Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2017, 08:34 AM   #51
Timfish
Registered Member

+1 to what Hippiesmell and Wzrdbear said back in 2010.

I have lots of these in all my tanks. And assuming different sizes indicate different species I've got different species together in the same system. And I've seen the same that Wzrdbear described back at the beginning of this thread. Looking at some of the responses ("vermitids growing through a monti"?!) and my understanding of how important feeding is to corals I gotta wonder if there's some other issue that's affecting the corals and not letting them compete and leaving food available for everything else. Unfortunately from what I've seen once this cycle gets going it's hard to correct using the traditional assumptions about limiting nutrients.

Unread 01/17/2017, 09:59 AM   #52
Isayso
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat I have hundreds of these little pests, I did introduced a Toby puffer a week ago,
He did nip at little tubes but he hasn't touched the big ones
And also he got appetite for one of my tricolor acro hasn't touched other corals but just that one..

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 10:38 AM   #53
becon776
Registered Member

Yup +1 vermetid growing thru monti cap

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 04:59 PM   #54
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I have these growing in my tank in large numbers but they don't seem to have harmed any corals. I do have the grow on the bottom of mdntipora and in side the return box. So far they are just apart of the eco system. But I also have a pair of malunarus wrasse who seem to make it their job at ridding my system of any buggers. The female is a much better hunter than the male too.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2017, 05:25 PM   #55
Isayso
Registered Member

Dunno what to do anymore... I have. A melanurus, 8 bumblebee snails, a Toby puffer...A aarghh

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 01/18/2017, 10:55 PM   #56
Isayso
Registered Member

hi guys!
check my new thread.. I think I hit the jackpot.. maybe is too early to speak but a big chunk of these pests are gone...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2619815

Unread 02/12/2017, 09:17 PM   #57
becon776
Registered Member

Lets keep this one alive... let the other die out. Update isayso?

Unread 02/13/2017, 09:04 AM   #58
Isayso
Registered Member

Sorry becon776...
The Toby did Eat / killed a bunch of them.. BUT after a couple of weeks he developed. A GOOD appetite for some of the. SPS.... he left the Building.

Unread 02/20/2017, 12:06 PM   #59
becon776
Registered Member

Ok... so i have had a strict philosophy over the last 8 yrs of reefing NO CRABS! The other day randomly and for no real reason at all I added about 20 blue leg hermits, and 3 emerald crabs. These guys have been going nonstop. All the the web "trash" has been picked clean off the rocks. I almost thought i saw a emerald picking at one of the tubes.
So i am gonna go ahead and put 15 more in and 5 scarlet and 1 more emerald. Lets see. Maybe these guys got a foothold bc i didnt have and hermits in cuc for a decade.

Unread 02/20/2017, 12:32 PM   #60
biecacka
Registered Member

^^^^^^interesting.....ill be following your progress^^^^^^^

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 11:25 AM   #61
Jonviviano
Registered Member

Want to keep this thread alive, These pests are now taking over my euphyllia. Hoping we can find a solution.

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 05:42 PM   #62
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
Ok... so i have had a strict philosophy over the last 8 yrs of reefing NO CRABS! The other day randomly and for no real reason at all I added about 20 blue leg hermits, and 3 emerald crabs. These guys have been going nonstop. All the the web "trash" has been picked clean off the rocks. I almost thought i saw a emerald picking at one of the tubes.
So i am gonna go ahead and put 15 more in and 5 scarlet and 1 more emerald. Lets see. Maybe these guys got a foothold bc i didnt have and hermits in cuc for a decade.

definitely I will be following your steps like a shadow ..
please keep us posted.. we cant give al up because of these pests

Unread 02/25/2017, 10:10 PM   #63
becon776
Registered Member

Ok so here is the update. In addition to dealing with this pest. I am also now i. A house that i will likely be at for a long time so i am really getting tank in shape. So there a ALOT of changes happening.

