Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2015, 09:11 PM   #76
jason2459
Registered Member

I have not had a single blade break on my original gyre yet. More rugged versions are out. Bushings and mounts have been fixed.

I have had minimal maintanence on my gyres. No more than any other powerhead. Agree the cages feel weak but not sure how that can be improved with out effecting flow. You can setup the maxspect gyres to produce flow like any other powerhead if you want.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2015, 05:13 AM   #77
CuzzA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg8r210 View Post
Probably better that you go see one in action instead of telling people what it can and can't do.

It has no problem whatsoever making waves and rocking the water back and forth like any of the powerheads. With an Apex it will have no issue recreating reef crest mode like a Vortech. Where I think it stands head and shoulders above the rest is that it will do this with a much wider flow. I have about 200 armor of god polyps within 10" of my Gyre (on full blast) and they are all wide open. When my mp60 was there the polyps were closed up. I have to move the direct flow of the mp60 further to the front of the glass to not **** off the polyps. The gyre literally is blowing right into them.

Lastly, in my 6' long tank, I can see water strong water movement from the gyre about 5' across the tank. My mp60 is no where close to moving the same amount of water.
My LFS had a demo setup we played with for a while. It's not setup anymore. Despite searching I haven't seen a video of it producing surge type flow. Feel free to share if you can do it.

A side note... My favorite surge maker is the Tunze wave box. That thing really moves large volumes of water. It's impressive.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2015, 06:00 AM   #78
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
Great summary, I wish I new about your frag event since now I am much closer to you.
Constant probation...

Are you using jebao return pumps?
If you are in Clearwater, are you aware of the BBQ/coral auction event in Venice, FL (south of you and north of me) on Nov 14th? If not, we need to talk! It would be cool to met up with you there! BTW, where did you live before?

I do use Jebao DC12000 pumps. One in each sump, one running a CL (external) and one sitting on a shelf for 2 years now waiting for one of the other 3 to have an 'issue'. But it just sits there waiting for it's chance to go to work!

Unread 11/11/2015, 11:57 PM   #79
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Any idea of a release date for these yet

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 02:30 AM   #80
RobTheReefer
Moved Elsewhere

I'll take two please.

RobTheReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 02:39 PM   #81
fishbox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernam invalid View Post
any idea of a release date for these yet
+1

fishbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 08:47 AM   #82
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

I saw some pictures on the fish street facebook page of what looked like a gyre and also a new controller but no information and no release date.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 10:45 AM   #83
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
If you don't want your product to get ripped, don't build it in China.
Best comment in this thread....

best regards .. Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 05:38 PM   #84
acabgd
Registered Member

First photo I've seen

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 06:27 PM   #85
chercm
Registered Member

still waiting for it to be launched.

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 06:49 PM   #86
gcarroll
Registered Member

I'm amazed that that is the only picture of that pump. I will bet they will have the strong fight on their hands when they try to sell it.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 06:38 AM   #87
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
I'm amazed that that is the only picture of that pump. I will bet they will have the strong fight on their hands when they try to sell it.
Unlikely, the cost of the fight is more than the profit from the pump for Maxspect. Just look at all the effort they put into going after Jebao on the wave maker pumps. And still they sell like hotcakes.

Unread 11/21/2015, 07:21 AM   #88
jrp1588
Registered Member

I will say this is their most blatant copy yet. Their prop pumps look like Tunze, but operate like Ecotech. This seems to be just directly lifted from Maxxspect's design.

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 09:32 AM   #89
karimwassef
Registered Member

The cross flow blade and fan was patented in 1893 by Paul Mortier in France.

https://www.google.com/patents/US507445

The patent ran out before the last century.

Cross flow, squirrel cage, tangential, tubular designs have been used in industrial and commercial fans, blowers, pumps, compressors and generators for about a century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_fan

They've been made of plastic for decades.

Connecting one to DC pump and putting it in a fish tank looks obvious. So I don't see an innovation breakthrough here. This is very old and very common technology.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 09:40 AM   #90
karimwassef
Registered Member

Using one on either side of a motor is also popular

http://www.cyberskt.com/ac-cross-dual.htm

Maybe they have a patent on quick connect/disconnect of the impellers, or how to increase reliability with a lot of particulates in the water...

Just looking at the videos and description, I haven't identified anything special. Anyone else?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 11/21/2015, 09:45 AM   #91
jrp1588
Registered Member

I don't disagree, most cars have a plastic squirrel cage blower motor after all. I was just saying this is the closest copy they've made yet.

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 10:21 AM   #92
karimwassef
Registered Member

If you have a microwave, it's in there too. Those are usually DC motors.

Unread 11/21/2015, 10:58 PM   #93
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
If you don't want your product to get ripped, don't build it in China.
This x1000.

This is what these companies get for trying to maximize their margins and still sell their crap at a premium price.

If both these companies manufactured this stuff in the states and created jobs for Americans, and paid their share of the taxes for Americans, this would never happen. But nooo, they got to get the cost of the impeller down from 5 bucks a unit to .50 cents a unit and still keep the MSRP as high as feasibly possible.

Karma baby. No sympathy here.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 03:49 AM   #94
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
This x1000.

This is what these companies get for trying to maximize their margins and still sell their crap at a premium price.

If both these companies manufactured this stuff in the states and created jobs for Americans, and paid their share of the taxes for Americans, this would never happen. But nooo, they got to get the cost of the impeller down from 5 bucks a unit to .50 cents a unit and still keep the MSRP as high as feasibly possible.

Today's economy is global so who can produce a product for less wins, I have no issues with that. Pricing is for the most part determined buy what the consumer will pay. The problem with China is they don't respect patents nor have the manufacture regulations we have.

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 04:14 AM   #95
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
This x1000.

If thats the case then why is tunze pumps copied, everything but the magnet is made in germany.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:13 AM   #96
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Maxspect is a Chinese company.

chris@CoralVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:47 AM   #97
seamonster124
Registered Member

Is there vid of the Jebao gyre?

Unread 11/22/2015, 08:04 AM   #98
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

+1000 for what karimwassif said in post #89.

This isn't new technology and copying the 'look' of a pump is the worst thing they do, I don't see a big issue. I don't like the really over inflated prices that many Big Brand companies introduce new products with, but that's their business. On the other hand, if they get competition from low end manufacturers from anywhere, that's what they opened themselves up to. If the Maxspec gyre were priced at $125 instead of $225 maybe the copycats wouldn't try and rush in?

Unread 11/22/2015, 08:57 AM   #99
dmatt56
Registered Member

Right there with you Ron

dmatt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 09:39 AM   #100
seamonster124
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
+1000 for what karimwassif said in post #89.

I don't like the really over inflated prices that many Big Brand companies introduce new products....they get competition from low end manufacturers from anywhere, that's what they opened themselves up to. If the Maxspec gyre were priced at $125 instead of $225 maybe the copycats wouldn't try and rush in?
Exactly! Although retailers are a big part of the reason a pump that moves water around a tank should cost $400. You'd be amazed how high the mark-up is on some of these products.

Jebao's middle man is some guy on ebay trying to make $20 off each pump. The other manufacturer's middle men are dozens of big name corporate websites earning tens of millions a year.

Last edited by seamonster124; 11/22/2015 at 09:49 AM.
seamonster124 is offline   Reply With Quote