Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2017, 01:11 AM   #1
nijemho
Registered Member

No Nitrates?!?!

Hello,

i have Reefer 350 ( 93 Gal ) system which is 2 months old. The tank cycled within 10 days and i had live stock in there since then.

i have only done 2 (30%) water changes since then, but my nitrates are still showing ZERO. i have checked with the API test kit and yesterday i bought the redsea test kit and still showing ZERO nitrates. is this possible? i feed once a day and have a bubble magus 5 protein skimmer.

the reason i am concerned is that i want to start dosing NOPOX for nitrate/phosphate control , but I'm confused on what to do now

nijemho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 02:52 AM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

How do you cycle your tank for 10days?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Dan_P
Registered Member

Sounds like there is not a nutrient export issue that needs fixing.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 07:09 AM   #4
JTL
Registered Member

Why do you want to start dosing to control something that is non-existent or are there phosphates and just no nitrates? I have a 3 month old tank of similar size and I have minimal if not zero nitrates and phosphates. Some say corals need some nitrates. I have a mixed reef and so far everything is doing well except for a green slimmer that I lost early on. I cannot grow chaeto but also do not have any hair algae.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 09:09 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
Why do you want to start dosing to control something that is non-existent or are there phosphates and just no nitrates?.
because its what the cool kids do and its the only way to have a successful tank.. duh..
probably got the GFO reactor already fired up and running full bore too with no phosphates..

Unread 10/25/2017, 09:18 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

oh.. I get it now..
They are following Red Seas "in a perfect world" recipe... With the day by day do this then that because we guarantee your tank is doing exactly this and variables are just fictitious things that really don't happen so we don't "teach" you how to maintain a tank just take our word for it and drink the koolaid....

Unread 10/25/2017, 09:27 AM   #7
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijemho View Post
the reason i am concerned is that i want to start dosing NOPOX for nitrate/phosphate control , but I'm confused on what to do now
Nothing. Do Nothing. Just slow down and continue to test.

My tank is almost 4 years old and I have never done any type of Nitrate control method, in fact I now add it. I did run GFO for the first couple years to control phosphate but don't run that anymore either.

Unless you are seeing high levels of either, there is no need to add any filtration or method to reduce it. It IS possible to have too clean of a tank.

Unread 10/25/2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
because its what the cool kids do and its the only way to have a successful tank.. duh..
probably got the GFO reactor already fired up and running full bore too with no phosphates..
Quote:
oh.. I get it now..
They are following Red Seas "in a perfect world" recipe... With the day by day do this then that because we guarantee your tank is doing exactly this and variables are just fictitious things that really don't happen so we don't "teach" you how to maintain a tank just take our word for it and drink the koolaid....
I'm sure this was helpful to the OP. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 10:22 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
You are welcome..

Unread 10/25/2017, 12:42 PM   #10
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Slightly sarcastic but conveys to OP that maybe doing things because others do it isn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Does nothing for OP...

Op, don't bother dosing what isn't needed, guide or not. That is a decent sized tank, what do you have for livestock?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 04:35 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

Those results seem completely normal. The tank might stay at zero nitrate indefinitely, depending on the bio-load and the amount of live rock filtration. I wouldn't worry. What is the phosphate level?