Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2018, 06:25 AM   #151
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

HI Dolphin,
My job is keeping me quite busy, so I haven't had a chance to make new pictures or vids this past year. Hopefully I will have a bit of spare time over Christmas. The tank is running well, I have to cut back the corals every now and then, but that's about it. My two yellow tangs have now celebrated their 20th anniversary, I lost one marine betta aged 27 but the partner is still going strong. I replaced one Tunze Stream 6200 from 2004 with a Panta Rhei Hydrowizard 42, and I added a Theiling Rollermat Fleece filter.
cheers
Jens

Jens Kallmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2018, 03:16 PM   #152
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

As promised, here is a new video

Unread 12/26/2018, 03:42 AM   #153
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

The last link did not work. Please use this one
https://youtu.be/wixHHd-u6qM

Unread 12/26/2018, 01:09 PM   #154
pfan151
Registered Member

Great looking tank. Sucks when you run out of room in a 400gal though. 400 is my dream size. My 210 is already starting to restrict what I can put in it.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 02:18 PM   #155
randoma
Registered Member

Do you have someone feed the tank while you're traveling? Or do you have some sort of autofeeder setup?

randoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 03:42 PM   #156
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoma View Post
Do you have someone feed the tank while you're traveling? Or do you have some sort of autofeeder setup?
As most of my travel is job related my partner stays at home, so he can take care of the feeding and basic maintenance (top up the ATO tank, clean skimmer etc.). He calls himself a "marine aquarium affected" person....
When the two of us head out together our catsitter takes care of the tank. So far it always worked out well. The sitter has phone numbers of several reefer friends who can help in case of emergency.

Unread 03/02/2019, 10:32 AM   #157
dolphin_swim
Registered Member

The tank is looking so good I want to live in there!! The blue carpet is really extending the tentacles! Yellow tangs at 20 years old are stunning!

A few questions if you don’t mind:

I wonder how the fleece filter has affected the nutrient levels of the tank since added?

What are your current nutrient exporters and current NP levels?

Your dosing regime?

I set up my first proper reef tank less than two years ago using korallenwelt rocks, only because of your beautiful and neat build. I seem to recall somewhere you mentioned about low vanadium in the first couple years and coralline algae stopped growing? Well, my tank has not seen the crazy growth of coralline algae at maybe around the one year mark for a long time. In fact, everything isn’t growing much. Unfortunately I don’t have access to ICP tests (post office says no posting of liquids in the mail). Could you share any trace elements I should consider dosing based on your experience with these rocks?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin_swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 12:16 PM   #158
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Kallmeyer View Post
Time for the annual update,
the tank runs pretty smoothly, the biggest hassle is pruning the corals. Except for a bad incident when adding geoffroy wrasses (first killed my Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus group then each other...) all inhabitants are doing just fine.
Surprised to hear about the Potter’s wrasses. Mine has been super peaceful with my Choati. Your experience makes me a bit nervous. I hadn’t heard of themnbeing that aggressive. Maybe because the cyanoguttatus looks kind of similar?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2019, 09:39 PM   #159
Alexcyf
Registered Member

Magnificent tank!

Alexcyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 03:59 PM   #160
houstonreefer
Registered Member

Go thru the thread and lot of learning. Thanks for sharing

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 10:15 AM   #161
Jens Kallmeyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin_swim View Post
The tank is looking so good I want to live in there!! The blue carpet is really extending the tentacles! Yellow tangs at 20 years old are stunning!

A few questions if you don’t mind:

I wonder how the fleece filter has affected the nutrient levels of the tank since added?

What are your current nutrient exporters and current NP levels?

Your dosing regime?

I set up my first proper reef tank less than two years ago using korallenwelt rocks, only because of your beautiful and neat build. I seem to recall somewhere you mentioned about low vanadium in the first couple years and coralline algae stopped growing? Well, my tank has not seen the crazy growth of coralline algae at maybe around the one year mark for a long time. In fact, everything isn’t growing much. Unfortunately I don’t have access to ICP tests (post office says no posting of liquids in the mail). Could you share any trace elements I should consider dosing based on your experience with these rocks?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Dolphin_swim,
thank you for your appreciation
The fleece filter takes out quite a bit and I noticed a slight decrease in Nitrate, phosphate is pretty low in my tank anyways. I still run an alkohol-fueled Nitrate reductor and some GFO, plus a handful (not more) of activated carbon, changed every 2 weeks. The GFO also takes out a lot of humics and I found the combination of GFO and activated carbon to be optimal to keep the water absolutely clear. My current nutrient levels are ca. 5 ppm Nitrate and 0.04 ppm Phosphate.
Regarding my dosing regime, it's not a lot. Just some Fauna Marine color elements in about 20% of the recommended dosing, plus a few drops of PVP iodine ever other day or so. I do about 5% Water change with Fauna Marin and Tropic Marin Salt every week. That's about it. With Korallenwelt decoration I found it always helpful to cycle the tank in the beginning with very little blue light and no white light for a few weeks. As soon as corraline algae were showing up I slowly increased light levels and added the first soft corals.
Jens

Unread 03/23/2019, 06:25 AM   #162
dolphin_swim
Registered Member

Thank you so much for sharing. Sounds like I should go with a fleece filter since I have no mechanical filtration now and all the debris seems to be making GFO useless as it's clogging whatever I use to hold the media...

dolphin_swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2019, 03:48 PM   #163
748S911
Registered Member

Wao!!! amazing reef Jens.

748S911 is offline   Reply With Quote