594
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
I can’t find any adapters for it. Part of my reason is I have a **** ton of unions, gate valves, pipe all in schedule 80. I also really prefer the grey color.

You don't need adapters. Schedule 40 and 80 pipe has same outer diameter making them inter changeable. The difference is schedule 80 is a bit narrower internally as the walls are thicker

Unread 05/04/2018, 01:18 PM   #2595
angelargill
Registered Member

Quote:
You don't need adapters. Schedule 40 and 80 pipe has same outer diameter making them inter changeable. The difference is schedule 80 is a bit narrower internally as the walls are thicker

No - they have the same internal dimensions. Exterior dimensions are larger for schedule 80.

Unread 05/04/2018, 01:21 PM   #2596
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
No - they have the same internal dimensions. Exterior dimensions are larger for schedule 80.

That is true for bulkheads and the fittings but the pipe outer dimensions is the same. This is why one can swap fittings amongst the 2 sizes.

https://flexpvc.com/Reference/FullPVCPipeChart.shtml

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...ons-d_795.html

So you can use the schedule 40 bulkhead and slide in schedule 80 pipe just fine

Unread 05/04/2018, 01:22 PM   #2597
angelargill
Registered Member

Quote:

Which - funny. Because each site I pull up says something different 🤣. But I want to use the schedule 80 stuff I own....so....which is it.

Unread 05/04/2018, 01:27 PM   #2598
angelargill
Registered Member

Ahhhh - awesome! So I will use the schedule 40 bulkheads and the schedule 80 pipe and other fittings. Perfect. Whew! No holes to drill!!

Thanks!!

Unread 05/05/2018, 10:10 AM   #2599
strat1960s
Registered Member

I've had my SCA 50g cube over 1 year now. It has really done well. I figured it was time to move on up to "phase 2". LOL
I've kept African Cichlids in a 210g (not SCA) tank for several years. Last November I gave 20+ hand sized African Cichlids to a kid here in San Antonio that was just getting into Cichlids and proceeded to gut the tank. Since October, I have been purchasing what I'll need to get it going as a salt tank.

I am leak testing and fine tuning everything using tap water. I figure it is cheaper than mixing the salt/RODI and finding a ton of saltwater on my floors.

Ted

Current Tank Info: 240 Gal. mixed reef and 50g SCA
strat1960s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 06:51 AM   #2600
Reefer72
Registered Member

pre-drilled holes

How many pre-drilled holes in the overflow section on the SC50?

Reefer72 is offline   Reply With Quote