Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2016, 04:27 AM   #1
OhMatic
Registered Member

Algae Scrubber vs Algae Reactor

Algae Scrubber vs Algae Reactor?

Which is a better/faster avenue for nutrient export?

OhMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 04:41 AM   #2
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

I've never used an algae scrubber.
But my ARID E18 reduced my PO4 levels from 0.08 to 0.00 in 11 days.
ARID E18 Phosphate Control.

I'm not disparaging algae scrubbers at all. I've just never used one.

I think a better question is which method is easier to use and maintain over the long haul.

Whichever one of those methods works best for you is the one you should use.

Unread 03/21/2016, 07:30 AM   #3
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
I've never used an algae scrubber.
But my ARID E18 reduced my PO4 levels from 0.08 to 0.00 in 11 days.
ARID E18 Phosphate Control.
Just opened that thread to look at the pictures and that thing looks massive! I'll actually have a read now.

My ATS has only been up for 3 weeks now and I will already swear by them and recommend them.

I have a pretty bad nutrient problem so my algae growth has really taken off. And I have seen a very significant decrease in algae in just the last 3 weeks.

I did a lot of reading about scrubbers before I decided to build one and basically it's just like growing macro algae in a fuge, except the macro is on steroids. Kind of comparable to the algae reactor posted above, but IMO still just a bit more effective.

Read the guide on how to size, light and get the correct flow for a scrubber which is found in the algae turf scrubber basics thread. Then you can correctly size an ATS for your system so it can really kick ***.

Just a note: you don't need to have an ATS in a box for it to work well, I just prefer to keep the light contained as my stand is currently open.

Building the DIY box

Finished box over the sump

Screen after 5 days (first cleaning)

Screen after 14 days (second cleaning)

An example of some of my rocks from 4 weeks ago (left) and this week (right). A lot of snails were added 2 months ago but until the ATS was added the algae would grow faster than the snails could eat it. I was pulling out 2 cups of algae and it would be back in less than a week, even with the snails. Now the snails can eat the algae and it doesn't grow back thanks to the ATS.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 08:19 AM   #4
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMatic View Post

Use both, and you can't go wrong...

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 09:25 AM   #5
BCool
Registered Member

I think the turf algae on an ats would probably be able to adjust growth quicker that the chaeto in the reactor.

Current Tank Info: 26"x26"x18" BB Cube w\ats and led, 12g Nano Cube
BCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 04:09 PM   #6
OhMatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCool View Post
I think the turf algae on an ats would probably be able to adjust growth quicker that the chaeto in the reactor.
BCool
Just curious, Why do you think the ATS would be able to adjust growth quicker? Does Chaeto grow slower?

Unread 03/21/2016, 04:41 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Not sure I really see why that would be?

I would think that the two would be equivalent export mechanisms. What's a more interesting question to me is whether growing chaeto in a dedicated reactor is superior to growing it in a refugium. I run both an ATS and chaeto in large refugium (nominally 40 gallons), and am planning to experiment with a DIY chaeto reactor as well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 05:11 PM   #8
BCool
Registered Member

In my previous experience the ATs has removed more nutrients quicker than any other calurpa or chaeto, hair algae grows really quickly.

Current Tank Info: 26"x26"x18" BB Cube w\ats and led, 12g Nano Cube
BCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 10:13 PM   #9
ArmanS
Registered Member

I'm going to be running a L4 Turbo Scrubber and a Pax Bellum 24 Arid Reactor. If I had to choose one I would probably go with the ATS simply because its much cheaper, you can DIY fairly easily.

If I were you I would DIY a scrubber and see how its working. I see more and more people who used to have Chaeto tumbling in their sump / refugium and switched it to ATS with great success.

Having said that, from the people who I've talked with who have used the Arid reactor, they have been extremely impressed.

Unread 03/22/2016, 12:00 AM   #10
OhMatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I'm going to be running a L4 Turbo Scrubber and a Pax Bellum 24 Arid Reactor. If I had to choose one I would probably go with the ATS simply because its much cheaper, you can DIY fairly easily.

If I were you I would DIY a scrubber and see how its working. I see more and more people who used to have Chaeto tumbling in their sump / refugium and switched it to ATS with great success.

Having said that, from the people who I've talked with who have used the Arid reactor, they have been extremely impressed.
ArmanS
I have been running a L4 Turbo/HF ATS for over a year and it is not enough.... I simply don't have sump space for in-sump Chaeto growth. I have an Algae reactor on order.
I am setting up an additional tank and haven't decided ATS vs Reactor or both...

Are you currently running a L4? I personally think recommendations for ATSs are over rated. Why aren't you going to use a L8 with the ARID 24?

wildman926
I assume both would be better than either one, but I don't have the space for the new tank I'm setting up....

Unread 03/22/2016, 02:18 AM   #11
morgoanie
Registered Member

I run both an ATS and chaeto in large refugium

morgoanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 06:50 AM   #12
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Not sure I really see why that would be?

I would think that the two would be equivalent export mechanisms. What's a more interesting question to me is whether growing chaeto in a dedicated reactor is superior to growing it in a refugium.
Light disperses from a source quite rapidly, which I think would give the ARID the potential to be more energy efficient, though that is only one factor among many to be considered. I suspect that maintenance may be more challenging than a refugium.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 09:04 AM   #13
reefwiser
Registered Member

For equipment junkies I would think the ARID would ring a bunch of bells. An algae scrubber will do the same work. Maybe not as sexy as an ARID.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 09:48 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Light disperses from a source quite rapidly, which I think would give the ARID the potential to be more energy efficient, though that is only one factor among many to be considered. I suspect that maintenance may be more challenging than a refugium.
As I noted above, I've built a large chaeto reactor and will be hooking it up at some point in the next few weeks, so will find out for myself. I don't find much hair algae growth amongst the chaeto in my refugium, though I do have some cyano growth. I think the key to an algae reactor is the ability to get your arm into it to clean the sides.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/22/2016, 10:22 AM   #15
outy
Moved On

Quote:

Its a question of wattage used, ATS wins hands down.

