Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:35 AM   #1
coryjac0b
Registered Member

Apex Neptune Triacs & Low draw dosing pumps

One of my relay outlets is being used by a BRS 50ml/min for topoff and that leaves me with one relay outlet for dosing pumps.

Since the triacs aren't really good for low draw equipment, will adding a 2-way splitter to one of the Triacs with one female end to a doser and the other to a small desk lamp (20w bulb) cause enough draw for the triac to turn off successfully?

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:40 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

When I ran the BRS dosers they worked just fine on the triacs. My reefbrite strips on the other hand.....

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:10 AM   #3
coryjac0b
Registered Member

I've read mixed reviews, some say they work fine. Then others talk about a horror story. I just hate to take the chance.

coryjac0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:25 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did they use triacs on all the relay outlets? Or do you only have 2 and both are triac?
If not swap equipment around so that heaters or whatever are on the triacs and put the dosers/low current stuff on the regular relay outlets..

Of course I would say to try it first.. Dosers should require enough juice that the small leakage shouldn't be an issue..

Unread 03/21/2018, 01:27 PM   #5
n2585722
Registered Member

The issue is low power inductive loads emit a back EMF pulse when power is removed. Unfortunately this may be enough to turn the triac back on. If it does it will keep cycling like this and appear that the power remains on but it is actually turning on and off at a very high rate. Using a surge protector with a 330 volt clamping voltage will usually prevent this from happening. Also a non inductive load on the same output will also take care of it like illuminated power strip liberators.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 12:19 PM   #6
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I would not risk connecting a doser to a triac outlet, whether you add a load or not.
use the relay outlet or get a stand alone doser.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2018, 10:39 AM   #7
MHG
Registered Member

Funny. for 8 years I have had my dosing pumps on an EB8 with no issues. I rebuilt my system and added a new EB8 and I have the problem where the trial turn on for no reason. Since my system is new I don't need to dose yet, but its all set up and ready to go. But twice in the past month I have found my dosing pump on. I have logging turned on and they don't show up in the log because they have never been turned on. I ready and Neptune tells me that sometimes stick on but I haven't even gotten that far yet. My one pump turn ON all an its own.

I was considering adding a small light or some other load to see if that helps.

Unread 06/03/2018, 01:40 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Funny. for 8 years I have had my dosing pumps on an EB8 with no issues. I rebuilt my system and added a new EB8 and I have the problem where the trial turn on for no reason. Since my system is new I don't need to dose yet, but its all set up and ready to go. But twice in the past month I have found my dosing pump on. I have logging turned on and they don't show up in the log because they have never been turned on. I ready and Neptune tells me that sometimes stick on but I haven't even gotten that far yet. My one pump turn ON all an its own.

I was considering adding a small light or some other load to see if that helps.
AFAIK (I don't have the eb8 but remember others talking about it)... only 2 of the outlets are triacs.. The others are relay controlled and don't have this issue.. Switch to another outlet on the eb8..

Unread 06/04/2018, 03:24 AM   #9
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
AFAIK (I don't have the eb8 but remember others talking about it)... only 2 of the outlets are triacs.. The others are relay controlled and don't have this issue.. Switch to another outlet on the eb8..
On an EB8 1-3 & 5-7 are Triacs, 4&8 are relays.
On an EB4 - All 4 outlets are relays.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote