Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2019, 08:30 AM   #1
kevin21
Registered Member

50g Waterbox Stock List help

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice so far on my upgrade from a 28g jbj to a 50.3 Waterbox! All of your advice helped the process go very smoothly! My four fish, 2 clowns (1 True Percula, 1 snowflake), flame hawkfish, and a purple pseudochromis are now in the tank and seem to be very happy as of now after the stress of the move.

I know for a fact that the final fish I want to add, is a flame angel. I am well aware that they can be 50/50 with coral.

Before adding the Flame angel last, any other suggestions for another fish? I was thinking the best option would be some type of wrasse? Maybe a blenny?

Obviously I want everything compatible.

Thanks all!

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

I would go wrasse or goby. You dont have anything occupying the ground right now. You have an open swimmer, perch, and cave dweller. Flame angel will be in and out of rockwork

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 07:04 AM   #3
kevin21
Registered Member

Thanks! Yes, the flame will definitely enjoy my style of rocks as well. Tried uploading a picture and it wouldn't work. Never does for me. I should of mentioned a bit more, the tank is barebottom and is a unique 3 feet long for a 50g. Not sure if gobies handle barebottom very well as they like to burrow in sand and make homes? I do love yellow watchman gobies, but I remember how much mine utilized sand. Thoughts?

Also, suggestions on wrasses that can handle 50g with that stock list? Do not know too much about wrasses, other than the six line can be extremely aggressive at times.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
Unread 01/18/2019, 10:14 AM   #4
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Personally, I would go with a wrasse OR the flame angel, but not both. But I'm generally a proponent of lighter stocking/bioloads, so...

But to your question...
Wrasses are great fish and I'll almost always recommend them. I've had a Mystery Wrasse (probably my favorite so far), a Pudding Wife Wrasse (something different), and the obligatory 6-line. All were great fish.

The Candy Hogfish would be my second choice, if not a wrasse.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 12:12 PM   #5
kevin21
Registered Member

Thanks for the input! I do like Melanurus Wrasses. How would a wrasse like that fair in a 50g?

Unread 01/22/2019, 09:20 AM   #6
kevin21
Registered Member

Anyone else have any input on types of wrasses that could work? Or potential other fish that would be a nice add?

Thanks!