Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 04:25 PM   #1626
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Haven't been on this thread in a while ..... but I seem to recall that CP was a single dose, not a daily dose? I do think with some of these potentially dodgy sources you never really know what you are getting. CP is an accepted med for malaria in humans .....
Yes, you are correct. Its a dose once and thats it. Except when adjusting for water changed.
Also agree with the fact thats important where you get the CP from. Best place to get it is from diamondback_com since they test every batch for purity and the ones purchased from ebay or other places could not really be what they say it is or not in the best pure form.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 10:21 AM   #1627
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Does CP evaporate as water evaporates? I currently have about a half gallon a day water evaporate from QT tank. I keep topping off everyday and just wanted to make sure cp doesn't evaporate too. Is there any way to test for cp in the water?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170, my reef tank. 180 gal FOWLR tank
MrsBugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 10:27 AM   #1628
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBugmaster View Post
Does CP evaporate as water evaporates? I currently have about a half gallon a day water evaporate from QT tank. I keep topping off everyday and just wanted to make sure cp doesn't evaporate too. Is there any way to test for cp in the water?
No the CP won't evaporate

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 06:30 AM   #1629
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

not aware of any testing kits or methods for CP

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 06:57 AM   #1630
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

You can test for it with a spectrophotometer. I was advised to buy a Hach spectrophotometer but they aren't cheap. Needless to say I still can't test for CP. Also I would imagine there is a fairly steep learning curve to the instrument if you have never used one.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 03/02/2018, 11:30 AM   #1631
Louis Z
Registered Member

Dennis 30 , I too have had issues with cp . I had some Bangii cardinals that succumbed . I feel that cp was more the cause . That’s one reason why I do ttm additionally. I had problems with hypo not doing well with cardinals also . But that maybe just my issues . When I dose cp I try to do the 40 instead of the 80mg/gal and do TTM during the treatment time span with quick FW dips in between transfers . Seems overkill but I like the lower dose and the way TTM is not medication . I do all three if I know if I have ick . If I don’t see ick the I go wth TTM and FW dips in between .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 04:58 PM   #1632
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Does anyone have true USP CP from a compounding pharmacy? Can you PM me?

I bought the equipment needed to test CP.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 12:41 AM   #1633
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Does anyone have true USP CP from a compounding pharmacy? Can you PM me?

I bought the equipment needed to test CP.
Ok... after a few trial runs I'm confident this is testing properly. My first chart... green line is what my tank measured. At 25mg/Gal it's about half of what I would have expected.

If someone can get me some known pure USP grade CP I'll be able to create an accurate slope and then I'll be able to measure the purity of these random sources. Let's stop guessing about our CP concentrations. Enough running in circles.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 06:13 AM   #1634
ganeshremedies
Registered Member

Location: Plot No. 6011, G.I.D.C Estate, Ankleshwar, Gujarat, India - 393002.
to remove any metabolites or degraded chemical, which may be in solution, is recommended. Also, since phosphate is part of the compound's formula, the use of this compound will tend to increase the concentration of this undesirable algae nutrient, if by no other reason than default. Besides a water change, the use of phosphate-removing media may be required after the treatment has ended. And as with most chemicals, activated carbon should be placed back in the filter to remove the remaining drug from solution, and to fully terminate the treatment.

Current Tank Info: ganeshremedies
ganeshremedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 06:56 AM   #1635
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Ok... after a few trial runs I'm confident this is testing properly. My first chart... green line is what my tank measured. At 25mg/Gal it's about half of what I would have expected.

If someone can get me some known pure USP grade CP I'll be able to create an accurate slope and then I'll be able to measure the purity of these random sources. Let's stop guessing about our CP concentrations. Enough running in circles.
You will need to go to the local vet and tell them that you need a prescription for your fish for ich and tell them you need CP. There is a company diamond back or diamond something out of Arizona that will provide you 99% pure CP that they get from a place in Canada and they test each and every batch that they get and send it back if it doesn't meet their standards. You could PM Humblefish and get the actual name of the place I am talking about. My memory isn't the best so I apologize

Unread 02/13/2019, 11:20 AM   #1636
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I just got an order filled from diamondback that came in. PM me and I will provide you with a sample.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 07:17 PM   #1637
HumbleFish
Moved On

Just wanted to add a few observations to this thread...

1. I'm not a chemist, but I have a friend who is and he tests my Chloroquine. He has informed me that a spectrophotometer is not really suitable for testing CP because the photometer "sees" everything that absorbs UV light of a certain wavelength. So it can not distinguish between actual CP and (most likely ineffective) metabolites present in the water.

