Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2014, 04:01 PM   #1
r_okeanos
Registered Member

Reef set up

Good afternoon guys,

I am interested in doing a Caribbean biotope 100 gallon reef tank with gorgorians, ricordeas, zoas and maybe some pacific sps that look like their Atlantic counterparts. I really like the blue headed wrasse, yellow headed wrasse and flame cardinal fish but I know they are not safe with inverts. Does anyone have any experience on keeping reefs with urchins as their clean up crew? Do they go after sea stars, or just shrimp? I will probably try to showcase the refugium and add a few shrimps, green banded gobies and rusty gobies to recap the area (make it a tide-pool looking refugium with animals I've seen in the Caribbean). Not sure how to set up the later, but I'll post pics as soon as I do

Thanks!

r_okeanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 10:49 PM   #2
r_okeanos
Registered Member

anyone? or is deemed unworkable and i should change it to invert-safe fishes only?

Unread 03/03/2014, 10:52 PM   #3
MARINECRITTERS
Registered Member

The most common urchins in this hobby (tuxedo,long spine,etc) should be fine with most other inverts.

Current Tank Info: 91 Gallon Reef
MARINECRITTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2014, 11:06 PM   #4
r_okeanos
Registered Member

thanks for the reply. I meant, is keeping a reef tank with just corals and some of the reef safe urchins doable or are snails and hermit crabs a must? I am just trying to figure out if my idea of keeping blue headed wrasse and flame cardinals would be worth it

Unread 03/04/2014, 12:26 PM   #5
r_okeanos
Registered Member

so no one has experience keeping a reef tank with only sea urchins as the clean up crew? I suppose I'll let ya know how it turns out if anyone's interested

Unread 03/04/2014, 02:23 PM   #6
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_okeanos View Post
so no one has experience keeping a reef tank with only sea urchins as the clean up crew? I suppose I'll let ya know how it turns out if anyone's interested
I don't have any experience, but I'll be interested in the results. I'm sure its doable, you just have to keep a little more on top of any algae...

Unread 03/04/2014, 03:44 PM   #7
r_okeanos
Registered Member

yeah I thought having many urchins will help with that..and a queen conch to keep the sandbed clean

Tags
biotope, caribbean, non-reef safe wrasses, reef