Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:25 AM   #1
GT350pwns
Registered Member

Setting up a new tank

I've been gathering supplies for a 93 gallon cube build for the better part of two years now. Well, I'm finally getting to the point to be able to order the tank. Going to go for the one that is not reef ready in order to reduce the footprint that the overflow takes up in the tank

The overflow that I picked up is a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow box. This overflow requires two 2.5" bulkheads drilled into the tank. I'd like to drill bulkheads for return as well and am not sure on what size those or my return lines should be. I plan on using a vectra L1 return pump. I know it's a bit overpowered, but planning on a manifold for extra equipment.

I'm also curious if I should build my own stand or go with the marineland one that they make for the tank. I'm not very crazy about how their stand looks. Frankly, I think it looks very cheaply made. And with drilling my own tank, I'm voiding the warranty on it anyway. If I decide to build my own, what materials and finishes would be recommended? I'm very new to the DIY aspect of all of this and don't know how to build something to hold up to prolonged exposure to moisture and humidity.

GT350pwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 09:53 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In general you should size your return piping to be equal to or larger than the largest output size that the pump supports..
So if it accepts up to 1" pipe on the output then your returns should be 1" or larger..

Personally in that situation I would just use 1" piping and throw a Tee on it somewhere to split it to 2 x 1" bulkheads in the tank because I just like having 2 return outlets in the tank vs one to allow more spread out flow..
Its all a personal preference though as far as 1 vs 2 or more..

And if you aren't happy with the off the shelf stands and can build your own then do so as you will be happier that way.. In general the off the shelf stands are crap..