Ok blue legs and emeralds in a couple weeks ago. My rockk is cleaner than it been in years. I swear that the vermet8ds are not as active as before. The crabs have eaten all the old webs / detritus on rock. It has caused a nutrient influx in tank and so red slime has reared its head. Refreshed gfo and rox carbon. However i do remember somebody saying thay red slime took care of the vermetid problem. It smothered them out. Either way thungs are changing for the better it seems

Unread 02/26/2017, 08:10 AM   #64
Isayso
Registered Member

Nice to hear.
But do you actually see the vermetid snail
Declining?? Not believe active doesn't necessary mean that are Dying..

Unread 03/04/2017, 04:23 PM   #65
becon776
Registered Member

Here is what has happened these crabs have PICKED CLEAN all the old webs and detritus on rocks... which of course flooded tanks with new nutrients. Enter red slime. This has COVERED the rocks. RIP vermetids. We will see. I have never had a cyanno outbreak. But i know when i want to end it its easy with chemiclean. Which is a hell of alot better than vermetids.

Unread 03/04/2017, 04:25 PM   #66
becon776
Registered Member

Unread 03/09/2017, 07:57 AM   #67
becon776
Registered Member

Update red slime gone but veremtid still there :-/ i prob should have let the red slime go longer. Never had red slime, never used any chemicals in tank been reefing for over 17 yrs. I will say chemiclean is AMAZING wow. Dont hesitate to use this product for red slime.

Back to vermetids..... i did buy 'bone shears' from brs and the are HANDY. make short work of dealing with tge bigger tubes.
I cant say that the crabs kills the vermetids but they certainly annoy them and consistently steal their webs and cleanup the leftover ones. Which makes me happy. I love my rock and tank looks beautiful right now. I jist wish there was a bettrr answer orther than buy new rock and start cycling it or put some super non reef fish into my system

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:02 AM   #68
Isayso
Registered Member

Darn.. I want them gone.
Ain't gonna stop looking for
A remedy to this pest
Thanks for your info.

Unread 03/17/2017, 12:18 PM   #69
iced98lx
Registered Member

Interesting observation while working with some rock. I had taken some rock out of my tank and put it in my sump, then was ready to remove it alltogether. I dropped it strait into a saltwater bath and dosed a high dose of LaCL to soak up any phosphates in the water to help leach any phosphate out of the rock as fast as I could. I did it in saltwater as I wanted too re-use the rock immediately and not "Kill It" just use high doses of LaCL to leach phosphate as fast as possible. After a few treatments I noticed the Vermetid snails stopped webbing when dosing LaCL. A little further reading confirmed many people reporting the death of most filter feeders when there was high levels of sustained LaCL precipitate. Since I dosed heavily and frequently I would propose repeated heavy exposure to LaCL precipitate may have negative effects on these snails.

Just an observation.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 04:07 PM   #70
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

While this may be true just remember it can NOT be dosed, except into a filter sock if you run it in the display tank.

Unread 03/17/2017, 06:50 PM   #71
Isayso
Registered Member

Maybe taking the rocks out and dip them into a super solution of lanthanum for a few minutes

Unread 03/18/2017, 09:24 AM   #72
Sk8r
RC Mod

One fish I have known to wipe out a vermetid population is the purple tang, but ONLY in a large-enough tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 12:23 PM   #73
Retzius
Registered Member

Vermetid snails are underrated. I think they are the worst. I've had them in all my tanks and they eventually take over. Overtime they grow inside the return tubing impairing flow. I just started another tank about 6 months ago and am paranoid I did not introduce any from my older tank.

Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 08:49 PM   #74
Isayso
Registered Member

Let me tell you that I'm paranoid too
They are taking over everything

Unread 03/20/2017, 10:49 PM   #75
nashorn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
One fish I have known to wipe out a vermetid population is the purple tang, but ONLY in a large-enough tank.
I have a purple tang and I never seen it pick at it.
I also have about 50 hermit and they never seem to do anything either.

nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote