Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2018, 07:43 PM   #1
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Bonding polypropylene to pvc or abs... how?

Ok been reading online and a lot of information about how polypropylene has a low surface energy blah blah blah... basically it's very inert to chemical attack that most cements seem to do.

So what I'm trying to do is use a french drain (channel drain) for a fish room but I need the drain pipe to not leak... and also the end caps, which I think when they're used in their normal function in the ground it's not a huge deal if they leak because they are designed to move large amounts of water and the tiny leaks are inconsequential. But still wondering what I can do, silicone? CA glue? epoxy? is there a weld-on product? some combination of them? Do not have a plastic welding setup, so not this.

I mean plan B is to ditch the channel drain idea, and use a more standard floor drain, but I have very little room to work with from the decking (where it will be) to the concrete pad (No I'm not digging into concrete) and the channel drain having a sideways drain seemed like a good idea.

Unread 06/09/2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

I take it u are running it outside somewhere & not tying it into the house plumbing?

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 10:50 PM   #3
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

No I am tying it into house plumbing, in case you're wondering, yes a p-trap is in the design.

From my exhaustive research seems nothing really bonds to it, but I can use silicone like a gasket as long as I don't need much actual adhesion. I did run across a company that claims they have a formulated hot-glue for it but you need to use their hot glue guns or something, and I'm just not interested in that. Looks like I'll just make some external mechanical fastener and use silicone as a gasket.

Last edited by sfsuphysics; 06/09/2018 at 10:57 PM.
sfsuphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:44 PM   #4
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

This last update for anyone who has a similar question and runs across this in the future.

I ended up using Loctite 2g plastic bonding system, it basically has an activator stick (i'm guessing this is like primer for pvc to clean off the pieces of any grease or what not, and some cyanoacrylate solution (super glue). Either way it worked very well for the application I had in mind as there wasn't much stress on the joint, it basically had to be water tight and be able to hold back the pressure of at most an inch of water depth.

That said I also decided to not tie this into the sewage system, this would require a p-trap plus a vent pipe where the drain is, which is not something I want. I even had the bright idea of dumping my fish room directly into it, but examining the laundry sink drain and seeing all the skimmer gunk that's in it (the slope of the pipe is less than ideal.. but it's an unfortunate trade off I have to make), so I imagine that 1" of "water" depth in the french drain and thought briefly that instead it would be a 1" thick sludge of skimmer crap (literally) and the smell that my fishroom would constantly be in unless I constantly cleaned out the drain...

So the french drain simply drains outside to a storm drain (that I need to get a plumber to look at), and the sink will have a proper drain/vent system (*grumble grumble* stupid code)