Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2006, 06:57 PM   #51
tygger
Registered Member

Ammonia and trites just hit zero this weekend. Time for large water change to bring the trates down.

I'm starting to get a algae bloom... I've also seen a few very small snails and a bunch of small feather dusters pop out.

Still trying to imagine how I want to aquascape the tank. Not sure if I want to do two separate islands, two islands connected by a small bridge or a plain wall???

How's your tank coming along?

Unread 04/19/2006, 08:00 PM   #52
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

been working a lot so im kinda pressed for time. I pretty much bought everything i need to start the tank, so hopefully this weekend i can do the plumbing and a test run.

By the way i know that your running that submerged standpipe along with the back up durso for drainage. Is that method working good for you? I think im going to try to soft plumb my drainage first to see if its quiet enough, and then try your method if it doesnt work.

Good luck on your tank tho, hope those feather dusters arent those aiptasia things.

ha-y-n salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2006, 10:37 AM   #53
tygger
Registered Member

Actually, the back-up isn't a Durso either. I used the adjustable tube that came with the AGA durso kit, but not the top that makes it a Durso.

To be honest, I can't really remember why I'm not using the a Durso on the backup. The regular ole' stand pipe is working great and can handle A LOT of flow. I have it about 1 cm down from the overflow.

My sump was running low one day (dont have a auto topoff yet) and I dumped 3g of RO/DI water from a bucket directly into display and the backup worked beautifully. I'm not talking about slowly pouring 3g in, I simply dumped 3g to see what would happen.

I don't know how many gph it can handle on it's own... guess I should've tested by closing the main drain during the water testing stage to see if the emergency could handle the Mag9.5.

Now that I have the gatevalve dialed in, I dont want to tinker with it!

Let me know how it goes...

Unread 04/20/2006, 10:50 AM   #54
oak211
Premium Member

I just set up my 72 a few weeks ago and used the same drain system. I originally had the durso set up on the 1" and the return thru the 3/4". Now I have the main drain on the 3/4 with a ball valve and the durso as an emergency. Completely silent!

oak211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2006, 12:32 PM   #55
tygger
Registered Member

Hey Oak, got any pics?

So you're using the smaller bulkhead (3/4) as your main drain??? and the larger 1" as your emergency???

Unread 04/20/2006, 01:10 PM   #56
oak211
Premium Member

yeah.. i figured that if the main drain gets clogged for whatever reason I know the larger one can handle it. I'm only running about 5.5x turnover in my sump so the 3/4 has no problem.

I'll try to post some pics when I figure out how to host them somewhere.

Unread 04/20/2006, 01:52 PM   #57
oak211
Premium Member

Best picture that I had at work

Unread 04/20/2006, 03:29 PM   #58
tygger
Registered Member

Looking good! I like the black background... The way your rocks are aquascaped looks almost identical to mine right now. lol

Post pics and details of your setup when u get a chance.

Unread 04/20/2006, 04:09 PM   #59
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I say leave the rock how it is, looks cool!

Unread 04/20/2006, 08:02 PM   #60
tygger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
I say leave the rock how it is, looks cool!
Who?

Unread 04/21/2006, 05:20 AM   #61
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

The thread stater.

Unread 04/21/2006, 04:29 PM   #62
tygger
Registered Member

LOL. I've already moved the rocks around twice... Here's what the tank looked like when I broke up the big piece of rock on the left of the original pic.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Unread 04/21/2006, 04:32 PM   #63
tygger
Registered Member

Here's what it looks like right now. I'm starting to get an algae bloom... you can see the brown patches at the bottom right of the tank.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Unread 04/21/2006, 04:44 PM   #64
fireresq42
Moved On

Kalini Rock???

fireresq42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2006, 05:27 PM   #65
tygger
Registered Member

The Euroreef is a quality built skimmer. It was skimming like crazy during the cycling period, but has slowed down considerably 4 weeks later. The rock is Fiji Pukani Fused Porites or just pukani for short.

Unread 05/04/2006, 03:09 AM   #66
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

tygger... hows things going for you? I got a few more questions for you.