2. He uses a HPLC with UV detection to test Chloroquine in the water. That equipment is ~ 50k USD.

3. Diamondback Drugs sell pharmaceutical grade (99% pure) CP, but they also require a vet Rx: https://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/

4. Backup plan would be CP from one of the two sources below. Their CP has tested 94-96% pure, which is adequate for our purposes. Just overdose slightly to compensate.

https://www.fishchemical.com/FULL-PR...2937.Item.html

https://store.nationalfishpharm.com/...uine-phosphate

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 04:23 AM   #1638
ganeshremedies
Registered Member

Further research led to finding some public aquariums experimenting with it and having very good success treating the above-mentioned maladies, including Uronema. Early experiments with the product showed that while much safer and less toxic than other traditional treatments of the past, it did have a negative effect on alga. Therefore, aquarium alga and invertebrates containing zooxanthellae were at risk, which were witnessed firsthand in some early experiments, where some soft and stony corals perished (L. Ichinotsubo, pers. com.). Nevertheless, Richard Terrell of the Pittsburgh Zoo Aquarium & PPG Aquarium has reported using chloroquine-dosed gel foods to halt an outbreak of Cryptocaryon in a giant clam exhibit, with excellent results and credits Robyn Doege of the Dallas World Aquarium for providing the information.

In a preparation of the gel food that is made at the aquarium, Rich states: "I used our Metronidazole gel recipe to arrive at an approximation for the Chloroquine. Metro is mixed at 625mg/100g gel diet to yield 25mg/Kg body weight. Chloroquine is supposed to be 50mg/Kg. So I added 3.7g of Chloroquine phosphate to 300g gel powder. Then I added hot water to make the consistency I want. I estimated about 100-125g of fish in the exhibit. Figuring a little less than one part gel powder and medication mixture per one part water by weight, I arrived at about 4 g of gel food per feed. For the garlic gel I mixed about a third of one container of garlic powder into roughly 300g gel powder. Then I added hot water and mixed."

Unread 02/25/2019, 04:24 AM   #1639
ganeshremedies
Registered Member

Further research led to finding some public aquariums experimenting with it and having very good success treating the above-mentioned maladies, including Uronema. Early experiments with the product showed that while much safer and less toxic than other traditional treatments of the past, it did have a negative effect on alga. Therefore, aquarium alga and invertebrates containing zooxanthellae were at risk, which were witnessed firsthand in some early experiments, where some soft and stony corals perished (L. Ichinotsubo, pers. com.). Nevertheless, Richard Terrell of the Pittsburgh Zoo Aquarium & PPG Aquarium has reported using chloroquine-dosed gel foods to halt an outbreak of Cryptocaryon in a giant clam exhibit, with excellent results and credits Robyn Doege of the Dallas World Aquarium for providing the information.

In a preparation of the gel food that is made at the aquarium, Rich states: "I used our Metronidazole gel recipe to arrive at an approximation for the Chloroquine. Metro is mixed at 625mg/100g gel diet to yield 25mg/Kg body weight. Chloroquine is supposed to be 50mg/Kg. So I added 3.7g of Chloroquine phosphate to 300g gel powder. Then I added hot water to make the consistency I want. I estimated about 100-125g of fish in the exhibit. Figuring a little less than one part gel powder and medication mixture per one part water by weight, I arrived at about 4 g of gel food per feed. For the garlic gel I mixed about a third of one container of garlic powder into roughly 300g gel powder. Then I added hot water and mixed."
Cyclopropanecarbonitrile-CAS NO.- 5500-21-0 |Methyl cyclopropanecarboxylate-CAS NO.- 2868-37-3 |Cyclopropanecarboxamide-CAS NO.- 6228-73-5 |2-Furoic acid-CAS NO.- 88-14-2 |1-(2-Chloroethyl)pyrrolidine hydrochloride-CAS NO.- 7250-67-1 |thien-4-yl-piperazine-Monohydrochloride]1-Benzo[b]thien-4-yl-piperazine Monohydrochloride-CAS NO.- 913614-18-3 |7-(4-Bromobutoxy)-3,4-dihydro-2(1H)-quinolinone-CAS NO.- 129722-34-5 |Tyramine Hydrochloride-CAS NO.- 60-19-5 |1,2-Cyclohexanedicarboxylic acid-CAS NO.- 1687-30-5 |Dibenzosuberone-CAS NO.- 1210-35-1 |Methyl 4-chlorobutyrate-CAS NO.- 3153-37-5 |

Unread 12/17/2019, 02:19 PM   #1640
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Does anyone know the dosage when used as an algaecide?
Thanks

Unread 12/17/2019, 04:42 PM   #1641
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Does anyone know the dosage when used as an algaecide?
Thanks
20mg/gal ought to do it. Chloroquine is a strong algaecide even at low levels.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2019, 04:51 PM   #1642
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Thank you.