Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2008, 10:16 AM   #51
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

"Nice tank though, you've inspired me to do a planted marine aquascape!"

Thanks! That's what I like to hear!

"Do you have sell macro algae plants when you trim the plants down?"

I usually trade and sell the trimmings to my local fish stores - with each trim, it's difficult to get a real good portion of one select species of algae; if I had a grow out tank where I could just let it go, then I would definetly have a bunch to spare - but my trimmings right now are very miniscule... except for the grape caulerpa - but you can get that anywhere...

The_Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 06:29 PM   #52
ChloroPhil
Registered Member

Wonderboy,

You've come up with just about the perfect salt water aquarium. I've been keeping freshwater planted tanks for years and have been getting more and more excited about the salt water possibilities. Your choice of algal species is great and your fish are some of my favorite species. Gobies are the best!

Thank you very much for sharing your aquarium with us. I'll be drooling over it for a while to come.

ChloroPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 01:25 PM   #53
TheJay
Registered Member

sick tank dude, now i know how im gonna set up my display fuge on my tank

TheJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 01:35 PM   #54
derrikd
Registered Member

I like that look very cool

derrikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 05:00 PM   #55
ceige
Registered Member

very nice indeed.....

Unread 03/04/2008, 05:08 PM   #56
dzeadow
Premium Member

while inspired to do a planted tank, my inhabitants were merely hungry . I put in some calurpa (the grass blade looking kind, not the feather), some grape calurpa, and some red stuff. 2 days later it's all gone, and I think I have some fat and happy mithrax crabs and turbo snails! jerks... I guess I'll just keep the rest of the stuff in the sump!

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
dzeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 06:28 PM   #57
lulaface
Registered Member

dzeadow - I'm having the same problem. The caulerpa will grow faster than they can eat it, but the pretty red stuff I've added just turns into a snack. I'm catching the emerald crabs one by one and moving them to the fuge where they can eat all the caulerpa and chaeto they want. If you really want some macros in your tank you might need to consider the same thing. Once the caulerpa gets established it will grow faster than they can eat it. Maybe you can get it started in your fuge before transferring a lot of it at once into the main tank.

lulaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2008, 06:43 PM   #58
dzeadow
Premium Member

sounds like an idea. I have a bunch down there for now, once it starts rolling I'll transfer clippings into the main tank. I was also thinking of somehow suspending an acrylic rod from blinds in the tank and wrap the macro around that..basically out of reach from the culprits!

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
Unread 03/05/2008, 12:44 AM   #59
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Picture update:

Unread 03/05/2008, 12:46 AM   #60
djfrankie
Moved On

very nice and refreshing!

djfrankie

djfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 03:09 AM   #61
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

I wanted to share this, too:

Unread 03/05/2008, 05:33 AM   #62
yrema
Lounger

that my friend, is reaallly kick-arse! makes me wanna give my corals away and restart a planted SW tank.

Marty, Amery and Seth :)

Current Tank Info: 100gal Low-tech, Low-cost Mixed Reef
yrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 06:09 AM   #63
dzeadow
Premium Member

dude, I love it! now to just get some plants started!

You might have answered this somewhere along the line, but what are those black u-tubes on the right, some kind of overflow?

also, if you ever start selling some of your clippings and are willing to ship, let me know. you've got some cool macros in there that I'd be interested in. Beautiful tank, and as stated before... so refreshing to see something that's not totally SPS dominated. I doubt it'll get much look to it, but I'm going to submit you for TOTM just so people can look at something different for a change!

Unread 03/05/2008, 07:26 PM   #64
Reefersteve
Registered Member

Wow, I really love your set-up. I would love to do a cub lagoon set up like this. I would love to add red bubble tip or two also.

Do you find that you have to do a lot of maintenance, ie glass cleaning?

What is your feeding regime? Do you use phyto plankton?

Thanks for sharing

Steve

Current Tank Info: 34gal Red Sea Max
Reefersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 07:52 PM   #65
worlds under
Registered Member

can someone say

TANK OF THE MONTH?

you have my vote!!!

[url=http://www.marineplantedtanks.com/forum/][img]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1962/1001936aa5.jpg[/img][/url]

Current Tank Info: what day is it???
worlds under is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 08:02 PM   #66
dzeadow
Premium Member

i gave his name and this thread to Melev today just for that purpose. Let's see what happens.

Unread 03/05/2008, 08:06 PM   #67
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by worlds under
can someone say

TANK OF THE MONTH?

you have my vote!!!
Got my vote too!

djfrankie

Unread 03/05/2008, 11:13 PM   #68
matt880305
Registered Member

i love the tank my only ? is. you have that think overflow on you yet?

matt880305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 11:59 PM   #69
djfrankie
Moved On

What is the photoperiod?

Also, do you foresee any problems of running a similar system in my current sump for my mixed corals (SPS/LPS) reef tank?

The only thing I keep in there now is LR and Chaeto to help with nutrient export.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

djfrankie

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:12 AM   #70
dzeadow
Premium Member

dj, I'll let wonderboy also jump in, but there's a lot of people w/ SPS/LPS tanks that run sumps full of macro, usually it's just limited to caulerpa and chaeto tho since they're the fastest exporters of nutrients. some of the macro's wonderboy has are a little slower growing.. such as most of the red macros. Plus w/ a fuge you can get away with cheaper lighting such as CF bulbs (6500k) put into a clip on garage fixture for $15. Unless of course you're doing a display fuge in which case, I believe a system like this would be perfect. It'd allow you to feed your tank a little more with the ability to remove the nutrients via fuge.

Since my crabs are eating my macros when I put them in the tank, I was thinking of doing a small 10g display fuge, but that's all I need, one more tank !

Unread 03/06/2008, 06:39 AM   #71
Kolognekoral
Registered Member.

Frankie,

my 320l refugium is attached to my reef and runs with T5 lighting on an extended day of 18 hours. Other than the typical Caulerpas and Chaetomorpha I have a few red macros plus lots of small critters. It's a fascinating tank. One I would recommend to any reefkeeper. Mine has a DSB, but this is not necessary.

Current Tank Info: 1000l dual-tank w/sump, Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets reef; VERTEX Illumina SR260 LED+Red light, Vertex Alpha 250 skimmer
Kolognekoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2008, 07:19 AM   #72
djfrankie
Moved On

Thanks for the reply guys!

I have maintained Chaeto for a while now with some LR in there as well, but after seeing Wonderboy's tank I'm truly inspired to take it a step beyond.

I have some reading to do and any links will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie, got any pics?

Any fears of any of these macros taking over your main display or herbivores will take care of that issue?

TIA,
djfrankie

Unread 03/06/2008, 12:29 PM   #73
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

I'd imagine that if you've got some herbivores in your main tank, you wouldn't see any algae successfully growing in your main tank.

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback - I just wish you could see it in person - it's such an entertaining system, as with most reef tanks and well balanced systems.

Since a lot of you are saying that you may give something like this a try, be sure to post your progress not only on RC, but also here: Marine Planted Tanks (New forum, but hopefully it can better the planted side of marine aquarium keeping) :]

Unread 03/06/2008, 01:22 PM   #74
dzeadow
Premium Member

Hey Wonderboy... I bought a couple of hi-fin shrimp gobies, the ones with the yellow heads like you have. How long did it take for them to get used to the tank so they were out more often? I never see mine but during feeding time... one of them (in a seperate tank) doesn't even come out then. Would the addition of a pistol help with this? And how much noise do those pistols make? I've got the tanks in my room so if there were constant clicking noises all night it might drive me crazy! I also don't want to lose to many inverts.

Unread 03/06/2008, 03:53 PM   #75
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

dzeadow, I have never kept any shrimp gobies without a pistol shrimp, so I'd imagine that you don't see yours because they're missing their hole digger, and perhaps they don't feel very safe without a proper hole. I'd definetly get them a shrimp. You said you've got a couple of hi-fin bandeds, and I've personally seen mine share holes in different ways - I've seen them with 2 gobies per 1 shrimp, 1 goby per 1 shrimp, and 1 goby per 2 shrimps. If I were you, I'd try for 2 shrimps seeing as the way they pair up is completely up to them (2 randalli or 2 tiger pistols - not one of each). If you're worried about noise - I must say I've not heard mine click EVER. I keep five randallis in this tank and have not heard a single noise to date. I have only kept one tiger pistol before with a yellow watchman in another system, and I never heard a sound from him either. I imagine it is a defense feature, and since I have never kept any predators to these shrimp, there's been no need for them to "shoot". Hope this helps - let me know what you end up doing... :]