Unread 05/04/2006, 03:13 AM   #67
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

1. what kind of mods did you do to your skimmer?
2. can you post a pic of your tank with the lights on top? Also can your canopy fit over the lights?
3. Did you join the main drain with the emergency drain before it hits the sump? Or do they both run to the sump seperately?

Thanks for the help.

Unread 05/04/2006, 06:33 PM   #68
tygger
Registered Member

I've been really busy lately so I'm just letting nature take its course. It's ready for fish, but I'm in no hurry right now...

1. Only mod I did was the gate valve mod. Not sure if the threads are still here since they were in the Euroreef section before it was removed.

2. I don't have a canopy on the tank. Just egg crate covering the top with the fixture on legs. I'll try and get a pic.

3. Nope. The main drain is split to the skimmer and fuge section and the emergency goes straight down to the skimmer section.

How's your tank going???

Unread 05/05/2006, 02:07 AM   #69
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

its going nowhere right now...too busy with work and stuff. HOPEFULLY this weekend ill do the plumbing. Im going to Vegas next week so i cant really start it anyway, but if i can plumb it and give it a test run, i can start the tank when i get back...HOPEFULLY.

thanks again for the help

Unread 05/18/2006, 03:24 AM   #70
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

hey tygger...
is herbies method still working for u? also did you put anything underneath your return pump, or is it just laying on the bottom of the glass in the sump?

one more thing...how much did your lights cost, and where did you get it from.

Thanks

Unread 05/18/2006, 07:47 AM   #71
tygger
Registered Member

Yea, it's still working. Last week, I started putting in a small cleaner crew of hermits. A local guy gave them to me, but if I have to restock, I'm prob. going to go with mostly snails.

I put a couple layers of neoprene underneath the return pump. It's the stuff diving suits are made of... I had some small pieces laying around. Alternatively, you could use a mouse pad or foam. It'll help reduce the resonance.

I don't remember exactly how much the lights cost since I bought them over a year ago and didn't start using them till I finally got around to finishing my tank. If I could do it over again, I'd find someone to build a canopy and I'd retrofit a kit into it. Cost would have been similar and I would have a canopy. Off the top of my head, I think it was around $700-800, but again, I don't remember exactly. Will need to dig up the receipt. I ordered it online from captivereefs.com, but Coralvue discontinued this model.

How's your tank progressing

Unread 05/30/2006, 09:24 PM   #72
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

hey tygger...
hows things going with your tank? I finally started my tank so i'll get some pictures up a little later. I ended up buying some lights from aquactinics.com. Its a T5HO fixture that fits our bowfronts perfectly, and you can still use the canopy. You should check it out. Post some new pics of your tanks for us...Ha-y-n

Unread 06/01/2006, 05:55 AM   #73
tygger
Registered Member

Does that fixture sit directly on the tank? It's nice cause you can still fit a canopy over it, without it looking ridiculously huge. Definitely post some pics of the fixture on top of your tank and also with it lighting your tank.

Right now, I'm having issues with my ballasts/fixture. When the timer is set to turn on the lights, the ballasts take a long time to fire up the bulbs. I hear the fan in the ballasts turn on and off while trying to fire up the bulbs. The left side turns on much easier than the right. I've tried switching ballasts and the left side continues to work like normal, (most of the time). The right side can take 15mins to a couple hours to fire up. I've tried shortening the length of the cord between the ballast and the bulb and that did nothing. It's pretty frustrating, but at least they're turning on.

Other than that, everything is pretty good. I've transferred the three fish from the 15g. I'm starting to see very small patches of hair green hair algae on some rocks in the display. There's quite a bit of algae in the fuge though... Guess it's the lights I'm using on the fuge.

Will try to get some pics up soon.

Unread 06/01/2006, 02:15 PM   #74
ha-y-n salt
Registered Member

yup the fixture is made to fit right on top the tank...or you can get the brackets the will lift it up a couple inches. I think u can still use the canopy with the brackets. Check out the website...the customer service is very good there too.

Unread 06/01/2006, 03:49 PM   #75
tygger
Registered Member

Those fixtures look pretty good. I've already invested a lot into my current fixture so I'll at least use it for awhile

Here's a pic of the tank. Just taken... let me know what you guys think.