You can grow chaeto under a powerful light in clean water, but you can grow GHA with low wattage in clean water.

Chaeto for me under 30w of light grows like crazy for 6 weeks until the water is cleaned up then dies off.

As to where I can always harvest my ATS under 30w lights.

Now if you water is not the cleanest because you feed like crazy, you can grow or use both methods with success.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 04:16 PM   #16
OhMatic
Registered Member

ca1ore
your stated "as I noted above, I've built a large Chaeto..." Sorry I must have missed the above statement.... I understood you were planning to experiment with a DIY... How big is the reactor you have built? what is the design like? Is it center or outer light design? I am considering a DIY algae reactor...
Also you said "I think the key to an algae reactor is the ability to get your arm into it to clean the sides." I assume the ARID and ClearTides Algae Reactors use a light in the center design so that you only need to clean the center tube holding the lights. Which would be much easier(smaller area) to clean than the inside walls of a reactor tube.

Last edited by OhMatic; 03/22/2016 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 03/22/2016, 08:01 PM   #17
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Which would be much easier(smaller area) to clean than the inside walls of a reactor tube.

No issues cleaning the inside of my DIY converted Aquamaxx reactor.

Unread 03/22/2016, 09:05 PM   #18
OhMatic
Registered Member

wildman926
That looks like pretty good growth. How often do you take that much out?
If I had an extra reactor I would probably do a design similar to yours, but I don't and my tank is in a room with no AC. This morning at 10:00am my tank was 82.5 degrees and although I don't think higher temps hurt too much(the waters my fish come from frequently runs 85) I don't want to add a source of heat either

Unread 03/22/2016, 09:44 PM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
ca1ore
your stated "as I noted above, I've built a large Chaeto..." Sorry I must have missed the above statement.... I understood you were planning to experiment with a DIY... How big is the reactor you have built? what is the design like? Is it center or outer light design? I am considering a DIY algae reactor...
Also you said "I think the key to an algae reactor is the ability to get your arm into it to clean the sides." I assume the ARID and ClearTides Algae Reactors use a light in the center design so that you only need to clean the center tube holding the lights. Which would be much easier(smaller area) to clean than the inside walls of a reactor tube.
Here is the one I have built; not yet in service though.

No idea how well it will work, or how maintenance intensive it will be. 20W strip light wrapped around the outside of an old skimmer body (6" diameter; 24" tall) with aluminum tape to act as light block and heat sink.

Unread 03/22/2016, 09:57 PM   #20
OhMatic
Registered Member

Ca1ore
Your DIY algae reactor looks nice! How thick are your top and bottom pieces?
I was thinking of making the same thing size wise 6" X 24". I'm still debating putting lights on the inside vs outside. My feeling is the inside lights would require less cleaning/scrubbing area wise and less time to clean...

Unread 03/22/2016, 11:33 PM   #21
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
ArmanS
I have been running a L4 Turbo/HF ATS for over a year and it is not enough.... I simply don't have sump space for in-sump Chaeto growth. I have an Algae reactor on order.
I am setting up an additional tank and haven't decided ATS vs Reactor or both...

Are you currently running a L4? I personally think recommendations for ATSs are over rated. Why aren't you going to use a L8 with the ARID 24?
I am waiting on the new rev 4 L4s that will be released in May / June.

I do not think I will need an L8 even with a 450g display tank. I will be running an L4, Arid 24, BK SM 250, and a 80w UV. Between the Skimmer, Arid 24 and ATS that is more then sufficient.

Unread 03/23/2016, 12:56 AM   #22
OhMatic
Registered Member

ArmanS
Wow! a "450g display tank." that sounds massive to me... but I guess what matters more is the amount of nutrients you add to it each day...
I have a L4(on a "small tank"), an oversized skimmer, Biopellet reactor and a 36w UV filter. I was surprised that I still get GHA growth in my display... I have an algae reactor on order and hopefully that will do the trick.
My point was simply I think the L4 recommendations are over rated... I do try to over size my filtration but that's just me.

Unread 03/23/2016, 08:24 AM   #23
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
wildman926
That looks like pretty good growth. How often do you take that much out?
If I had an extra reactor I would probably do a design similar to yours, but I don't and my tank is in a room with no AC. This morning at 10:00am my tank was 82.5 degrees and although I don't think higher temps hurt too much(the waters my fish come from frequently runs 85) I don't want to add a source of heat either
That removal was the "initial hit", removed after two months in October. I am about to remove a load again.

I like having the led's outside. The heat sinks get to dissipate heat without adding heat to the tank, and if one fails, I can notice it readily, it wont be too much of an affect on the operation of the unit, and I can change it at my leisure.

Unread 03/23/2016, 10:04 AM   #24
OhMatic
Registered Member

wildman926
Thanks, So how often do you need to "clean" your algae reactor? I have never grown Chaeto as a nutrient export...
Do you clean your ATS weekly?

I have to clean my ATS weekly or it starts to clog up.

Unread 03/23/2016, 10:36 AM   #25
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I do not think I will need an L8 even with a 450g display tank. .
Remember

The size of your ATS is determined by how much you feed not the size of the tank.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote