Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2012, 10:05 AM   #1
apexi
Registered Member

Swabbie Motor Defect???

I've contacted AVAST but haven't received response in the past couple weeks despite emails and phone calls. Their customer support has been outstanding in the past so perhaps they're just away on vacation??

I've been having a lot of issues with the swabbie motors failing. I'm currently on my 3rd motor and that also has failed. The first 2 were DC motors and apparently these were problematic with failures so they've switched to the more reliable AC motors. My replacement AC motor worked well for a few months and then also failed recently.

Unlike the DC motor failures (whereby the motors themselves died) the actual AC motor is still operational (you could hear it spinning) but the gear box is shot. I've tried to manually turn the shaft and can get it moving temporarily but it locks up shortly thereafter. You can still hear the motor spinning while the gears are "slipping" inside, almost like a clutch. There's plenty of lube in there as some of it is even seeping out the holes. I hope that it's just a string of bad luck with these motors....I'm still waiting for a response back from Avast to find a resolution.

apexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2012, 10:27 AM   #2
apexi
Registered Member

Got a call back from Justin with a replacement motor on its way. Hopefully will have better luck with this one. Great customer support

apexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Maivortex
Registered Member

Ive had the same problems with the swabbie motors. Im on motor # 3 or 4, im losing track. Just sent my back in for repair again. I hope this time it stays operational.

Maivortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Hey guys, just wanted to give you some detailed info on this.

When Swabbie was release 2 years ago it had already been in testing for a year and there were no obvious problems. About 1 year ago we started seening a few (5%) come back to us for repairs. We saw some slight leaking at the motor shaft seal and decided to redesign the seal. During that redesign we also switched to 12v motors to make it easier to send our Swabbies worldwide. When we release this version (tested for 6 months) we immediately saw a large number of units fail, we assumed it was the motors since our ac motors have had an incredible track record and immediately changed back to them. After about 3 more months we still saw a higher than usual number of units failing (10%). We then realized it was the improved seal that was adding friction to the drive shaft and promptly changed to the current motor. The new motor is ac and the same series as the original version except it has 6x the torque output and now turns at 1rpm. It is rock solid and by far the best Swabbie we have ever built.

So yes, there have been a few problems over the years but there has always been a drive to improve the products we make, sometimes the results are mixed but it is always for the better in the end. We stand behind our products and have extended Swabbie warranty's way past thier expiration to prove that.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Maivortex
Registered Member

Thanks for the great Customer service! I like the new 1 rpm motor.

Maivortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 01:43 PM   #6
bad santa
SCRK member

I must have a lucky swabbie. I sometimes forget that I left it on for days and when I realize my mistake I unplug it and its still working I should put that thing on a timer one day.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"
"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger

Current Tank Info: working on establishing a 32 Gal. Nano-Cube
bad santa is offline   Reply With Quote